Request for consultation
UNDERSTANDING PROCEDURAL CODING: A WORKTEXT, 4TH Edition is the most trusted source available for current CPT®-4 diagnostic and procedural coding, as well as HIPAA and other strict guidelines established by federal agencies, Medicare, and the American Medical Association. Carefully illustrated procedures, new case studies, practical coding assignments, and engaging examples help students master procedural coding for all medical specialties as well as successfully prepare for certification exams. Students record answers in the book, creating a personalized, ongoing resource that they will use well into their careers. Used on its own or as the ideal companion for CPT® and HCPCS Level II manuals, UNDERSTANDING PROCEDURAL CODING: A WORKTEXT, 4th Edition presents plenty of hands-on practice to help students master skills. A dynamic support package includes new online study tools to ensure comprehension as well as a 59-day trial of Optum’s® popular EncoderPro that accompanies each new worktext. Trust UNDERSTANDING PROCEDURAL CODING: A WORKTEXT, 4th Edition to help equip your students for procedural coding success.
- Extra Practice: Additional case studies in each chapter, as well as added test-bank questions in a variety of formats, help students apply coding skills and concepts to practical situations.
- More Exercises: New chapter exercises develop student competency for a variety of medical careers, as well as success on certification examinations.
- Updated Codes: Current content reflects the latest CPT®-4 and HCPCS codes to prepare students to step directly into a modern working environment.
- Fresh PowerPoint® Slides: Reinforce the latest CPT® codes with new PowerPoint® slides that keep students engaged while clarifying concepts and practices.
- Flexible Content: Alone or as the ideal companion to UNDERSTANDING ICD-9-CM: A WORKTEXT, this practical book also complements any CPT® or HCPCS Level II manual.
- Broad Application: Comprehensive information on the CPT procedural coding system works for courses and careers in various professional disciplines, including health information management, health information technology, medical office assistant, coding and reimbursement specialist, and health insurance specialist.
- Unmatched Accuracy: Painstakingly updated CPT-4 codes and details to meet 2014 industry standards combine to make this book a reliable resource for both novices and professionals.
- Robust Features: Chapters include a variety of Delmar-Cengage learning features to enhance readings and stimulate interest, including chapter outlines, learning objectives, key terms lists, examples, boxes, notes, tables, Internet links, summaries, reviews and figures
About the Author.
1. Introduction to Current Procedural Terminology.
3. Evaluation and Management.
5. Surgery and the Integumentary System.
6. Musculoskeletal System.
7. Respiratory System.
8. Cardiovascular System.
9. Hemic and Lymphatic Systems.
10. Mediastinum and Diaphragm.
11. Digestive System.
12. Urinary System.
13. Male Genital System.
14. Female Genital System.
15. Maternity Care and Delivery.
16. Endocrine System.
17. Nervous System.
18. Eye and Ocular Adnexa.
19. Auditory System and Operating Microscope.
21. Pathology And Laboratory.
23. HCPCS Codes.
Appendix I: Billing Forms (CMS-1500 and Ub-04).
Appendix II: Surgical Positions.
Appendix III: Abdominopelvic Divisions.
Appendix IV: 1997 Documentation Guidelines for Evaluation and Management Services.
“I intend to use it next semester and will recommend it as it truly is a work text which eliminates the need for an exercise book in addition to a textbook.” - Linda H. Donahue, RHIT, CCS, CCS-P, CPC, Delgado Community College
“I would recommend UPC. I think that UPC is a great work text and it's not intimidating to the students.” - Veronica Hodges, BS, MA, CPC, CBCS, Rowan-Cabarrus Community College
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor Companion Website
Find everything you need for your course in one place. This collection of product-specific lecture and class tools is available online via the instructor resource center at www.cengage.com/login. You'll be able to access and download materials such as PowerPoint® presentations, instructor’s manual, and more.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero®, is a flexible, online system that allows you to import, edit, and manipulate content from the text’s test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions. Create multiple test versions in an instant and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.