Request for consultation
Understanding Computers: Today and Tomorrow gives your students a classic introduction to computer concepts with a modern twist! Known for its emphasis on industry insight and societal issues, this text makes concepts relevant to today's career-focused students and has increased emphasis on mobile computing and related issues such as mobile commerce and mobile security.
- Increased emphasis on mobile computing (including smartphones, media tablets, mobile apps, and issues such as mobile commerce and mobile security).
- New Balancing Act project in each chapter (states a current issue and students need to pick a side and defend it).
- All topics and figures updated for currency.
- New Hardware Developments: Includes smartphones, media tablets, Google Glass, hybrid notebook-tablet computers, personal 3D printers, projector phones, perceptual computing, gesture input, , DNA storage, 4K (Ultra HD) Blu-ray Discs, and digital ecosystems.
- New Software Developments: Includes big data, Firefox OS, iOS 7, Windows Phone 8, and other new mobile operating systems, Office 2013, digital badges, and the impact of cloud computing.
- New Networking Technologies: Includes new and emerging Wi-Fi standards, the Internet of Things (IoT), Bluetooth Smart, software defined networking (SDN), and new Wi-Fi-enabled products such as smart thermostats, scales, and Wi-Fi locks.
- New Mobile and Web Applications: Includes Bring Your Own Device (BYOD), mobile ticketing, group messaging, geofencing, NFC and other device-based digital wallets, mobile payment processing, Google Now, and mobile ergonomics, as well as cloud printing, Internet monitors, virtual currency, military virtual worlds, social commerce, social media integration, and cloud-based digital wallets.
- New Security Risks and Precautions: Includes BYOD security issues, social media hacks, ransomware, emerging biometric systems (vein readers, digital tattoo), soft and hard tokens for OTPs/two-factor authentication, 3D Secure online purchase verification, wireless tethers for mobile devices, and proximity devices and apps to automatically lock and unlock a computer.
- New Software and Web Development Tools: Includes HTML5, push content and xRTML, Web analytics, social media analytics, user interface (UI) builders, wireframes, integrated development environments (IDEs), Dart, IFTTT Web services, and the Android SDK and Eclipse IDE for creating Android apps.
- Ask the Expert: Features guest experts from top-name companies such as Microsoft, McDonald's, SONIC, Reddit, Dice, Symantec, Logitech, Lenovo, Kingston, Seagate, SanDisk, Sony Animations, D-Link, GreenDisk, and iRobot who discuss how concepts covered in each chapter relate to students lives or careers in the IT industry.
- Special Features: Trend, Inside the Industry, How It Works, and Technology and You boxes take a look at how computers and technology work or are used in everyday life.
- Learning Tools: Include Review Activities, Key Terms, Self-Quiz, Exercises, and Discussion Questions; Hot Topics, Hands On, Ethics in Action, Presentation/Demonstration, and Balancing Act projects extend student knowledge through research and activities.
- CHAPTER FEATURE BOXES give students a look at future technologies, as well as how computers and technology are used in everyday life.
- MODULAR ORGANIZATION emphasizes the relationship among topics and chapters.
- "ASK THE EXPERT" BOXES offer career advice and technological insights from industry leaders.
- "EXPERT INSIGHT" ARTICLES provide students with personal insights on the module's topics, including how they impact IT careers and advice for the future.
- CourseMate all-in-one digital solution includes an interactive media-rich e-book, engaging activities for reinforcement, videos and video podcasts, and the Engagement Tracker feature for no hassle automatic grading.
- Interviews with industry experts provide students with current and accurate insight on new technologies and trends.
- Emphasis throughout the book on societal issues such as ethics, intellectual property rights, security, and privacy keeps students informed on topics that are relevant to their lives today.
- Updated to cover current and emerging technologies and how they affect students' lives today!
- CAUTION boxes offer practical tips that students can use immediately to protect themselves from hardware, security, or privacy problems.
2. The System Unit: Processing and Memory.
4. Input and Output.
5. System Software: Operating Systems and Utility Programs.
6. Application Software.
7. Computer Networks.
8. The Internet and the World Wide Web.
9. Network and Internet Security.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Companion Website, Comprehensive
Find everything you need for your course in one place. This collection of book-specific lecture and class tools is available online via www.cengage.com/login. Access and download PowerPoint® presentations, images, instructor's manual, videos, and more.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access for Morley/Parker's Understanding Computers: Today and Tomorrow, Comprehensive
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero®, is a flexible, online system that allows you to import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions. Create multiple test versions in an instant and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.