Request for consultation
Delivering comprehensive coverage of current domestic and global trends, TRANSPORTATION: A SUPPLY CHAIN PERSPECTIVE, 8E equips your students with a solid understanding of what is arguably the most critical−and complex−component of global supply chains. Taking a managerial approach, the text helps readers understand the fundamental role and importance of transportation in companies and in society, as well as the complex environment in which transportation service is provided today. It begins by providing a framework and foundation for the role of transportation from a micro and macro perspective in supply chains and discusses both the theoretical and managerial dimensions of transportation in supply chains, including regulation and public policy. Focusing on the providers of transportation, it offers an overview of operating and service characteristics, cost structure, and current challenges and issues. In addition, the authors spotlight a variety of critical transportation management issues, providing insightful discussions of the strategic activities and challenges involved in the movement of goods through the supply chain. Completely up to date, the Eighth Edition also features new readings, cases, and examples. It emphasizes global topics throughout, includes new coverage of hard and soft technology, and offers expanded discussions of fuel, energy, managerial, economic, and environmental issues.
- Cutting-Edge Coverage: Reflecting the latest trends, issues, and developments from the field, TRANSPORTATION: A SUPPLY CHAIN PERSPECTIVE, 8E offers the most current coverage available. Examples, boxes, tables, and end-of-chapter materials have been thoroughly updated to reflect the latest industry information and practices, while numerous chapters feature all-new Cases.
- Expanded Topics: Drawing straight from real-world practice, the text offers in-depth discussions of hard and soft technology as well as fuel, energy, managerial, economic, and environmental issues.
- International Emphasis: The Eighth Edition offers new and expanded discussions of global topics throughout the text, providing thorough coverage of issues specific to international transportation and supply chains.
- New Cases and Readings: Each chapter includes at least one new case spotlighting current examples from real-world practice. Suggested readings have also been updated.
- Updated Instructor Resources: The instructor manual and test banks have been completely updated to coincide with the textbook.
- Comprehensive Coverage: TRANSPORTATION: A SUPPLY CHAIN PERSPECTIVE, 8E delivers thorough coverage of current domestic and global transportation trends. The U.S. has seen an increased importance placed on transportation security both within and outside its borders, and the dramatic volatility in worldwide fuel prices has put a strain on transportation costs and capacity. These events illustrate that transportation may be the most critical−and most vulnerable−component of global supply chains. This text ensures your students have a thorough understanding of the key transportation issues impacting today's market.
- Hands-On Applications: Group and individual projects and activities keep students involved and engaged with hands-on learning, giving them plenty of opportunities to put what they learn into practice.
- Expansive End-of-Chapter Material: Ideal for homework assignments or lively in-class discussions, end-of-chapter material includes a Summary, Study Questions, and two Cases with Case Questions that require students to apply chapter concepts to real-world scenarios and think critically about the concepts.
- Online Resources: Find the time-saving support you need on the textbook website. Available materials include an up-to-date instructor manual and test banks. It also includes flashcards, a glossary, and additional study tools to help your students maximize their course success.
1. Transportation and Global Supply Chains.
2. Transportation and the Economy.
3. Transportation Regulation and Public Policy.
4. Transportation Costing and Pricing.
Suggested Readings for Part I.
5. Motor Carriers.
8. Water Carriers and Pipelines.
Suggested Readings for Part II.
9. Global Transportation and Risk Management.
10. Global Transportation Planning.
11. Global Transportation Execution.
12. Global Transportation Strategic Sourcing.
Suggested Readings for Part III.
13. Fuel Management.
14. Issues and Challenges for Global Supply Chains.
Suggested Readings for Part IV.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero is a flexible, online system that allows you to author, edit, and manage test bank content from multiple Cengage Learning solutions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your learning management system, your classroom, or wherever you want! Access this resource and any other instructor resources from Cengage Learning via your instructor account at login.cengage.com.