Request for consultation
This unique text articulates a solution-focused, collaborative model of consultation that operates within a systems view of a school. This model allows counselors to conceptualize and employ a number of interventions, from those that take place at the level of a single student to those addressing the expanse of the community at large. In addition to its unique integrative model, the text distinguishes itself from others in its pedagogical approach. This book blends theory with practice and provides students with the tools to apply concepts through the use of practice exercises, case simulations and illustrations.
1. The School Counselor: Addressing the Increasing Need for Service.
2. Consulting: Providing an Integrated Model of Service Delivery.
Section II: THE NEEDS OF ONE WITHIN THE CONTEXT OF MANY.
3. The School as System: Basic Elements.
4. System Dynamics: Responding to Change.
5. The Counselor as an Agent of Change.
Section III: FACILITATING THE CONSULTATIVE PROCESS.
6. The Stages of the Consultation Process.
7. Communication for Effective Consulting.
8. Working with Resistance.
Section IV: CONSULTATION FOCI.
9. Client Focused Consultation: The Student as Client.
10. The Consultee as Focus: When Knowledge, Skill, and Objectivity are Needed.
11. The Group as Client: From Team Building to Mediation.
12. The System as Client: System Focused Consultation.
13. Ethical Concerns and Considerations.
14. Applying What We Know.
"This text addresses an important issue for school counselors in an in depth fashion that I have not seen anywhere else--systematic consultation. The book covers consultation with both breadth and depth."
"I found THE SCHOOL COUNSELOR AS CONSULTANT to be a comprehensive text covering both theory and practice of consultation in the schools. Its strengths include: a thorough review of the literature, relevant application exercises and helpful suggested readings and Web sites."