Request for consultation
Compelling, comprehensive, and accessible, Lewis and Lewis's THE POWER OF ART, 3e features an exciting new layout and gorgeous images -- all designed to connect with today's student. Instructors and students continue to praise the engaging, conversational writing style that makes it easier for students to both understand and enjoy reading the material. THE POWER OF ART delivers a brief, yet comprehensive survey, demonstrating that art is everywhere and relevant to all students -- no matter what their majors happen to be. The text incorporates global material throughout to demonstrate cultural intersections and mutual influences. "Art News" boxes present real events that connect art to students' lives. In addition to excellent art history coverage, THE POWER OF ART features a diverse mix of artists and spotlights the latest technologies used to create art. Digital resources that accompany the book make it easier for students to learn and study the material. The set includes image flashcards, Foundations Interactive Modules, videos, quizzes, an interactive book, and more. With the best price in the market, THE POWER OF ART delivers unrivaled value for instructors and students alike.
- Over 100 new images, including the highest-quality versions of views that appeared in previous editions.
- New beautiful and lively design reflects the engaging writing style and content.
- "Lives of the Artists" box have been added throughout to highlight the artists behind the art. "British Bad Boys: Hirst and Banksy," for example, describes the two artists and their different views on art and their paths to success. Students will learn more about modern and contemporary artists such as Picasso, Elsa Schiaparelli, June Wayne, Nick Cave, and Martin Puryear as well as old masters such as Caravaggio and Gentileschi.
- Rich set of integrated online learning tools. CourseMate includes Foundations Interactive Modules, In the Studio video footage of art classes, quizzing and Image Flashcards — which include most fine art images in the text, maps, and illustrations. Videos provide discussions and 360 walk arounds of important sites.
- "Art News" boxes discuss real events that often rocked the world, such as the theft of Mona Lisa. These boxes are both entertaining and illuminating for students. New boxes include Turner, the Fire King, and The Mud Angels of Florence.
- The "A Global View" boxes expose students to art and culture from around the world. These boxes demonstrate the diversity and complexity of myriad cultures across the globe and are integrated throughout the text, rather than isolated in a separate chapter, to provide students with a better worldview.
- "Art Issues" boxes discuss important current concerns and controversies facing the art world. Topics include "Pilgrimages for a New Age", detailing travel to hard-to-reach earthwork sites, "What's the Difference Between a Print and a Poster", and "The Elgin Marbles Controversy."
- THE POWER OF ART features more diverse and contemporary artists (more than thirty added for this edition) with many new works by women, including Petah Coyne, Ana Mendieta, Julie Mehretu, Nina Paley, June Wayne, Betsabeé Romero, and Front Design Studio of Stockholm. Among the many international artists added are Gabriel Orozco, Wangechi Mutu, Laila Essaydi, Jun-Nguyen Hatsushiba, Yinka Shonibare, Damián Ortega, and El Anatsui.
- Timelines help place works from different cultures in a historical framework. Maps help place works in their geographical context.
1. The Power of Art.
2. The Primary Elements.
3. The Principles of Design.
PART II: THE ARTIST'S MATERIALS AND TOOLS.
8. New Media: Time and Digital Arts.
11. Decorative Arts, Crafts and Design.
PART III: A GLOBAL HERITAGE.
12. Ancient Empires, Ancient Gods.
13. The Age of Faith.
14. The Renaissance.
15. Drama and Light: Mannerism, The Baroque, and Rococo.
PART IV: THE MODERN ERA.
16. The Battle of the Ism's: Neoclassicism, Romanticism, and Realism.
17. Out of the Studio and into the Light: Impressionism and Post-Impressionism.
18. The Real World on Trial: The Early Twentieth Century.
19. The Invisible Made Visible: Abstract and Nonrepresentational Art.
20. A Storm of Images: Art in the Contemporary World.
"The 'Art News' boxes are great. They make the work being discussed relevant, and give the reader fun facts that aren't traditionally included in an art history text."
"It is a very well written book, very informative and conversational at times and the language doesn't try to go over the heads of the students or to condescend. Well done."
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Bring digital images into the classroom with this powerful tool, now available on flashdrive! This one-stop lecture and class presentation tool makes it easy to assemble, edit, and present customized lectures for your course using Microsoft® PowerPoint®. The Digital Image Library provides high-resolution images for lecture presentations, either in an easy-to-use PowerPoint presentation format, or in individual file formats compatible with other image-viewing software. A zoom feature allows you to magnify selected portions of an image for more detailed display in class or you can display images side by side for comparison and contrast. You can easily customize your classroom presentation by adding your own images to those from the text. The PowerLecture also includes an electronic Instructor's Manual and a Test Bank with multiple-choice, matching, short-answer, and essay questions in ExamView® computerized format.
CourseMate Instant Access
Cengage Learning's Art CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study and exam preparation tools that support the printed textbook. Use Engagement Tracker to monitor student engagement in the course and watch student comprehension soar as your class works with the printed textbook and the textbook-specific website. An interactive eBook allows students to take notes, highlight and links to relevant materials in the CourseMate site. Packed with tools to enhance students' comprehension skills, CourseMate includes "Foundations Interactive" modules, "In the Studio" video footage of art classes, quizzing and image flashcards which include most fine art images in the text, maps, and illustrations.
CourseMate Instant Access
The more you study, the better the results. Make the most of your study time by accessing everything you need to succeed in one place. Open the interactive eBook, take notes, review image flashcards, watch videos, and take practice quizzes online with CourseMate. Additionally you will find "Foundations Interactive" modules, "In the Studio" video footage of art classes, quizzing and image flashcards which include most fine art images in the text, maps, illustrations, and more.