Request for consultation
THE LEGAL ENVIRONMENT OF BUSINESS is the #1 text for this course--setting the standard by delivering comprehensive, authoritative, and cutting-edge coverage in an interesting and accessible format. Its recipe for success includes the same black letter law flavor as its market-leading counterpart, BUSINESS LAW by Clarkson, Miller, and Cross, but with a specific focus on current topics such as ethics, government regulation, and administrative law. The cases, content, and features of the exciting new ninth edition have been thoroughly updated to represent the latest developments in the business law environment. An excellent assortment of cases ranges from precedent-setting landmarks to important recent decisions, and ethical, global, and corporate themes are integrated throughout. In addition, numerous critical-thinking exercises challenge students to apply what they've learned to real-world issues, and the text offers an unmatched range of support materials, including innovative online teaching and learning resources. The ninth edition offers an unmatched range of digital solutions, including MindTap™ and CengageNOW to engage and prepare students online. It's no wonder THE LEGAL ENVIRONMENT OF BUSINESS is used by more colleges and universities than any other legal environment text.
- New for Cross/Miller, MindTap™ is a fully online, highly personalized learning experience that combines readings, multimedia, activities, and assessments from CengageNOW into a singular Learning Path that guides students through their course. You personalize the experience by customizing authoritative Cengage Learning content and learning tools, including the ability to add your own content in the Learning Path with apps that integrate seamlessly into the MindTap™ framework with Learning Management Systems. Learn more at www.cengage.com/mindtap.
- A new Legal Reasoning Group Activity at the end of each chapter provides a business scenario and requires each group of students to answer a specific question pertaining to the scenario using the information provided in the chapter. These activities can be used to promote class discussion or completed as homework.
- A new Managerial Strategy feature included in selected chapters focuses on management aspects of business.
- This edition has a new emphasis on social media and a new Insight into Social Media feature because it is a relevant topic in the business world.
- New Chapter 15, "Internet Law, Social Media, and Privacy," includes the material on the Internet from the previous chapter "Intellectual Property and Internet Law" in addition to information that addresses social media and privacy.
- Chapter 4, "Business Ethics," is completely revised and includes more hypothetical situations for students to explore.
- Product liability is now covered with strict liability. The chapter "Strict Liability and Product Liability" follows Chapter 12, "Torts."
- Cases that have a monumental impact on the development of the law are now identified as "Classic Cases." They include a section that spells out the importance of the case for students.
- New Spotlight Cases and Spotlight Case Problems provide fun and interesting fact patterns and are good teaching cases.
- New Issue Spotters features included at the end of the chapters help students identify the issues and apply the laws they learned about.
- Reviewing features, found at the end of every chapter, help solidify the students' understanding of the chapter materials. The features present hypothetical scenarios and then ask a series of questions that require students to identify the issues and apply legal concepts.
- Debate This follows each Reviewing feature and consists of a brief statement or question concerning the chapter material that can be used to spur lively classroom discussion or to complete in small groups. It also can be used as a written assignment.
- The ninth edition lives up to this text's strong reputation for outstanding selection and editing cases with the return of many classic cases from earlier editions, as well as many new cases and case problems from 2013.
- In addition to a full chapter on ethics and business decision making, the text includes Insight Into Ethics features that are integrated throughout, Ethical Dimension questions that conclude many cases, Focus on Ethics features that conclude every unit, and A Question of Ethics exercises in the end-of-chapter problem sets.
- Each Insight into [Ethics, E-Commerce, Global, Environment, or Social Media] feature concludes with a Critical Thinking question, and a set of Dimensions questions follows each case excerpt, allowing the text to address the AACSB curriculum requirement to explore global, political, ethical, social, environmental, technological, and cultural contexts of business law.
- THE LEGAL ENVIRONMENT OF BUSINESS offers an effective mix of classic and landmark cases, with recent cases on key topics that not only provide modern examples of business law but also interest today's students. Case examples are excerpted (in the language of the court) and have been carefully selected and edited to offer student accessibility and appeal while providing a solid illustration of how courts interpret and apply the law.
- To enhance students' ability to learn and retain important information about applications of the law to real-world situations, Impact of Case on Today's Law features conclude the landmark and classic cases, illustrating the relevance of these cases to modern law, and every case concludes with a critical thinking questions to promote in-depth analysis.
- A lengthy Extended Case excerpt, presented in the language of the court, is included in every chapter to help students identify the legal principles and issues that today's businesses face. The excerpts are suitable for case briefing assignments and conclude with two questions that guide students' analysis of the case and help build their legal reasoning skills.
- One Special Case Analysis question per unit guides students through the IRAC process in analyzing one of the Extended Cases, and end-of-chapter material includes a Question and a Case Problem with a Sample Answer (available in an appendix within the text or on the Companion Web Site) to provide students with a comparison for their own answers and an example of what to include when answering case problems.
- Selected cases conclude with What If the Facts Were Different? questions that alter the facts of the case and ask student to decide if the same ruling would result. Debate This sections at the end of the Reviewing features also encourage critical thinking and more thoughtful analysis.
- Chapters conclude with hypothetical scenarios and questions that require students to identify the relevant legal issues and apply the legal concepts covered in the chapter, enabling them to review the material effectively while applying it practically.
- THE LEGAL ENVIRONMENT OF BUSINESS is supported by the latest course management tools, including CengageNOW, a unique Web-based application that enables you to easily create and administer text-specific assignments that are automatically graded. With CengageNOW, students come to class better prepared, and you can readily assess overall student progress and identify areas on which to focus lectures and instruction. The application features a variety of question types, including essays and questions to test simple reading comprehension, complex critical thinking, legal reasoning, and case analysis skills.
1. Law and Legal Reasoning.
2. The Court System.
3. Alternative and Online Dispute Resolution.
4. Business Ethics.
Unit 2: THE PUBLIC AND INTERNATIONAL ENVIRONMENT.
5. Business and the Constitution.
6. Administrative Agencies.
7. Criminal Law and Cyber Crime.
8. International Law in a Global Economy.
Unit 3: THE COMMERCIAL ENVIRONMENT.
9. Formation of Traditional and E-Contracts.
10. Contract Performance, Breach, and Remedies.
11. Sales and Lease Contracts.
13. Strict Liability and Product Liability.
14. Intellectual Property Rights.
15. Internet Law, Social Media, and Privacy.
16. Creditor-Debtor Relations and Bankruptcy.
Unit 4: THE BUSINESS ENVIRONMENT.
17. Small Business Organizations.
18. Limited Liability Business Forms.
Unit 5: THE EMPLOYMENT ENVIRONMENT.
21. Employment Relationships.
22. Employment Discrimination.
23. Immigration and Labor Law.
Unit 6: THE REGULATORY ENVIRONMENT.
24. Consumer Protection.
25. Environmental Law and Sustainability.
26. Real Property and Land Use Control.
27. Antitrust Law.
28. Investor Protection and Corporate Governance.
Appendix A: How to Brief Cases and Analyze Case Problems.
Appendix B: The Constitution of the United States.
Appendix C: Article 2 of the Uniform Commercial Code.
Appendix D: The Sarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002 (Excerpts and Explanatory Comments)
Appendix E: Answers to the Issue Spotters.
Appendix F: Sample Answers for Business Case Problems with Sample Answer.
Instructor's Companion Website
Find everything you need in one place. The Instructor’s Companion Website is the place for you to download all the teaching resources -- instructor’s manual, PowerPoint® slide decks, and LMS versions of the test bank questions.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to: import, edit, and manipulate content from the text’s test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.