Request for consultation
Being a successful graphic designer today requires more than knowing the essential features of industry-standard software applications. It also requires an understanding of how to integrate these programs into a seamless whole while producing work that conforms to design principles and client expectations. This fully revised fifth edition of THE GRAPHIC DESIGNER'S DIGITAL TOOLKIT provides comprehensive overview of Macintosh OS X Leopard and Windows 7 operating systems, design fundamentals, and the "Big 3" digital design programs used in the graphics industry today: Adobe® Illustrator® CS5, Adobe® Photoshop® CS5, and Adobe® InDesign® CS5. The book examines the essential features of each, then reveals in practical detail the traditional skills and technology necessary for effective design for print and Web Media. This project-based book features a highly visual introduction to the essential tools and functions of each application from the perspective of the working designer. Readers are then given the hands on opportunity to put what they learn to work by tackling design projects from concept to completion with assignments drawn from the everyday world of professional graphic designers. All files needed for projects and tutorials are found on the accompanying text CD.
- New Photoshop CS5 features covered including the Scrubby Zoom option with Zoom tool, Mini Bridge feature, new masking techniques with the Refine Edge function, enhanced presets in Black and White conversions, and use of the Smart Sharpen function.
- Coverage of several new Illustrator CS5 tools and features including the Shape Builder tool, creating variable width strokes with the new Stroke panel, a new type of brush library called Bristle Brushes, and creating compact PDF documents.
- Includes information on the new Gap tool, new enhanced Layers panel, the Pop up Swatches panel and many other new InDesign CS5 tools and features.
- Covers all the new Adobe® CS5 Suite features in Photoshop®, Illustrator®, and InDesign®, and new features with Mac OSX Leopard and Windows 7.
- Artwork illustrations have been revised and enhanced to reflect new interface and changes in Adobe® CS5 applications with over 40 projects and tutorials.
- Design tips, and special "Toolkit Tips" are incorporated through out each project and tutorial to understand the importance of integrating traditional concepts and techniques with today's software advances.
- Includes several new projects such as "Using Selections to Replace Color on a Sports Car" in Photoshop, to showcase new selection technologies and accurate toning for truly realistic effects, and "Creating Playing Cards" to showcase Illustrator's new Shape Builder tool for customized shapes.
- All files needed for projects and tutorials are found on the accompanying text CD with additional resources found on the accompanying website at www.digitoolkit.com.
Background of This Text.
Textbook Organization xviii.
New to Edition .
How to Use This Text.
Design and Toolkit Tips.
Advanced Users and Digital Toolkit Extra Sections.
Unit Review Project.
The Learning Package.
Who Is the Author?
Questions and Feedback.
1. Welcome to the Land of OS.
2. Designing for the Client .
3. Adjusting Images in Photoshop.
4. Working with Selections and Channels.
5. Using Layers.
6. Restoring and Coloring a Black and White Photograph.
7. Creating Shapes with Illustrator.
8. Working with Brushes, Symbols, and Layers.
9. Precision with the Pen Tool.
10. Integrating Photoshop and Illustrator Files for Web Use.
11. InDesign Fundamentals.
12. Working with Multipage Documents.
Appendix A: Completed Projects and Tutorials.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
CourseMate Instant Access
Cengage Learning’s CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools that support the printed textbook. Watch student comprehension soar as your class works with the printed textbook and the textbook-specific website. [Discipline] CourseMate goes beyond the book to deliver what you need!
CourseMate Instant Access
The more you study, the better the results. Make the most of your study time by accessing everything you need to succeed in one place. Read your textbook, take notes, review flashcards, watch videos, and take practice quizzes—online with CourseMate.