Request for consultation
Framed in a student-friendly writing style, Healey presents the essentials of statistics with an applied approach. Healey encourages skill development for statistical literacy, emphasizing computational competence and the ability to read social science literature with greater comprehension.
- The previous edition's Chapters 2 and 3 have been combined in order to streamline the material and help the text better suit the needs of both the quarter- and semester-length course.
- This edition includes additional real-world examples that show the application of statistical concepts to everyday occurrences.
- New "Statistics in Everyday Life" features bring interesting statistical findings to students' attention and ask students questions that encourage them to think about the implications of these findings.
- The new "One Step at a Time" feature presents at-a-glance computational procedures for each statistic, making it easy for students to apply their knowledge immediately and appreciate the practical value of the material.
- Problems Sets at the end of each chapter, organized progressively, help students develop problem-solving abilities gradually and progressively.
- Learning Objectives, Chapter Summary, Summary of Formulas, and a Chapter Glossary provide students with tools to gain a clearer understanding of the concepts presented.
- The "SPSS for Windows" section, which follows the Problem Sets at the end of each chapter, includes material on using SPSS, often with GSS data, demonstrations, and exercises.
- Each chapter includes features that demonstrate the application of statistical concepts, including step-by-step computing, applications, and "Statistics in Everyday Life" boxes.
Prologue: Basic Mathematical Review.
Part I: DESCRIPTIVE STATISTICS.
2. Basic Descriptive Statistics: Percentages, Ratios and Rates, Frequency Distributions, Charts and Graphs.
3. Measures of Central Tendency.
4. Measures of Dispersion.
5. The Normal Curve.
Part II: INFERENTIAL STATISTICS.
6. Introduction to Inferential Statistics, the Sampling Distribution, and Estimation.
7. Hypothesis Testing I: The One-Sample Case.
8. Hypothesis Testing II: The Two-Sample Case.
9. Hypothesis Testing III: The Analysis of Variance.
10. Hypothesis Testing IV: Chi Square.
Part III: BIVARIATE MEASURES OF ASSOCIATION.
11. Introduction to Bivariate Association and Measures of Association for Variables Measured at the Nominal Level.
12. Association Between Variables Measured at the Ordinal Level.
13. Association Between Variable Measured at the Interval-Ratio Level.
Part IV: MULTIVARIATE TECHNIQUES.
14. Partial Correlation and Multiple Regression and Correlation.
Appendix A: Area Under the Normal Curve.
Appendix B: Distribution of t.
Appendix C: Distribution of Chi Square.
Appendix D: Distribution of F.
Appendix E: Using Statistics: Ideas for Research Projects.
Appendix F: An Introduction to SPSS for Windows.
Appendix G: Code Book for the General Social Survey.
Appendix H: Glossary of Symbols.
Answers to Odd-Numbered Computational Problems.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Online Instructor's Manual with Test Bank
This detailed manual provides sample syllabi, course guidelines, in-class exercises, and chapter objectives to assist instructors in teaching the course.
Helping you make your lectures more engaging while effectively reaching your visually oriented students, these handy Microsoft® PowerPoint® slides outline the chapters of the main text in a classroom-ready presentation. The PowerPoint slides are updated to reflect the content and organization of the new edition of the text.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to: import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.