Request for consultation
With a strong emphasis on hands-on learning, this highly practical text helps students develop the phlebotomy related knowledge and skills they need to become confident, competent health care professionals. The text provides detailed content reflective of the latest practice standards and competencies of the phlebotomy profession in a way that connects it to actual practice. Step-by-step guidelines for more than 20 collection procedures are provided along with real-life scenarios and prompts that emphasize the phlebotomist's legal and ethical role in decisions related to patient care. Full color photographs highlight important steps in each procedure along with proper equipment, while illustrations depict the components of anatomy critical to proper phlebotomy technique. The text continues to present complex material in an engaging, concise, and reader-friendly way. THE COMPLETE TEXTBOOK OF PHLEBOTOMY remains the perfect choice to prepare students for success as a multi-skilled health care professional.
- To help students make the transition from classroom learning to careers as phlebotomy professionals, each chapter now features practical "Helpful Hints" that tie key concepts to actual practice.
- The Fourth Edition includes numerous updates to ensure content is consistent with the latest Clinical Laboratory Standards Institute (CLSI) guidelines and best practice standards.
- A chapter on "Legal and Ethical Issues" explores some of the challenging issues students are likely to face in the workplace, preparing them to make sound choices and respond appropriately in a variety of situations.
- New step-by-step procedures include: Donning a Mask, Gown, and Gloves; Hand Vein Venipuncture by Butterfly Collection System using a Syringe; Performing a Radial Arterial Blood Gas; Blood Culture Collection by Butterfly Tuberculin Skin Test; Intradermal Injection of Purified Protein Derivative (PPD); and Collecting a Sputum Sample.
- Content updates throughout the text provide coverage of cutting-edge technology and current practice standards, including infrared imaging of vein locations, expanded steps for proper patient identification, new guidelines for obtaining cooperation from pediatric patients, and using handheld devices to obtain lab orders,.
- Includes new testing and collection information related to endocrine and reproductive disorders, heart disease, and urine glucose as well as expanded content related to sample prepation and handling.
- The text's visually appealing design includes more than 200 full-color photographs, illustrations, and identification charts, making it easier for students to engage with the material and hone critical skills.
- A variety of features to support learning are included throughout the text, including text boxes that highlight important points, step-by-step procedures and guidelines to reinforce skill development, competency checklists to identify key responsibilities, and review questions to help students assess their understanding of content.
- Each chapter features a list of learning objectives and relevant National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences (NAACLS) competencies to help guide student learning and prepare them for professional practice.
- Throughout the book laboratory tests are explained in order to give students a better understanding of why samples are collected. This knowledge of laboratory tests gives the phlebotomist a better understanding of how variation in sample collection techniques will affect the test results.
- The relationship between sample procurement and the laboratory role in patient care is emphasized, highlighting the importance of the phlebotomist's role in helping the laboratory guide health care providers in decisions related to patient care.
1. Introduction to Phlebotomy.
2. Safety in Phlebotomy.
3. Basic Human Anatomy and Physiology.
4. Anatomy and Physiology of the Circulatory System.
5. Phlebotomy Equipment.
6. Phlebotomy Technique.
7. The Challenge of Phlebotomy.
8. Caring for the Pediatric Patient.
9. Sample Considerations and Special Procedures.
10. Sample Preparation and Handling.
11. Customer Service.
12. Legal and ethical issues.
Appendix A NAACLS Phlebotomist Competencies.
Appendix B Phlebotomy Competency Assessments.
Appendix C Frequently Ordered Laboratory Tests.
Appendix D Blood Volume and Maximum Draw.
Appendix E Answers to Review Questions.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Companion Website
Everything you need for your course in one place! This collection of product-specific lecture and class tools is available online via the instructor resource center at www.cengage.com/login. You'll be able to access and download materials such as PowerPoint presentations, instructor’s manual, Study Guides, and more.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to import, edit, and manipulate content from the text’s test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.