Request for consultation
- This edition will include new musical selections, from the Common Era through the 20th century.
- A new e-Workbook in PDF format provides more than 200 pages of exercises to complement TECHNIQUES AND MATERIALS OF MUSIC, 7th Edition. Included are preliminary exercises, melodies for harmonization, figured and unfigured basses, and compositional exercises that explore a wide variety of textures and styles. This comprehensive collection of graded exercises covers the full range of tonal harmony and post-tonal techniques introduced in the textbook.
- Simple two-and three-note basses and simple figured basses have now been added to Units 3 through 8 in Part II.
- Part V includes summaries of several important topics such as doubling, voice leading, chord-choice criteria, textures, motive and sequence, contrapuntal techniques, and analytical procedures, to name a few.
- Contains 20th century composition techniques in Part IV.
- TECHNIQUES AND MATERIALS OF MUSIC gives instructors abundant content and musical examples organized in an outline format with a minimal text, allowing instructors flexibility in choosing which materials, concepts, and techniques to emphasize.
- Every effort has been made to ensure that all exercises are as musical as possible and that the cumulative level of these exercises reflects, and is relevant to, the level of the students' development.
1. The Great Staff and Piano Keyboard. 2. Accidentals. 3. Intervals. 4. Major and Minor Scales. 5. Key Signatures. 6. Triads. 7. Meter and Rhythm.
Part II: DIATONIC MATERIALS.
1. Triads in Root Position. 2. The Tonic Triad in Root Position. 3. Connection of Tonic and Dominant Triads in Root Position. 4. The Dominant Seventh Chord in Root Position. 5. Connection of Tonic and Subdominant Triads in Root Position. 6. Connection of Subdominant and Dominant Triads in Root Position. 7. Cadences Employing the Tonic, Subdominant, and Dominant Triads in Root Position. 8. The Cadential Tonic Six-Four Chord. 9. Tonic, Subdominant, and Dominant Triads in First Inversion. 10. The Supertonic Triad. 11. Inversions of the Dominant Seventh Chord. 12. Linear (Embellishing) Six-Four and Other Chords. 13. Submediant and Mediant Triads in Root Position and First Inversion. 14. The Leading Tone Triad. 15. Variant Qualities of Triads. 16. The Sequence. 17. The Supertonic Seventh Chord. 18. The Leading Tone Seventh Chord. 19. Other Diatonic Seventh Chords.
Part III: CHROMATIC MATERIALS.
1. Secondary (Applied, Borrowed) Dominants. 2. Modulation. 3. Linear (Embellishing) Diminished Seventh Chords. 4. The Neapolitan Triad. 5. Augmented Sixth Chords. 6. Modulation by Other Means. 7. Ninth Chords.
Part IV: TWENTIETH-CENTURY MATERIALS.
1. Twentieth-Century Techniques: General Comments. 2. Further Concepts for Analysis. 3. Rhythmic and Metric Devices. 4. Tertian Harmony. 5. The Diatonic (Church) Modes. 6. Pandiatonicism. 7. Exotic (Artificial, Synthetic) Scales. 8. Quartal and Secondal Harmony. 9. Polyharmony and Polytonality. 10. Free Atonality. 11. Twelve-Tone Serialism. 12. Additional Contemporary Procedures.
Part V: REFERENCE MATERIALS.
1. Musical Calligraphy. 2. The Harmonic Series. 3. Nonharmonic (Nonchord) Tones. 4. Relative and Linear Motion. 5. Guidelines for Voice Leading in Strict Four-Part Writing. 6. Guidelines for Doubling in Strict Four-Part Writing. 7. Checklist for Part Writing. 8. Chord Functions in Tonal Music. 9. Figured-Bass Symbols. 10. Procedure for Harmonizing a Figured Bass. 11. Procedure for Harmonizing a Melody. 12. Models for Expansion and Elaboration. 13. Cadence and Phrase Structure. 14. Typical Phrase Variants. 15. The Motive. 16. The Sequence. 17. Textures. 18. An Introduction to Tonal Melody. 19. An Introduction to Tonal Counterpoint. 20. Form. 21. Checklist for Analysis. 22. Composition Checklist. 23.Instrumental Ranges and Transpositions.
"Benjamin, Horvit, and Nelson have succeeded in creating a concise and easy-to-use text that any music student will find very useful."
"I think a strength of the book is the proportion of text to examples; in other words, there is less prose and more musical examples."
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Premium Website Instant Access
Premium Website Instant Access