Request for consultation
TECHNICAL MATHEMATICS provides a thorough review of pre calculus topics ranging from algebra and geometry to trigonometry and analytic geometry, with a strong emphasis on their applications in specific occupations. Students preparing for technical, engineering technology or scientific careers will benefit from the text's breadth of coverage and practical focus, as well as integrated calculator and spreadsheet examples that teach them to solve problems the way professionals do on the job. Written in an easy-to-understand manner, this comprehensive text complements core content with numerous application-oriented exercises and examples to help students apply their knowledge of mathematics and technology to situations they may encounter in their future work. The Fourth Edition of this proven text includes abundant new material, including a new chapter on computer number systems, integrated coverage of spreadsheets, and new and updated examples and exercises throughout the text. In addition, the text's companion CourseMate and Instructors Web site now feature even more teaching and learning resources for faculty and students, including a powerful new online homework solution as well as 12 bonus chapters of calculus material.
- The Fourth Edition includes a new chapter on computer number systems, enhancing the text's strong emphasis on practical, career-related applications of mathematics with material highly relevant to tomorrow's technical professionals.
- The text now features integrated information on how to use spreadsheets as a valuable tool for graphing and solving problems, exposing students to important concepts and practices they are likely to encounter in their careers.
- Calculator examples throughout the text have been updated for use with the TI-84, making it easy for students to follow along step-by-step and apply the techniques on their own using current technology.
- Each chapter now features a list of learning objectives, allowing instructors and students alike to pinpoint the most important ideas, assess learning more effectively, and identify areas for further reinforcement.
- Numerous examples and exercises throughout the text have been added or updated to keep the material interesting and relevant for today's students as they prepare for success in the workplace.
- More than 850 examples and 6,000 exercises—many of them application-oriented—provide opportunities for students to solve problems, practice what they have learned, and apply mathematics to situations they can expect to encounter on the job.
- The CourseMate companion Web site contains a wealth of learning tools, including graded homework and student quizzes, selected solutions for students, PowerPoint tutorials, directions for using spreadsheets and different models of calculators, an interactive e-book, skill-building games and puzzles, 12 bonus calculus chapters, and more.
- Initial material on right triangle trigonometry, statistics, the area and volume of irregular shapes, and informal calculus introduces key concepts early to support effective integration in subsequent chapters, as well as exploring complex concepts in an unintimidating way before immersing students in depth.
- The accompanying Instructor Resources CD includes a complete solutions manual with fully worked solutions to every text problem, a computerized test bank, and an image library with helpful illustrations for classroom use, saving you valuable prep time.
1. The Real Number System.
2. Algebraic Concepts and Operations of Equations.
4. Functions and Graphs.
5. An Introduction to Trigonometry and Variation.
6. Systems of Linear Equations and Determinants.
7. Factoring and Algebraic Fractions.
8. Vectors and Trigonometric Functions
9. Fractional and Quadratic Equations.
10. Graphs of Trigonometric Functions
11. Exponents and Radicals.
12. Exponential and Logarithmic Functions.
13. Statistics and Empirical Methods.
14. Complex Numbers.
15. An Introduction to Plane Analytic Geometry.
16. Computer Number Systems.
17. Higher Degree Equations.
18. Systems of Equations and Inequalities.
20. Sequences, Series, and the Binomial Formula.
21. Trigonometric Formulas, Identities, and Equations.
22. An Introduction to Calculus.
Appendix A: The Metric System.
Appendix B: Table of Integrals
Answers to Odd-Numbered Exercises
Index of Applications.
The following chapters are available in CourseMate:
23. The Derivative
24. Applications of Derivatives
26. Applications of Integration
27. Derivatives of Transcendental Functions
28. Techniques of Integration
29. Parametric Equations, Vectors, and Polar Coordinates
30. Partial Derivatives and Multiple Integrals
31. Infinite Series
32. First-Order Differential Equations
33. Higher-Order Differential Equations
34. Numerical Methods and LaPlace Transforms.
The Instructor Resources commonly includes PowerPoint presentations for each core textbook chapter, computerized test bank, Instructor's Manual, and other text-specific resources.
CourseMate Instant Access
The more you study, the better the results. Make the most of your study time by accessing everything you need to succeed in one place. Technical Math CourseMate includes: An interactive eBook with highlighting, note taking, an interactive glossary and 12 bonus calculus chapters, plus Interactive learning tools, including: Quizzes, Flashcards, and more!
CourseMate Instant Access
Cengage Learning's CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools that support the printed textbook. Maximize your course success with the integrated eBook and chapter-specific learning tools that include flashcards, quizzes, videos, and more in your CourseMate. Key Features: Interactive eBook, Engagement Tracker, Learning Objectives, Tutorial Quizzes, Glossary and Flashcards, and Web Links and References.
WebTutor™ Plus on Blackboard® Instant Access Code
Succeed in your mathematics course with this anytime, anywhere customized learning solution that reinforces and clarifies complex concepts, provides online quizzes with instant feedback and other online learning tools, and keeps you connected to your textbook, instructor, and classmates.