Request for consultation
Created by the continuous feedback of a "student-tested, faculty-approved" process, RELG: WORLD, Second Edition, delivers a visually appealing and succinct print component as well as tear-out review and prep cards for students and instructors. It also provides a consistent online offering with CourseMate, including an eBook and a set of interactive digital tools, all at a value-based price and proven to increase retention and outcomes. The eBook includes annotated links to videos, audio, Google Earth™ explorations, and primary sources. Instructors are always looking for ways to make religions practiced in distant places and times "come alive" for their students. This book's framing of the study of different religions as encounters between the student and believers who are in many ways like the students resonates with students' needs. In both content and design, RELG: WORLD aims to address course challenges of lower cost, brevity, and relevance to students. Instructors wishing to complement their course with additional primary sources can create a custom edition incorporating selections from the more than 200 readings in Van Voorst's best-selling ANTHOLOGY OF WORLD SCRIPTURES.
- Chapters on specific faiths now conclude with a full section on the globalization of these religions, with special attention to their presence in North America.
- This edition features the MindTap® Reader ebook, designed from the ground up for an optimum Internet reading experience.
- With the growth in eReader usage among students, this edition features a new numbering system for major headings that is easier for you to use than page numbers when creating assignments.
- Updates and enhancements make the book even more appealing, relevant, and helpful to students. These include seventeen new links in BBC videos not available on the Internet; four new "A Closer Look" boxes, which highlight dress, customs, and origins of terms specific to each religion; five new linked primary sources; over 100 new photos to complement the narrative; and 50% more boldfaced glossary terms that facilitate study and review.
- Chapter in Review Cards at the back of the Student Edition provide students a portable study tool containing all of the pertinent information for class preparation.
- Instructor Prep Cards at the back of the Instructor's Edition make preparation simple with detachable cards for each chapter. They offer a quick map of chapter content, a list of corresponding PowerPoint® and video resources, additional examples, and suggested assignments and discussion questions to help you organize chapter content efficiently.
- A full suite of unique learning tools that appeal to different learning styles is available to students with the purchase of a new book. Quizzes, audio, video, flashcards, and more are only a click away.
- RELG: WORLD provides all the content and resources you expect with a supplements package that is second to none, including images, video, audio, and maps to help you with your presentations and to increase student engagement with course material. Having a unified website with an integrated eBook makes it possible for you to build your presentations easily from one source--even, perhaps, from the digital version of the book, which includes numerous annotated links to videos, audio, Google Earth explorations, and primary sources.
- Every 4LTR Press solution provides a core text and a wealth of comprehensive multimedia teaching and learning assets based on input from student focus groups and surveys, and from interviews with over 500 faculty and students.
- Shorter, comprehensive chapters in a modern design present content in a more engaging and accessible format without minimizing coverage for your course.
- Chapter Learning Outcomes are listed at the beginning of each chapter, keyed to each major heading, and used to organize the end-of-book Chapter in Review cards.
- A What Do You Think? miniquiz at the beginning of each chapter is designed to engage students with surprising information that dispels common misconceptions.
- In-text study and learning aids include key terms boldfaced and defined in the text margins; pullout quotes reinforcing the magazine style; striking photos with captions or pull quotes; "A Closer Look" boxes on symbols, dress, customs, and origins of terms specific to each religion; and vignettes of encounters with adherents of each religion.
2. Encountering Indigenous Religions: Ways to Tribal Life.
3. Encountering Hinduism: Many Paths to Liberation.
4. Encountering Jainism: The Austere Way to Liberation.
5. Encountering Buddhism: The Middle Path to Liberation.
6. Encountering Sikhism: The Way of God's Name.
7. Encountering Daoism and Confucianism: Two Views of the Eternal Way.
8. Encountering Shinto: The Way of the Kami.
9. Encountering Zoroastrianism: The Way of the One Wise Lord.
10. Encountering Judaism: The Way of God's People.
11. Encountering Christianity: The Way of Jesus Christ.
12. Encountering Islam: The Straight Path of the One God.
13. Encountering New Religious Movements: Modern Ways to Alternative
"The idea of bringing so many types of resources together is brilliant. . . . as this all-in-one format becomes more popular in textbook publishing, both instructors and students should become familiar and comfortable with all the different features and options. A mobile device application would greatly enhance the usability and popularity of the product."
"The text is a dream come true. It is clear, precise, and well planned with more resources than you could ever wish. More texts need to be as complete as this one."
"I. . . found it to be one of the best texts I have ever used. I will use it again."
"Van Voorst and the production team have produced a very appealing text. The visuals are stunning, the writing is engaging, and the abilities and interests of the student audience are always kept in mind. By foregrounding the learning objectives and providing the resources for students to take charge of their own learning and self-assessment, instructors will have more time to make the classroom experience engaging and centered around discussion rather than presentation of factual material."
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor Resource Center
Everything you need for your course in one place! This collection of book specific lecture and class tools is available online via www.cengage.com/login. Access and download PowerPoint presentations, images, instructor’s manul and more.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access