Request for consultation
PRINCIPLES OF PHARMACOLOGY FOR MEDICAL ASSISTING, 5E is a comprehensive and easy-to-use text written specifically for medical assistants by a medical assisting instructor. Beginning with a mathematics review section, it proceeds to discuss dosage calculations, introduce pharmacology concepts and drugs, and conclude with medications related to each body system. Math concepts are presented in a clear and concise manner with step-by-step explanations and many examples, followed by practice problems for immediate reinforcement. With competency-based objectives, numerous concepts applications, and a color photo drug reference guide, it's clear why PRINCIPLES OF PHARMACOLOGY FOR MEDICAL ASSISTING has been a trusted solution for over 20 years.
- All drugs verified with Drugs@FDA and includes the latest caution, safety, and patient teaching information.
- A color photo quick reference drug guide provides rapid identification of the 101 most commonly prescribed drugs. Actual-sized tablets and capsules, with their strength, are organized alphabetically by generic names and include appropriate trade name and manufacturer.
- Automatically graded basic math pretest and math review quizzes are included in the StudyWARE™ software to gauge student proficiency prior to and throughout the course.
- Interactive syringe-pull activities, animations, and tutorials on the StudyWARE™ software to illustrate difficult concepts and accommodate various student learning styles.
- New information on electronic medical records, e-prescriptions, and electronic charting.
- Includes information on the Seven Rights of Medication Administration.
- New material on prescription drug abuse and addiction, cancer treatment, H1N1 influenza,fast-dissolving drug delivery systems (FDDS), and much more.
- Clear and concise presentation of math concepts with many solved examples included; practice problems follow each step-by-step explanation for immediate reinforcement.
- Key vocabulary terms are identified and defined, with phonetic pronunciation included.
- Numerous features included to apply concepts including spot checks, critical thinking, and self-assessment tests.
- A proven resource for over 20 years, geared specifically for medical assisting programs and written by an experienced medical assisting instructor.
- Competency-based objectives at the start of each unit.
Unit 1. Numerals and Fractions.
Unit 2. Decimal Fractions.
Unit 3. Ratio and Proportion.
Unit 4. The Metric System.
Unit 5. Calculating Adult Dosages: Oral and Parenteral Forms.
Unit 6. Calculating Children's Dosages.
SECTION II: INTRODUCTION TO PHARMACOLOGY.
Unit 7. Drug Sources, Schedules, and Dosages.
Unit 8. Forms of Drugs and How They Act.
Unit 9. The Medication Order.
Unit 10. Medication Administration Essentials.
Unit 11. Administration of Nonparenteral Medications.
Unit 12. Parenteral Equipment and Supplies.
Unit 13. Administration of Parenteral Medications.
Unit 14. Allergy: An Overview.
SECTION III: MEDICATIONS, SUPPLEMENTS, AND DRUG ABUSE.
Unit 15. Antibiotic Agents.
Unit 16. Antifungal, Antiviral, and Immunizing Agents.
Unit 17. Antineoplastic Agents.
Unit 18. Vitamins and Minerals.
Unit 19. Psychotropic Agents.
Unit 20. Substance Abuse.
SECTION IV: EFFECTS OF MEDICATIONS ON BODY SYSTEMs.
Unit 21. Medications Used for Musculoskeletal System Disorders.
Unit 22. Medications Used for Gastrointestinal System Disorders.
Unit 23. Medications Used for Cardiovascular System Disorders.
Unit 24. Medications That Affect the Respiratory System.
Unit 25. Diuretics and Medications Used for Urinary System Disorders.
Unit 26. Medications Used in Treatment of Endocrine Disorders.
Unit 27. Medications That Affect the Nervous System.
Unit 28. Medications That Affect the Reproductive System.
Appendix A: Color Photo Quick Reference Drug Guide.
Appendix B: Helpful Resources.
Appendix C: Performance Checklists.
Instructor's Companion Web Site
Everything you need for your course in one place! This collection of lecture and class tools designed to coordinate with PRINCIPLES OF PHARMACOLOGY FOR MEDICAL ASSISTING, 6E is available online via the instructor resource center at www.cengage.com/login. You'll be able to access and download materials such as PowerPoint® presentations, images, an instructor’s manual with answers to dosage calculations, and more.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions. Create multiple test versions in an instant, or deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you are.