Request for consultation
Long considered the standard for honors and high-level mainstream general chemistry courses, PRINCIPLES OF MODERN CHEMISTRY, 7e continues to set the standard as the most modern, rigorous, and chemically and mathematically accurate text on the market. Thoroughly revised throughout to strengthen its sound "atoms first" approach, this authoritative text now features new and updated content, and more mathematically accurate and artistic atomic and molecular orbital art. In addition, the text is now more student friendly without compromising its rigor. End-of-chapter study aids now focus on only the most important key objectives, equations and concepts, making it easier for students to locate chapter content, while new applications to a wide range of disciplines, such as biology, chemical engineering, biochemistry, and medicine deepen students' understanding of the relevance of chemistry beyond the classroom.
- An UPDATED AND REVISED "ATOMS FIRST" APPROACH that enables the development of the subject from a unified and consistent molecular perspective. New features include: a rewritten Chapter 7 (Bonding in Organic Molecules), with new images that create a look-and-feel similar to that of Organic chemistry textbooks; and a completely revised suite of chapters (17-20) that introduces molecular electrochemistry at the freshman level for the first time, and treats kinetics, nuclear chemistry and molecular spectroscopy and photochemistry at the same level and depth, and from the same point of view, as the rest of the book.
- NEW "CONNECTIONS TO…" SECTIONS emphasize applications of chemistry to a wide range of disciplines such as biology, chemical engineering, biochemistry, and medicine.
- NEW REAL-WORLD APPLICATIONS demonstrate how chemistry is used in the everyday world, in settings from business and industry to hospitals and laboratories.
- "A DEEPER LOOK…" SECTIONS now appear at the end of each chapter to give students an in-depth look at the physical origins of observed chemical behavior without interrupting the flow of each chapter.
- RESTRUCTURED END-OF-CHAPTER STUDY AIDS, which now only include the most important key objectives, equations, and concepts, make it easier for students to locate content within the chapter
- NEW FULLY PARAMETERIZED END-OF-CHAPTER QUESTIONS IN OWL, written specifically for this text, encourage students to practice multiple questions of the same type with different chemicals, wording, and numbers to ensure their mastery of the underlying chemical concepts.
- A FOCUS ON PROBLEM SOLVING. Problems are grouped into three categories: 1) Paired problems in the first set are grouped by section, with answers to the odd-numbered paired problems collected in Appendix G so students can check their answer to the first problem in a pair before undertaking the second parallel problem. 2) Additional Problems (unpaired) provide further applications of the principles developed in the chapter. 3) Cumulative Problems integrate material from the chapter with topics presented earlier in the book. More challenging problems are integrated throughout the problem sets and are indicated with asterisks.
- PEDAGOGICALLY IMPORTANT APPENDICES. Appendix A discusses experimental error and scientific notation; Appendix B introduces the SI system of units used throughout the book, describes the methods used for converting units, and provides a brief review of some fundamental principles in physics. Appendix C provides a review of mathematics for general chemistry. Appendices D, E, and F are compilations of thermodynamic, electrochemical, and physical data, respectively.
- OWL INTEGRATION. Improve student learning outcomes with OWL, the #1 online homework and learning system for chemistry. Developed by chemistry instructors for teaching chemistry, OWL includes course management tools that make homework management a breeze, as well as advanced reporting and grade book features that save time in grading homework and tracking student progress. OWL enables you to address students' different learning styles through tutorials, simulations, visualization exercises, and algorithmically-generated homework questions with answer-specific feedback. With OWL's mastery learning approach, students work at their own pace until they understand each concept/skill. OWL includes an eBook, enhanced with multimedia learning tools.
- AN "ATOMS FIRST" APPROACH places coverage of structure and bonding early in the text (Chapter 4-6), taking students right into the core topics of the course and helping them build a strong conceptual understanding of chemistry.
- A UNIQUE APPROACH TO LEARNING CHEMICAL PRINCIPLES emphasizes the scientific process from observation to application, placing general chemistry into perspective for serious-minded science and engineering students.
- MATHEMATICALLY ACCURATE MOLECULAR ORBITAL ART helps students visualize how orbital equations translate into the shapes of the orbitals.
1. The Atom in Modern Chemistry.
2. Chemical Formulas, Chemical Equations, and Reaction Yields.
UNIT 2: CHEMICAL BONDING AND MOLECULAR STRUCTURE.
3. Chemical Bonding: The Classical Description.
4. Introduction to Quantum Mechanics.
5. Quantum Mechanics and Atomic Structure.
6. Quantum Mechanics and Molecular Structure.
7. Bonding in Organic Molecules.
8. Bonding in Transition Metal Compounds and Coordination Complexes.
UNIT 3: KINETIC MOLECULAR DESCRIPTION OF THE STATES OF MATTER.
9. The Gaseous State.
10. Solids, Liquids, and Phase Transitions.
UNIT 4: EQUILIBRIUM IN CHEMICAL REACTIONS.
12. Thermodynamic Processes and Thermochemistry.
13. Spontaneous Processes and Thermodynamic Equilibrium.
14. Chemical Equilibrium.
15. Acid–Base Equilibria.
16. Solubility and Precipitation Equilibria.
UNIT 5: RATES OF CHEMICAL AND PHYSICAL PROCESSES.
18. Chemical Kinetics.
19. Nuclear Chemistry.
20. Molecular Spectroscopy and Photochemistry.
UNIT 6: MATERIALS.
21. Structure and Bonding in Solids.
22. Inorganic Materials.
23. Polymeric Materials and Soft Condensed Matter.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor Resource Site: Everything you need for your course in one place! This collection of book-specific lecture and class tools is available online via www.cengage.com/login. Access and download PowerPoint presentations, images, instructor's manual, videos, and more.
Student Solutions Manual
Students can prepare for exams and succeed in your chemistry course with this comprehensive solutions manual! Featuring worked-out solutions to every odd-numbered problem in PRINCIPLES OF MODERN CHEMISTRY, 8th Edition, this manual shows students how to approach and solve problems using the same step-by-step explanations found in the textbook examples.
Student Solutions Manual
Prepare for exams and succeed in your chemistry course with this comprehensive solutions manual! Featuring worked-out solutions to every odd-numbered problem in PRINCIPLES OF MODERN CHEMISTRY, 8th Edition, this manual shows you how to approach and solve problems using the same step-by-step explanations found in your textbook examples.