Request for consultation
Widely used throughout the construction trade, the 9th Edition of PRACTICAL PROBLEMS IN MATHEMATICS FOR CARPENTERS delivers the math skills every carpenter needs to be successful. Divided into short units, this combination book/workbook first explains essential math principles in straightforward, concise language, and then reinforces each with samples of problems common in the building and construction trade. Step-by-step solutions to the problems, as well as detailed illustrations, help readers understand the math concepts, visualize their application in everyday carpentry work, and perform the functions themselves.
- UPDATED GREEN CONSTRUCTION COVERAGE: Readers get the latest information on green construction with added problems related specifically to this booming area of carpentry and building construction.
- HELPFUL HOMEWORK SUPPORT: Learners can easily practice problems, highlight content, take notes, and quiz themselves with the interactive tools provided in the new CourseMate learning resource for the 9th Edition of PRACTICAL PROBLEMS IN MATHEMATICS FOR CARPENTERS.
- CARPENTRY PROBLEMS: Rather than hypothetical and abstract concepts, the text centers on real-world carpentry problems, including modern construction materials and practices.
- DETAILED CALCULATOR COVERAGE: Step-by-step instruction and illustrations show how to properly use a 4-function calculator to solve math problems.
- COMMON-SENSE DELIVERY OF THE FACTS: Each important concept starts with basic arithmetic operations and progresses to the compound problems applied in light-frame construction.
- VALUABLE MATERIAL: Easy-to-understand and thorough, the mathematical principles in PRACTICAL PROBLEMS IN MATHEMATICS FOR CARPENTERS, 9th Edition are those that most carpenters encounter on the job.
Section I: WHOLE NUMBERS.
1. Addition to Whole Numbers.
2. Subtraction of Whole Numbers.
3. Multiplication of Whole Numbers.
4. Division of Whole Numbers.
5. Combined Operations with Whole Numbers.
Section II: COMMON FRACTIONS.
6. Addition of Common Fractions.
7. Subtraction of Common Fractions.
8. Multiplication of Common Fractions.
9. Division of Common Fractions.
10. Combined Operations with Common Fractions.
Section III: DECIMAL FRACTIONS.
11. Addition of Decimal Fractions.
12. Subtraction of Decimal Fractions.
13. Multiplication of Decimal Fractions.
14. Division of Decimal Fractions.
15. Expressing Common Fractions and Mixed Numbers as Decimals.
Section IV: PERCENT AND PERCENTAGE.
16. Simple Percent and Percentage.
Section V: MEASUREMENT: DIRECT AND COMPUTED.
19. Linear Measure.
20. Working with Feet and Inches.
21. Square Measure.
22. Surface measurement: Triangles.
23. The Framing Square.
24. Surface Measurement: Irregular Figures.
25. Surface Measurement: Circles
26. Volume Measurement: Cubes and Rectangular Solids.
27. Board Measure.
28. Volume Measurement.
29. Weight Measure.
Section VI: POWERS AND ROOTS.
30. Applications of Exponents in Formulas.
31. Using Square Root to Find Sides of Right Triangles.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Companion Web Site
Find everything you need for your course in one place. This collection of product-specific lecture and class tools is available online via the instructor resource center at www.cengage.com/login. You'll be able to access and download materials such as PowerPoint® presentations, images, solutions manual, and test banks.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero®, is a flexible, online system that allows you to import, edit, and manipulate content from the text’s test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions. Create multiple test versions in an instant and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.