Request for consultation
Prepare students for career success with first-hand experience in calculating payroll, completing payroll taxes, and preparing payroll records and reports. The 2017 edition of Bieg/Toland’s market-leading PAYROLL ACCOUNTING addresses the latest laws and developments in the field of payroll accounting. This 2017 edition covers timely topics on the Fundamental Payroll Certification (FPC) given by the American Payroll Association. Students also focus on applications rather than theory with hands-on practice to reinforce concepts. Numerous examples and real business applications demonstrate relevance, while an extensive payroll project lets students practice all they’ve learned, either manually or using Cengage Learning’s General Ledger Software (CLGL) located in the CengageNOW™v2 course management and online homework tool. CengageNOW™v2 course management also includes robust instructor resources to help you easily present today’s payroll laws and practices to prepare students for success.
- EVEN MORE “SHOW ME HOW” DEMONSTRATION VIDEOS CLARIFY KEY LEARNING OBJECTIVES. These explanatory videos are ideal for on-line classes. Videos are available for key problems in the book through CengageNOW™v2 and provide a personal tutorial for students in areas where they are most likely to struggle. Topic from the “Show Me How” videos are clearly identified to help students with the more challenging payroll topics.
- UP-TO-DATE COVERAGE ADDRESSES THE LATEST PAYROLL INFORMATION. Up-to-the-minute tax law changes throughout this annual revision ensure that you and your students are working with the latest payroll information. Discover a complete list of late-breaking changes within the “As We Go to Press” page inside this edition and find the latest updated changes on the text’s companion website at www.cengage.com/highered.
- CENGAGENOWv2 WITH CENGAGE LEARNING’S GENERAL LEDGER SOFTWARE (CLGL) OFFERS COURSE MANAGEMENT AND HAND-ON STUDENT PRACTICE. This powerful combination of resources seamlessly integrates end-of chapter assignments and the book’s payroll project into a single sign-on experience for your students. With its engaging learning and assessment tools, CengageNOW™v2 supports the entire student workflow, from motivation to mastery. For you, the instructor, CengageNOW™v2 provides the ability to tailor learning experiences to improve outcomes.
- STREAMLINED DESIGN IMPROVES READABILITY. This edition’s clear and inviting presentation of information immediately directs students to key points within each chapter.
- MICROSOFT® EXCEL® SPREADSHEET TEMPLATES PROVIDE ADDITIONAL PRACTICE IN SOLVING PROBLEMS. Students can use this leading software tool to complete Continuing Payroll Problems, the Comprehensive Payroll Project, and other end-of-chapter problems that are clearly identified with an icon in the book. Appendix B, written by the book’s authors, provides detailed instructions on how to prepare Excel® spreadsheets most effectively.
- CengageNOW™v2 PROVIDES A POWERFUL COURSE MANAGEMENT AND ONLINE HOMEWORK TOOL. End-of-chapter matching quizzes, conceptually focused questions for review, problem sets A and B, and Continuing Problems from the book are integrated into CengageNOW™v2. Blueprint Problems teach students fundamental concepts, while “Show Me How” videos explain step by step instructions modeled on complex payroll end-of-chapter problems. A variety of study tools help students learn more efficiently.
- GENERAL LEDGER (CLGL) assignments in CengageNowv2 PROVIDE HANDS-ON PRACTICE IN AUTOMATED PAYROLL ACCOUNTING. CLGL is very similar to leading accounting software used in business today. The significant difference between this educational package and commercial accounting software is the simplicity of operation.
- THE WASHINGTON UPDATE ADVISES STUDENTS OF TAX CODE AND TAX LAWS USED IN THE CURRENT EDITION. Because tax code, tables and laws are frequently changed by Congress after a book has been printed, this resource shows students how they can find out the most current tax code, tables, and laws -- both now and in future practice.
- “OVER THE LINE” ACTUAL BUSINESS ETHICS CASES PROVIDE SITUATIONS FOR STUDENTS TO DISCUSS AND ANALYZE. These actual, intriguing Ethics Cases illustrate situations where companies either intentionally or unintentionally crossed the boundaries of fairness in their interpretation of payroll laws.
2. Computing Wages and Salaries.
3. Social Security Taxes.
4. Income Tax Withholding.
5. Unemployment Compensation Taxes.
6. Analyzing and Journalizing Payroll.
7. Payroll Project.
Appendix A: Payroll Accounting Online.
Tax Table A: Tables for Percentage Method Of Withholding.
Tax Table B: Wage-Bracket Income Tax Withholding.
Online Appendix. Appendix B: Excel Template Instructions For The Glo-Brite Payroll Project (Using Excel 2010).
Online Appendix. Appendix C: Social Security Benefits.
Online Appendix: Appendix D. Unemployment Benefits.
Online-Only Document: Computerized Payroll Accounting User Guide.
Online-Only Document: Controlling Costs: Payroll, Benefits, and Taxes.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor’s Companion Website
Find everything you need in one place. The password-protected section of the Instructor Website contains the Solutions Manual, Test Bank, Achievement Tests and Keys, Excel® Template Solutions, solutions to the Net Activities, and PowerPoint® slides.
Instructor’s Solutions Manual with Test Bank, Achievement Tests, and Solutions Key
This robust printed Solutions Manual contains the Learning Objectives, Chapter Outlines, and solutions for all of the end-of-chapter exercises and problems, including the Continuing Payroll Problems, Case Problems, and Payroll Project. Test Bank questions and solutions provide choices for true/false, multiple-choice questions, and problems for examinations. Achievements Tests and keys are provided for additional testing and can also be reproduced.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to import, edit, and manipulate content from the text’s test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions. Create multiple test versions in an instant and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.