Request for consultation
ORGANIZATIONAL COMMUNICATION: APPROACHES AND PROCESSES presents organizational communication from both a communication and managerial perspective. Professor Miller's clear writing style and consistent use of examples and case studies result in a text that undergraduate students will find easy to understand.
- Seven new “Spotlights on Scholarship” – Chapters 2, 4, 5, 7, 8, 9, and 14.
- Three new Case Studies – Chapters 8, 12, and 13.
- Totally New Chapter Five – “Constitutive and Discursive Approaches” This new chapter will consider the move in organizational communication scholarship toward emphasis on discourse processes and on the ways organizations are constituted through communication.
- Restructured Chapter Four – “Systems and Cultural Approaches” This chapter will combine the old Chapters Four and Five into a single chapter that highlights the metaphors that dominated organizational communication during the last several decades of the 20th century.
- Restructured Chapter Six – “Critical and Feminist Approaches” This chapter will be revised to place more emphasis on feminist approaches to the study of organizational communication.
- Restructured Chapter Nine – “Knowledge and Decision Processes” This chapter will be revised to move beyond “decision making” to a consideration of knowledge management processes.
- Updating literature throughout with particular attention given to the quickly changing areas of Technology (Chapter 13) and Diversity (Chapter 12).
1. The Challenge of Organizational Communication.
2. Classical Approaches.
3. Human Relations and Human Resources Approaches.
4. Systems Approaches.
5. Cultural Approaches.
6. Critical Approaches.
7. Socialization Processes.
8. Decision-Making Processes.
9. Conflict Management Processes.
10. Organizational Change and Leadership Processes.
11. Processes of Emotion in the Workplace.
12. Organizational Diversity Processes.
14. The Changing Landscape of Organizations.
“I've used the Miller book in this course now for many years. I've done so because it is a skillful representation of where the field has been and where it is at. Kathy does an amazing job weaving in representative classic research from the field along with contemporary sources and new developments. Second, I think the book is highly readable. Kathy is an excellent writer and is able to convey complex theoretical ideas and research in language accessible to our undergraduate students.”
“I like several things about the book. First, it provides a pretty balanced approach between theory and practical issues. Each chapter typically includes theoretical/scholarly approaches to Org Comm, and also includes practical information, as examples or case studies. Second, the book is written in a very concise manner. Each chapter of the Miller book can be broken up into relatively short, but information heavy reading segments. So our busy students don’t have to read extra-long chapters to get much foundational information. Finally, the book effectively covers most of the critical Org Comm issues, both foundational issues and more contemporary issues.”
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Companion Web Site
The password-protected Instructor Companion Website includes Computerized Testing via Cognero®, ready-to-use PowerPoint® presentations (with text, images, and cued videos that can also be customized to suit your course needs), Join In for Turning Point Clicker questions, and an electronic version of the Instructor’s Manual. The Instructor's Resource manual includes suggested activities, supplementary case studies and discussion topics. In addition, each chapter includes a chapter outline; a list of key terms with definitions; suggestions for individual, group, and class activities; and true/false, multiple choice, fill-in-the-blank, and essay test items. The activities provide innovative ways to present relevant concepts in each chapter; they include group projects, out-of-class assignments, role plays, lecture ideas, and audio-visual suggestions.
CourseMate, 1 term (6 months) Instant Access
Cengage Learning’s Communication CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools that support the printed textbook. Interactive Video Activities, MindTap Reader, and Speech Builder Express 3.0 are included. Watch student comprehension soar as your class works with the printed textbook and the textbook-specific website. Communication CourseMate goes beyond the book to deliver what you need!
CourseMate, 1 term (6 months) Instant Access
The more you study, the better the results. Make the most of your study time by accessing everything you need to succeed in one place. Read your textbook and take notes in the MindTap Reader, review flashcards, watch videos, and take practice quizzes—online with CourseMate.