Request for consultation
Providing even more emphasis on inquiry-based learning, a new green experiment, and more than a dozen new discovery experiments, this Fifth Edition of Gilbert and Martin's proven EXPERIMENTAL ORGANIC CHEMISTRY contains procedures for both miniscale (also known as small scale) and microscale users. The manual first covers equipment, record keeping, and safety in the laboratory, then walks students step by step through the laboratory techniques they need to perform the book's experiments with confidence. Chapters show students how to use the book's techniques to synthesize compounds and analyze their properties, complete multi-step syntheses of organic compounds, and solve structures of unknown compounds. A bioorganic experiment in Chapter 24 reflects the increasing emphasis on bioorganic chemistry in the course and gives students an opportunity to accomplish a mechanistically interesting and synthetically important coupling of two a-amino acids to produce a dipeptide.
- This edition places even more emphasis on inquiry-based learning, with more than a dozen new discovery experiments.
- The fifth edition includes new and updated Historical Highlights on Polymorphs, Performance Enhancing Drugs, Acetylene, and Chiral Drugs.
- Offers a new green experiment on the Bromination of (E)-Stilbene.
- Includes video demonstrations of key techniques in the book, accompanied by quizzes, in CourseMate. CourseMate also provides access to pre-lab exercises, proton NMR spectra for analyzing chemical shifts, integration, and coupling constants, IR spectra for analyzing functional groups, MSDS (material safety data sheets) tables for checking the safe handling of the materials in each experiment, and derivative tables.
- Emphasizes safety through Safety Alerts and Wrapping It Up sections that alert students to possible hazards and proper disposal of spent chemicals.
- Includes fascinating Historical Highlights, brief essays that familiarize students with the lives of chemical pioneers who have advanced the field of chemistry.
- Includes accurately drawn art to show students how to set up an experiment with confidence.
- Includes margin drawings of equipment to remind students about the set up for such techniques as distillation and reflux.
- This book helps students understand laboratory techniques by beginning each experiment with a thorough discussion of the theory and procedures involved and laying out experimental procedures in a clear format.
2. Techniques and Apparatus.
3. Solids: Recrystallization and Melting Points.
4. Liquids: Distillation and Boiling Points.
8. Spectral Methods.
12. Dienes: The Diels-Alder Reaction.
13. Kinetic and Thermodynamic Control of a Reaction.
14. Nucleophilic Aliphatic Substitution: Preparation for Alkyl Halides.
15. Electrophilic Aromatic Substitution.
16. Oxidation of Alcohols and Carbonyl Compounds.
17. Reduction Reactions of Double Bonds: Alkenes, Carbonyl Compounds, and Imines.
18. Reactions of Carbonyl Compounds.
19. Organometallic Chemistry.
20. Carboxylic Acids and Their Derivatives.
21. Multistep Organic Synthesis.
24. Amino Acids and Peptides.
25. Identifying Organic Compounds.
26. The Literature of Organic Chemistry.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
PowerLecture with ExamView®
This digital presentation tool contains prepared lecture slides and a valuable library of resources such as art, photos, and tables from the text that faculty can use to create personalized lecture presentations. Also included is the complete Instructor's Resource Manual, sample chapters of student supplements, and ExamView digital test bank.
The Laboratory Manual, with the assistance of co-author T.K. Vinod at Western Illinois University, includes an experiment on green chemistry, pre-laboratory exercises, and safety instructions.
Study Guide with Solutions Manual
Revised with the assistance of author Christopher Hadad, Ohio State University, the Study Guide and Solutions Manual offers solutions to both in-text and end-of-chapter problems with an explanation of the answers. For each chapter, the guide provides a chapter summary, learning objectives, and a summary of synthetic methods and reaction mechanisms. Review problems on synthesis and 100 multiple-choice sample test questions offer students additional problem-solving practice.
Study Guide with Solutions Manual