Request for consultation
Cengage Learning in partnership with National Geographic Society brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools along with market leading text content for introductory oceanography courses. OCEANOGRAPHY provides a basic understanding of the scientific questions, complexities, and uncertainties involved in ocean use, as well as the role and importance of the ocean in nurturing and sustaining life on the planet. Bestselling author Tom Garrison emphasizes the interdisciplinary nature of marine science, stressing its links to biology, chemistry, geology, physics, meteorology, astronomy, ecology, history, and economics. Enable your students to purchase the right solution to meet their needs, whether it's a traditional printed text, all digital learning platform, or package that includes the best of both worlds. With the recently updated Oceanography 8th Edition and CourseMate's interactive teaching and learning tools, it's never been easier to help students understand the complexities involved in how we study and use the ocean.
- Using exclusive content from the National Geographic Society's world-renowned photo, graphics, and map collections, OCEANOGRAPHY provides students with the most dynamic and current introduction to oceanography on the market.
- Feature boxes called INSIGHTS FROM A NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC EXPLORER describe the inspiring work of National Geographic Explorers, such as ocean explorer Robert Ballard, marine ecologist Enric Sala, and oceanographer Sylvia Earle.
- The popular A STUDENT ASKS… feature at the end of every chapter is now enhanced with A National Geographic Explorer Answers.
- HOW DO WE KNOW? boxes detail how oceanographers know what they know about the ocean. These boxes focus on fascinating topics and improving the understanding of the process of the scientific method.
- THINKING BEYOND THE FIGURE are critical thinking questions for key figures.
- New end of chapter WHAT'S GOING ON HERE? questions encourage analysis while focusing on scientific methods and process.
- Each chapter summary includes a complete CHAPTER IN PERSPECTIVE, a useful tool that contains a narrative review and a brief look ahead (providing continuity between chapters). You'll also find answers to the CONCEPT CHECK questions interspersed throughout the chapter, as well as critical thinking questions and analytical questions with a mathematical emphasis to help students review the material and prepare for exams.
- OCEANOGRAPHY emphasizes applications, connections, and relationships to other fields, demonstrating the integration of sciences that exists in the study of oceanography and providing a balance of physical and biological oceanography.
- QUESTIONS FROM STUDENTS at the end of each chapter answer the most common questions that students have about each topic, making it easier for instructors to anticipate and address student needs and for students to absorb and master the material.
- OCEANOGRAPHY emphasizes the theme of science as a process, underscoring the difference between theory and law and exploring the circular nature of the scientific method, in which each advance in theory suggests new questions to consider.
2. A History of Marine Science.
3. Earth Structure and Plate Tectonics.
4. Ocean Basins.
5. Ocean Sediments.
6. Water and Ocean Structure.
7. Ocean Chemistry.
8. Circulation of the Atmosphere.
9. Circulation of the Ocean.
13. Life in the Ocean.
14. Plankton, Algae, and Plants.
15. Marine Animals.
16. Marine Communities.
17. Marine Resources.
18. The Ocean and the Environment.
Appendix I: Measurements and Conversions.
Appendix II: Geologic Time.
Appendix III: Latitude and Longitude, Time, and Navigation.
Appendix IV: Maps and Charts.
Appendix V: The Beaufort Scale.
Appendix VI: Taxonomic Classification of Marine Organisms.
Appendix VII: Periodic Table of the Elements.
Appendix VIII: Working in Marine Science.
Appendix IX: The World Ocean Floor.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Web Site
Everything you need for your course in one place! This collection of book-specific lecture and class tools is available online via www.cengage.com/login. Access and download PowerPoint presentations, images, instructor's manual, videos, and more.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero is a flexible, online system that allows you to author, edit, and manage test bank content from multiple Cengage Learning solutions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.