Request for consultation
The Seventh Edition of OCEANOGRAPHY: AN INVITATION TO MARINE SCIENCE maintains the author's enthusiasm for his subject and engaging writing style, which have made this text a trusted and effective favorite among non-science students. Tom Garrison brings focus and excitement to students' natural interest in the ocean by drawing on more than thirty years of teaching experience, as well as the extensive suggestions he collects from students while preparing each new edition. OCEANOGRAPHY provides a basic understanding of the scientific questions, complexities, and uncertainties involved in ocean use, as well as the role and importance of the ocean in nurturing and sustaining life on the planet. Garrison also emphasizes the interdisciplinary nature of marine science, stressing its links to biology, chemistry, geology, physics, meteorology, astronomy, ecology, history, and economics. In addition to coverage of new research, the Seventh Edition features increased information on climate change, with icons throughout the book to help students easily identify and connect the many factors that affect the world's climate and oceans. An outstanding range of support resources, including many multimedia items, is also available to complement the text and make teaching and learning even more effective.
- The Seventh Edition features a strong emphasis on climate change and how it is affecting the ocean. Integrated throughout the text, coverage of this important topic is highlighted by an icon to help students more easily identify and connect related material.
- Every chapter contains new and updated illustrations and graphics, which enhance the visual appeal of the text and make it easier for students to grasp important concepts in marine science.
- The new edition includes extensive updates to incorporate the latest research and current events. Garrison has revised every chapter in the book with new or updated statistics, graphics, data, and/or illustrations, in order to provide students with the most accurate and relevant information available. To help this book flow more easily with the course, the order for the first two chapters has been switched.
- A completely expanded and updated media package for instructors includes a PowerLecture CD with animations, zoomable art figures, and progressive step-by-step artwork illustrating oceanographic processes. The PowerLecture CD cuts down on instructor prep time and makes lecture presentation more powerful and visual.
- OCEANOGRAPHY emphasizes applications, connections, and relationships to other fields—demonstrating the integration of sciences that exists in the study of oceanography and providing a balance of physical and biological oceanography.
- "Questions From Students" at the end of each chapter answer the most common questions that students have about each topic, making it easier for instructors to anticipate and address student needs and for students to absorb and master the material.
- The text emphasizes the theme of science as a process, underscoring the difference between theory and law and exploring the circular nature of the scientific method, in which each advance in theory suggests new questions to consider.
- Each chapter summary includes a complete "Chapter in Perspective," a useful tool that contains a narrative review and a brief look ahead (providing continuity between chapters). You'll also find answers to the "Concept Check" questions interspersed throughout the chapter, as well as critical thinking questions and analytical questions with a mathematical emphasis to help students review the material and prepare for exams.
3. Earth Structure and Plate Tectonics.
4. Ocean Basins.
6. Water and Ocean Structure.
7. Ocean Chemistry.
8. Circulation of the Atmosphere.
9. Circulation of the Ocean.
13. Life in the Ocean.
14. Plankton, Algae, and Plants.
15. Marine Animals.
16. Marine Communities.
17. Marine Resources.
18. Environmental Concerns.
Appendix I: Measurements and Conversions.
Appendix II: Geological Time.
Appendix III: Absolute and Relative Dating.
Appendix IV: Latitude and Longitude, Time, and Navigation.
Appendix V: Maps and Charts.
Appendix VI: The Beaufort Scale.
Appendix VII: Calculating the Tide Generating Force.
Appendix VIII: Taxonomic Classification of Marine Organisms.
Appendix IX: Periodic Table of the Elements.
Appendix X: Working in Marine Science.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Web Site
Everything you need for your course in one place! This collection of book-specific lecture and class tools is available online via www.cengage.com/login. Access and download PowerPoint presentations, images, instructor's manual, videos, and more.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero is a flexible, online system that allows you to author, edit, and manage test bank content from multiple Cengage Learning solutions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.