Request for consultation
The most respected nutrition life cycle text, NUTRITION THROUGH THE LIFE CYCLE, Fifth Edition uses current research to explain the nutritional foundations necessary for the growth, development, and normal functioning of individuals in each stage of the life span. From preconception to the final stages of life, this text covers also clinical and nutritional interventions for each part of the life cycle. The text is organized systematically, with clinical nutrition topics following normal nutrition topics. The text maintains a consistent level of pedagogy throughout, highlighting key nutrition concepts, nutritional needs, nutrition and health disease outcomes, model programs, and case studies. Additionally, the text addresses new research on the roles played by healthful diets, nutrients, gene variants, and nutrient-gene interactions. NUTRITION THROUGH THE LIFE CYCLE, Fifth Edition features an expert author team providing a broad range of normal and clinical nutrition expertise from registered dietitians, teachers, and researchers. Available with InfoTrac® Student Collections http://gocengage.com/infotrac.
- Created learning objectives relevant to each major topic covered in the chapters.
- Expanded the number and types of review questions listed at the end of the chapters.
- Inserted new photographs, tables, and figures to enhance instruction and student understanding of material presented.
- InfoTrac® Student Collections are specialized databases expertly drawn from the Gale Academic One library. Each InfoTrac® Student Collection enhances the student learning experience in the specific course area related to the product. These specialized databases allow access to hundreds of scholarly and popular publications - all reliable sources - including journals, encyclopedias, and academic reports. Learn more and access at: http://gocengage.com/infotrac.
- Incorporated information from ChooseMyPlate, the 2010 Dietary Guidelines, and the 2020 Health Objectives for the Nation.
- New research on the roles played by healthful diets, nutrients, gene variants and nutrient–gene interactions, body fat, physical activity, and dietary supplements illustrated by tables, graphs, and figures.
- Added detailed information on the emerging emphasis on electronic medical records, evidence-based health care services, and standardization of care delivery.
- Included discussion of the new nutrition care process standards developed and implemented by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.
- Updated each of the following resources: 2010 WHO recommendations on breastfeeding and HIV, NIH allergy guidelines and for lactose and soy formula, IUGR growth charts, NHANES 2009-10 overweight and obesity data, new info from NHLBI expert panel recommendations on evidence-based cardiovascular health guidelines, ADA Exchange Lists for diabetes meal planning.
- New Review Questions at the end of Chapters 2-10.
- Increased emphasis on the use of SI units.
- Substantial updates in every chapter based on research since the last edition was published.
- Expanded presentation of oxidative stress, free radicals, antioxidants, chronic inflammation, and their relationship to diet and disease states from infertility to aging.
- Expanded coverage of ethnic disparities in health status.
- Incorporated presentations of mechanisms underlying nutrition and disease relationships throughout.
- Several of the chapters were developed with the help of a team of expert authors who are actively engaged in clinical practice, teaching, or research related to nutrition during the specific phase of the life cycle.
- The first chapter for each life cycle phase covers normal nutrition topics, and the following chapter covers nutrition-related "conditions and interventions."
- "Key Nutrition Concepts" begin each chapter to prepare students for what they will learn.
- Case studies, featured throughout the text, illustrate theory in practice, making complex normal and clinical nutritional concepts both memorable and easy for students to grasp. Answers to the Case Studies may be found in the Instructor's Manual.
- "Tables" and "Illustrations" are integrated throughout the text to segment the concepts being discussed, also making it easier for students to reference and review.
- Margin definitions allow students to quickly focus on primary topics and important terminology used in the course.
- Emphasis throughout the text on the nutrition care process standards developed by the American Dietetic Association. This new emphasis is important because the practice of dietetics and nutrition is changing due to the emerging emphasis on electronic medical records, evidence-based health care services, and standardization of care delivery. The following additions have been made to the Fourth Edition to incorporate the nutrition care process: 1. Expanded coverage of nutrition assessment in all chapters. New content in Case Studies related to the nutrition care process. Added nutrition biomarker values by life cycle stages.
2. Preconception Nutrition.
3. Preconception Nutrition: Conditions and Interventions.
4. Nutrition During Pregnancy.
5. Nutrition During Pregnancy: Conditions and Interventions.
6. Nutrition During Lactation.
7. Nutrition During Lactation: Conditions and Interventions.
8. Infant Nutrition.
9. Infant Nutrition: Conditions and Interventions.
10. Toddler and Preschooler Nutrition.
11. Toddler and Preschooler Nutrition: Conditions and Interventions.
12. Child and Preadolescent Nutrition.
13. Child and Preadolescent Nutrition: Conditions and Interventions.
14. Adolescent Nutrition.
15. Adolescent Nutrition: Conditions and Interventions.
16. Adult Nutrition.
17. Adult Nutrition: Conditions and Interventions.
18. Nutrition and Older Adults.
19. Nutrition and Older Adults: Conditions and Interventions.
Answers to Review Questions.
Appendix A: Summary of Research of Effects of Exercise Activities on Health of Older Adults.
Appendix B: Measurement Abbreviations and Equivalents.
Appendix C: Body Mass Index (BMI).
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Everything you need for your course in one place! This collection of product-specific lecture and class tools is available online via the instructor resource center at www.cengage.com/login. You'll be able to access and download materials such as PowerPoint® presentations, images, videos, and an instructor’s manual. Answers to the case studies also may be found here (in the instructor's manual) and are fully assignable in MindTap®.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions. Create multiple test versions in an instant, or deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.