Request for consultation
NUTRITION NOW introduces non-major students to the science of nutrition while engaging them through active learning exercises and applied, real-world examples. This text's unique modular format (33 units) helps students focus on critical content by organizing the material into smaller sections and provides instructors the flexibility to choose which units to cover and how to modify the order to meet course goals and objectives. Updated with the most current research, this text uses a clear, student-friendly writing style that makes content approachable but not oversimplified. The emphasis on active learning and critical thinking both in the text and the "Interactive Learning Guide" allows instructors to design an interactive environment regardless of class size or format (in classroom or online). NUTRITION NOW offers a flexible option to meet your course needs that will get your students excited about the science of nutrition.
- New! "Take Action" boxes encourage students to improve their health by making small, manageable changes such as increasing vegetable and fruit intake, stabilizing weight, and increasing the intensity of physical activity.
- Enhanced coverage of the role of inflammation in chronic diseases.
- Integrated coverage of the roles of diet, food components, body fat, and physical activity.
- In-depth overage of new MyPyramid and DASH Eating Plan tools and resources in Unit 6: "Healthful Diets: MyPyramid, the Dietary Guidelines, and More."
- New and revised dietary recommendations for heart disease, hypertension, diabetes, and cancer; and updated recommendations for physical activity in people of all ages.
- Updates to nutrition and physical performance content(from amino acid supplements and muscular recovery and strength to pre-event, event, and recovery foods and fluids). For a full listing of unit updates, see the preface of the Instructor's Edition.
- Figures, photos, and illustrations have been updated throughout to enhance the chapter material and to continue this text's reputation of being the most visually engaging personal nutrition text on the market.
- How do you engage students in course material? Could you use a text that promotes active learning and provides a flexible, customizable format? Nutrition Now offers a unique 33 unit modular format that helps students focus on core concepts and allows instructors to easily modify the material to match your course outline. The emphasis on active learning and critical thinking will engage students in the material and apply it to their own lives.
- Nutrition Scorecard boxes, at the beginning of each unit, give students the opportunity to test their knowledge before reading the material by asking them to assess the truth of often-heard nutrition "facts." This feature helps students focus on the content they need to learn in each unit.
- Reality Check boxes, like the Nutrition Scorecards, present often-heard nutrition "facts" in a format of opposing viewpoints to prompt students to apply their knowledge and draw their own conclusions.
- Nutrition Up Close boxes in every chapter encourage students to use their critical thinking skills and apply what they have learned. Feedback is included, and several boxes are annotated for use with Diet Analysis+ software. Topics include Nutrition Concepts Review, Evaluate Your Fiber Intake, and Checking Out a Fat Loss Product.
- Unit 13 ("Diabetes Now") covers the important issues specific to the diabetes epidemic in the United States, especially with the increase of obesity and Type 2 Diabetes. Topics include metabolic syndrome, insulin resistance, obesity in children, high glycemic foods, and more.
2. The Inside Story about Nutrition and Health.
3. The Ways of Knowing About Nutrition.
4. Understanding Food and Nutrition Labels.
5. Nutrition Attitudes and Behaviors.
6. Healthful Diets: Mypyramid, the Dietary Guidelines, and More.
7. How the Body Uses Food: Digestion and Absorption.
8. Calories! Food, Energy, and Energy Balance.
9. Obesity and Underweight: The Highs and Lows of Weight Status.
10. Weight Control: The Myths and Realities.
11. Disordered Eating: Anorexia Nervosa, Bulimia, and Pica.
12. Useful Facts about Sugars, Starches, and Fiber.
13. Diabetes Now.
14. Alcohol: The Positives and Negatives.
15. Proteins and Amino Acids.
16. Vegetarian Diets.
17. Food Allergies and Intolerances.
18. Fats and Cholesterol In Health.
19. Nutrition and Heart Disease.
20. Vitamins and Your Health.
21. Phytochemicals and Genetically Modified Food.
22. Diet and Cancer.
23. Good Things to Know About Minerals.
24. Dietary Supplements and Functional Foods.
25. Water is an Essential Nutrient.
26. Nutrient-Gene Interactions in Health and Disease.
27. Nutrition and Physical Fitness for Everyone.
28. Nutrition and Physical Performance.
29. Good Nutrition for Life: Pregnancy, Breastfeeding, and Infancy.
30. Nutrition for the Growing Years: Childhood Through Adolescents.
31. Nutrition and Health Maintenance for Adults of All Ages.
32. The Multiple Dimensions of Food Safety.
33. Aspects of Global Nutrition.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
NUTRITION NOW, 8th Edition engages students and provides maximum flexibility for instructors! Judith Brown introduces the science of nutrition to non-majors through active learning opportunities and real world examples. Special features like “Reality Checks” and “Take Action” help students apply the material to their personal lives. The 33 modular units enable instructors to easily select material, including foundational topics such as diet planning and tracking, the macronutrients, vitamins and minerals, exercise, pregnancy and lactation, global issues, and much more. The text is now available with MindTap, the most engaging and easily personalized online solution in Nutrition that enables instructors to deliver what they know is best for their students.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere. Include your own favorite test questions, create multiple test versions in an instant, or deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.
Reach your diet and nutritional goals with NUTRITION NOW, 8th Edition! Understanding the basic principles of nutrition and its impacts on your health can lead to better choices and more successful diet planning now and throughout your lifetime. Chapters cover nutrition basics such as diet planning, the macronutrients, vitamins and minerals, exercise, pregnancy and lactation, global issues, and much more. NUTRITION NOW organizes content into easy-to-read, manageable units that help you focus on the concepts while applying what you have learned to your own life.