Request for consultation
GLOBAL STRATEGY is the first textbook of its kind specifically written for the Capstone Management course for International Business programs and Strategic Management courses with a global emphasis. Whereas the few other available international strategy texts focus on how to manage larger multinational enterprises, Mike Peng's GLOBAL STRATEGY, Third Edition, offers several new perspectives. These include a broadened definition of "global strategy," comprehensive and innovative coverage, in-depth and consistent explanations of cutting-edge research, and an interesting and accessible way to engage students. The text uses the "strategy tripod"--analyzing strategy from the industry-, institution-, and resource-based views--to answer the question: What determines the success or failure of firms around the globe? Available with InfoTrac® Student Collections http://gocengage.com/infotrac.
- Increased Focus on Emerging Markets: GLOBAL STRATEGY, Third Edition, has a newly intensified focus on emerging markets, both the countries that are considered to be emerging markets for multinational firms and the often newer, younger firms that are arising and expanding from those emerging economies. Examples feature such companies as GE, De Beers diamonds, Citroen automobiles, Foxconn communications, and the Dubai airport.
- New Integrative Cases: Of the 15 Integrative Cases at the back of the book, 14 are new to this edition. This edition's set of cases focus on global businesses headquartered all over the world and highlight emerging markets in particular. The cases include such familiar names as Texas Instruments, Bank of America, and Disney, and perhaps less familiar emerging multinationals such as TeliaSonera, Wikimart, Jobek do Brasil, Ryanair, Baosteel, and more.
- InfoTrac® Student Collections are specialized databases expertly drawn from the Gale Academic One library. Each InfoTrac® Student Collection enhances the student learning experience in the specific course area related to the product. These specialized databases allow access to hundreds of scholarly and popular publications - all reliable sources - including journals, encyclopedias, and academic reports. Learn more and access at: http://gocengage.com/infotrac.
- New Chapter Cases: At least half of the opening and closing cases in every chapter are new. This expansive, real-world coverage features such organizations as Apple, Samsung, Hewlett-Packard, Pearl River Pianos, and HTC, and addresses such topics as patent disputes and retailing in India.
- Current Examples: As always, the "Strategy in Action" boxes provide additional glimpses into strategies used by real multinational firms. New topics covered in these boxed features include the cruise industry, the oil industry, private military companies, and website moderators.
- New EOC Feature, Topics for Expanded Projects: Because instructors are always looking for fresh and exciting ways to assess their students' learning, we have added a new feature to the end-of-chapter materials: Topics for Expanded Projects. At the end of every chapter, instructors will find three or four interesting ideas for activities, experiential exercises, and research and writing assignments that can be assigned to individuals or small groups.
- Cases: The Integrative Cases at the end of the book vary in length but always allow students to dig into the background details of a variety of companies and industries so that students can understand the strategies used.
- Business as an Evolving Entity: Mike Peng wants students to recognize that business is not a static institution but a dynamic, evolving entity. He includes two or three key debates at the end of each chapter, revealing that these concepts are not set in stone and motivating students to ask thoughtful questions.
- Savvy Strategist Applications: The "Savvy Strategist" sections at the end of each chapter explain how concepts can and will be applied in business situations.
- Ethical Coverage: Throughout every chapter, ethical challenges are presented in the sidebars and cases, and ethics-based questions appear in the discussion questions, encouraging students to consider the ethical issues involved in business today.
- Strategy Tripod: The text uses the "strategy tripod"--analyzing strategy from the industry-, institution-, and resource-based views--to answer the question: What determines the success or failure of firms around the globe?
- Interesting and Accessible: The author's writing style is engaging, somewhat casual, with a multitude of interesting examples and thought-provoking questions.
- Real-World Examples: The "Strategy in Action" sidebars, as well as the opening and closing cases, provide up-to-the-minute, real-world examples of the material presented in the book.
1. Strategizing Around the Globe.
2. Managing Industry Competition.
3. Leveraging Resources and Capabilities.
4. Emphasizing Institutions, Cultures, and Ethics.
Part 2: BUSINESS-LEVEL STRATEGIES.
5. Growing and Internationalizing the Entrepreneurial Firm.
6. Entering Foreign Markets.
7. Making Strategic Alliances and Networks Work.
8. Managing Global Competitive Dynamics.
Part 3: CORPORATE-LEVEL STRATEGIES.
9. Diversifying, Acquiring, and Restructuring.
10. Strategizing, Structuring, and Learning Around the World.
11. Governing the Corporation Around the World.
12. Strategizing With Corporate Social Responsibility.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
MindTap® Management, 1 term (6 months) Instant Access for Peng's Global Strategy
MindTap® Management for Peng's Global Strategy, 4th Edition is the digital learning solution that powers students from memorization to mastery. It gives you complete control of your course—to provide engaging content, to challenge every individual, and to build their confidence. Empower students to accelerate their progress with MindTap. MindTap: Powered by You. MindTap gives you complete ownership of your content and learning experience. Customize the interactive syllabi, emphasize the most important topics, and add your own material or notes in the eBook. MindTap is also available as a bundle option with the loose-leaf version of Peng's Global Strategy.
MindTap Management for Global Strategy
MindTap® Management for Peng’s Global Strategy, 4th Edition helps you learn on your terms. INSTANT ACCESS IN YOUR POCKET. Take advantage of the MindTap Mobile App. Read or listen to the text and study with the aid of instructor notifications, flashcards, and practice quizzes. MINDTAP HELPS YOU GEAR UP FOR ULTIMATE SUCCESS. Track your scores and stay motivated toward goals. Access study tools, including real-world assignments with narrative and video illustrations of global business examples. Whether you have more work to do or are ahead of the curve, you’ll know where to focus efforts. And the MindTap Green Dot will charge your confidence along the way. MINDTAP HELPS YOU MAKE THE TEXTBOOK YOURS. No one knows what works for you better than you. Highlight key text, add notes, and create custom flashcards. When it’s time to study, everything you’ve flagged can be gathered into a guide.