Request for consultation
This best-selling guide provides a complete, practical, up-to-date introduction to network and computer security. SECURITY+ GUIDE TO NETWORK SECURITY FUNDAMENTALS, Fifth Edition, maps to the new CompTIA Security+ SY0-401 Certification Exam, providing thorough coverage of all domain objectives to help readers prepare for professional certification and career success. The text covers the essentials of network security, including compliance and operational security; threats and vulnerabilities; application, data, and host security; access control and identity management; and cryptography. The extensively updated Fifth Edition features a new structure based on major domains, a new chapter dedicated to mobile device security, expanded coverage of attacks and defenses, and new and updated information reflecting recent developments and emerging trends in information security, such as virtualization. New hands-on and case activities help readers review and apply what they have learned, and end-of-chapter exercises direct readers to the Information Security Community Site for additional activities and a wealth of learning resources, including blogs, videos, and current news and information relevant to the information security field.
- The Fifth Edition has been updated to map closely to the new SY0-401 CompTIA Security+ exam objectives, presenting material in a way that aligns with exam objectives to help readers prepare effectively for professional certification and career success.
- Extensive new and updated material throughout the text provides current information on the latest attacks and defenses, while a new structure for the text organizes topics by major domains to better reflect both exam structure and professional practice.
- A new chapter on mobile device security reflects the increasingly widespread use and importance of devices such as laptops, tablets, and smartphones, as well as the unique security issues involved in supporting them.
- Two chapters on cryptography are now presented earlier in the text, based on the growing use of encryption across multiple defenses.
- Each chapter now includes a hands-on project based on virtualization, providing exposure to many aspects and applications of this increasingly widespread tool being used by businesses to save money and enhance security.
- New hands-on and case projects provide more opportunities for readers to apply what they have learned, as well as a greater range of realistic scenarios for better real-world preparation.
- End-of-chapter exercises direct readers to the Information Security Community Site for up-to-the-minute news and information, additional exercises, blogs, discussion boards, videos , and other useful resources.
- The text is supported by a full line of supplements to enhance teaching and learning, including a CourseMate with ebook, interactive quizzes, Engagement Tracker, and links to useful resources on the Information Security Community Site.
- This trusted text provides comprehensive coverage of essential network and computer security topics, including compliance and operational security; threats and vulnerabilities; application, data, and host security; access control and identity management; and cryptography.
- The author’s clear, engaging writing style makes even difficult concepts and complex processes easier for readers to understand, making the text an ideal resource for classroom instruction, self-paced learning, or professional reference.
- Special features throughout the text support effective teaching and learning; examples include review questions; illustrations of security vulnerabilities, attacks, and defenses; case studies highlighting real-world security scenarios, and hands-on projects that allow readers to apply what they have learned.
1. Introduction to Security.
Part II: THREATS.
2. Malware and Social Engineering Attacks.
3. Application and Networking-Based Attacks.
Part III: BASIC SECURITY.
4. Host, Application, and Data Security.
Part IV: CRYPTOGRAPHY.
5. Basic Cryptography.
6. Advanced Cryptography.
Part V: NETWORK SECURITY.
7. Network Security.
8. Administering a Secure Network.
Part VI: MOBILE SECURITY.
9. Wireless Network Security.
10. Mobile Device Security.
Part VII: ACCESS CONTROL AND IDENTITY MANAGEMENT.
11. Access Control Fundamentals.
12. Authentication and Account Management.
Part VIII: COMPLIANCE & OPERATIONAL SECURITY.
13. Business Continuity.
14. Risk Mitigation.
15. Vulnerability Assessment and Third Party Integration.
“I was especially impressed by the information in Chapter 14 regarding policies. The chapter leaves the reader with a good understanding of how, why, and when to create policies, along with how to implement them into an organization.”
“Ch 12 does a great job of taking an age old security topic like passwords, and putting an interesting spin on it in ways that students will be able to relate to.”
“Chapter 13 does a good job discussing many different redundancy based technologies and it also excels in keepting the discussions pointed and brief.”
“The end of the chapter hands on projects are great and the support the concepts in the chapter as a whole. The chapter does prepare the student to complete all the end of chapter projects.”
“The introduction to is excellent! It gives a great scenario of an event that can and have occurred with within the security realm. It give a great lead into the overall point of chapter 12 on why secure passwords are essential and how social media can be hacked if you do not setup secure passwords. The section on Passwords and Biometrics is excellent.”
“This chapter has more Hands-On-Projects than the current edition, I welcome that. Students will be able to complete all Hands-On-Projects after the chapter is covered in class.”
“Chapter 8 is a very rich chapter covering CompTIA Security + exam objectives 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, 2.1, 3.6, 4.3, 4.4.Great coverage of application layer protocols, comparison of IPv4 and IPv6, network administration principals, importance of virtualization and some converge of emerging technologies.”
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
MindTap® Information Security, 1 term (6 months) Instant Access for EC-Council Press’ Computer Forensics Series
MindTap® for EC-Council’s Computer Forensics Series is the digital learning solution that powers students from memorization to mastery. It gives you complete control of your course. Empower students to accelerate their progress with MindTap: Powered by You. MindTap helps students master skills for today’s workforce. Research shows employers need critical thinkers, troubleshooters and creative problem-solvers. MindTap helps with activities, hands-on lab practice, and certification test prep. Assignments progress from basic to challenging problems and tie to the C
MindTap Information Security for EC-Council Press’ Computer Forensics Series
MindTap® Information Security for EC-Council Press' Computer Forensics: Investigation Procedures and Response (CHFI), 2nd Edition helps you learn on your terms. INSTANT ACCESS IN YOUR POCKET. Take advantage of the MindTap Mobile App. Read or listen to the text and study with the aid of instructor notifications, the IQ app, flashcards, and practice quizzes. MINDTAP HELPS YOU GEAR UP FOR ULTIMATE SUCCESS. Track your scores so you know where to focus your efforts and stay motivated toward your goals. Study tools include hands-on labs and real-life scenarios that sharpen critical-thinking skills. MINDTAP HELPS YOU MAKE THE TEXTBOOK YOURS. No one knows what works for you better than you. Highlight key text, add notes, and create custom flashcards. When it’s time to study, everything you’ve flagged or noted can be gathered into a guide you can organize.