Request for consultation
Welcome to the leading text in surgical technology – the most up-to-date, the most trusted, and the most comprehensive. SURGICAL TECHNOLOGY FOR THE SURGICAL TECHNOLOGIST: A POSITIVE CARE APPROACH, Fourth Edition is your trusted source for comprehensive foundational surgical technology information. This streamlined new edition gets right to the essential topics such as equipment and supplies, operative preparation, practical and technical considerations, and postoperative considerations. With updated real-life scenarios, medical artwork, live surgery images, and numerous tools to support learning, this text is the ultimate resource for helping students anticipate the patient's and surgeon's needs before, during, and after a surgical procedure. Full coverage of essential procedures, this text provides students with the information needed to successfully apply the guidelines found in the Sixth Edition Core Curriculum for Surgical Technology, published by the Association of Surgical Technologists.
- Meticulously cross referenced against the Core Curriculum for Surgical Technology Sixth Edition to provide all the required educational elements and reduce extraneous content.
- Extensive, excellent new section on All-Hazards Preparation fulfills Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) requirements.
- New procedures are included in the surgical procedures chapters.
- New medical artwork for Cataract Extraction, Thyroidectomy, and Coronary Artery Bypass Graft Procedures has been added to help students visualize and apply what they are learning.
- Live Surgery images have been added to visually enhance the written content..
- New Coursemate to Accompany Surgical Technology for the Surgical Techologist,Fourth Edition, is available for purchase, providing additional quizzing, power points, flashcards and glossary games, and much more to enhance the learner's experience.
- The accompanying Study Guide/Lab Manual has been completely revised so that it precisely correlates with the text curriculum.
- Case studies with critical thinking questions open and close each chapter for application to real-life situations.
- Uses the "A POSitive CARE" memory tool to reinforce the thought process.
- Contains full-color anatomy and surgical procedure drawings.
- Questions for Further Study at the close of each chapter challenge students to apply the concepts covered in the chapter.
- Free student resources online with games, quizzes, certification exam-style questions, image labeling and ordering exercises, as well as case studies paired with video clips for more critical thinking practice.
- Technique boxes highlight skills required in most operative procedures, such as donning and removing surgical attire, and setting up the operating room.
- Contains Pearls of Wisdom from surgical technologists that can only come from years of on-the-job experience.
1. Orientation to Surgical Technology.
2. Legal Concepts, Risk Management, and Ethical Issues.
3. The Surgical Patient.
4. Special Populations.
5. Physical Environment and Safety Standards.
SECTION 2: PRINCIPLES AND PRACTICE OF SURGICAL TECHNOLOGY.
6. Biomedical Science.
7. Preventing Perioperative Disease Transmission.
8. Hemostasis, Emergency Situations, and All-Hazards Preparation.
9. Surgical Pharmacology and Anesthesia.
10. Instrumentation, Equipment, and Supplies.
11. Wound Healing, Sutures, Needles, and Stapling Devices.
12. Surgical Case Management.
SECTION 3. SURGICAL PROCEDURES.
13. Diagnostic Procedures.
14. General Surgery.
15. Obstetric and Gynecological Surgery.
16. Ophthalmic Surgery.
17. Otorhinolaryngologic Surgery.
18. Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery.
19. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery.
20. Genitourinary Surgery.
21. Orthopedic Surgery.
22. Cardiothoracic Surgery.
23. Peripheral Vascular Surgery.
Appendix A: Anatomy Plates.
Appendix B: Common Prefixes and Suffixes.
Appendix C: Measurements.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Companion Website
Everything you need for your course in one place! This collection of book-specific lecture and class tools is available online via www.cengage.com/login. Access and download a wide range of resources such as PowerPoint® presentations, images, an instructor’s manual, solutions, videos, extra test questions, and more. To find out if your book has an Instructor Companion Site, visit academic.cengage.com find your book.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere. Include your own favorite test questions, create multiple test versions in an instant, and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.