Request for consultation
Packed with up-to-date examples and the most current coverage available, MEDIA NOW: UNDERSTANDING MEDIA, CULTURE, AND TECHNOLOGY, 9e encourages students to think critically about the media and its effects on culture by providing them with a thorough understanding of how media technologies develop, operate, converge, and affect society. The text offers a comprehensive introduction to today's global media environment and ongoing developments in technology, culture, and critical theory that continue to transform the rapidly evolving industry. Focusing on the essential history, theories, concepts, and technical knowledge, MEDIA NOW develops students' media literacy skills to prepare them for careers in the expanding fields of the Internet, interactive media, and traditional media industries. In addition to new infographics and illustrations, the cutting-edge Ninth Edition includes the latest developments and trends in social media, e-publishing, policy changes for Internet governance, online privacy protection, online ad exchanges, the changing video game industry, and much more. Now available with the text, or as a standalone product, MindTap delivers the ultimate personal learning experience−as well as a wealth of instructor resources−to help maximize the success of your course.
- Offering a captivating visual presentation, all-new infographics, illustrations, tables, charts, and Media Then/Media Now timelines explain key concepts to students at a glance.
- The text's cutting-edge coverage of social media and its affect on media as a whole have been updated in all applicable chapters. In addition, the Ninth Edition thoroughly discusses how the many different kinds of mass communication are affected by these social tools.
- Providing the ultimate personal learning experience, MindTap is available with the Ninth Edition of MEDIA NOW and offers an interactive e-book of the entire text, chapter quizzes, assignments, and engaging activities-as well as analytical and customization tools for instructors.
- Chapter 3 “Books and Magazines” explores the latest trends in e-publishing, such as the popularity of self-publishing and the proliferation of online magazines.
- Chapter 9 on the Internet covers the legislation surrounding net neutrality and the latest changes in Internet technology, including HTML5 and IP v.6, as well as the policy changes regarding Internet governance and online privacy protection.
- Chapter 11's coverage of advertising discusses the online ad exchanges and the growing impact of data brokers as marketing and advertising resources.
- Chapter 13 provides the latest on the changing video game industry as it moves to downloadable casual and social media games, as well as recent research on the effects of video games.
- Comprehensive coverage of recent technological and marketplace developments includes how mobile devices and social media sites are altering the media landscape and impacting our culture, the changes in how we watch television, and how technology is affecting the publishing and music industry.
- The text explores the cultural impact of the media from the perspectives of both current research and historical trends as it covers such topics as the digital television transition; online television and newspapers; how the Internet helps aspiring musicians, television producers, and moviemakers; and the growth and impact of video games.
- Engaging “Media Then/Media Now” timelines at the beginning of every chapter−and at the point of reference in the text-demonstrate how media has changed in conjunction with changes in society, helping visual learners put key events into context.
- Highlighting cultural issues, “Media and Culture” boxes examine the unique influence media has on individuals, society, and culture.
- Guiding readers to the “hot spots” in media industries, updated “Your Media Career” features include the latest projections from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, while “WorldView” features help students expand their thinking from beyond the front door to global perspectives.
- “Technology Demystified” boxes explain even complex technological information in a clear and accessible way, making it easier for students to understand essential concepts they will use when beginning careers in media.
- Included throughout each chapter and online, “Stop & Review” features prompt students to thoroughly evaluate the concepts presented in the text. In addition, “Summary and Review” end-of-chapter sections help ensure thorough understanding through questions and brief narrative answers.
- At the end of every chapter, “Thinking Critically About the Media” questions ask students to consider, discuss, and write about larger issues surrounding the media, such as what their lives will be like in a future information society and ways to use the spectrum broadcasters are giving up in the digital transition.
- Media Literacy sections within each media chapter focus on key issues related to the impact of media on culture and society, encouraging students to analyze issues related to their consumption of media and become more effective media activists and critics. Completely up to date, these sections include a “news you can use” focus that provides practical tips to empower students as media consumers, including how to stay safe online, join copyright commons, get on the do-not-call list, or start a blog; where to file media complaints; and how to sort out broadband options.
1. The Changing Media.
2. Media and Society.
Part II: THE MEDIA.
3. Books and Magazines.
5. Recorded Music.
7. Film and Home Video.
9. The Internet.
10. Public Relations.
12. The Third Screen: Smartphones and Tablets.
13. Video Games.
Part III: MEDIA ISSUES.
14. Media Uses and Impacts.
15. Media Policy and Law.
16. Media Ethics.
17. Global Communications Media.
“The thing that Straubhaar seems to do better than most is be “today.” It is very strong on current issues with up-to-date examples in each media form.”
“The Straubhaar text is a well-written and comprehensive look at media, culture and technology that affect mass communications consumers and the practice of journalism. The fresh mix of explanations, references and illustrative graphics sets it apart from other books covering a similar range of topics, and gives students relevant food for thought toward sharpening their media literacy or considering communications careers.”
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Web Site
Everything you need for your course in one place! This collection of product-specific lecture and class tools is available online via the instructor resource center at www.cengage.com/login.
Online Instructor's Resource Manual
Streamline and maximize the effectiveness of your course preparation using such resources as brief chapter outlines, chapter summaries, extensively detailed chapter lecture outlines, lecture suggestions, video suggestions, and creative lecture and teaching suggestions. Accessible via the Instructor Companion Website.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.