Request for consultation
Consistently praised for its engaging writing style, currency, and visual appeal, MEDIA/IMPACT: AN INTRODUCTION TO MASS MEDIA, Ninth Edition, introduces students to today's converged mass media--its industries and support industries, as well as the legal, ethical, social, global, and technological issues that accompany them. Emphasizing the impact of the media on individuals and society, Biagi grounds her discussion in the fact that the media are first and foremost in the business of making money, and provides concise histories of each industry before giving students an insider's look at what it is like to work in each industry. The ninth edition of this enduring bestseller offers several important new features, including a media literacy case study in each chapter; enhanced chapter review materials, including new Critical Questions; an extensive online media careers guide; and an entirely new collection of video clips with critical viewing questions.
- Nine new "TimeFrame" features emphasize crucial milestones in the history of each type of media industry. Students can see at-a-glance how one person, invention, or event shaped today's media businesses--from books, newspapers, and magazines to recordings, radio, movies, television and the Internet.
- The ninth edition of MEDIA/IMPACT: AN INTRODUCTION TO MASS MEDIA features extensive updates to offer students the latest industry information and an inside perspective--on how American mass media industries operate today, such as exploring the Nielsen Company's attempt to track the viewing habits of TV watchers on mobile devices and the Federal Communications Commission's new requirement for universal high definition television.
- New and updated "Media/Impact" features track the latest changes in mass communication in six different areas--culture, ethics, business, people, audience, and world--helping students draw connections between information from primary sources such as WIRED magazine and THE WALL STREET JOURNAL, and the effects of media on all aspects of life.
- In addition to its own chapter (Ethics: Placing Responsibility), integrated coverage of ethics appears throughout the text.
- Timelines cover important dates and milestones for each of the mass media industries, giving students historical perspective in a handy, visual format.
- Inclusive treatment of women and minorities appears throughout the text.
- An emphasis on "media as business" helps students move successfully from this course into their major/industry of choice.
- Chapter 1 (Mass Media and Everyday Life) includes a strong emphasis on convergence, media consolidation, personalized media, and the interplay between media and culture (how each affects the other).
- An extensively revised Chapter 9 (Digital Media: Expanding the Wireless Web) focuses on wireless, worldwide digital access and its impact on individuals and communities around the globe.
- A media literacy case study appears in every chapter, giving students opportunities to think critically about the media and apply chapter concepts.
2. Books: Rearranging the Page.
3. Newspapers: Expanding Delivery.
4. Magazines: Targeting the Audience.
5. Recordings: Demanding Choices.
6. Radio: Riding the Wave.
7. Movies: Picturing the Future.
8. Television: Changing Channels.
9. Digital Media: Widening the Web.
10. Advertising: Motivating Consumers.
11. Public Relations: Promoting Ideas.
12. News and Information: Getting Personal.
13. Society, Culture and Politics: Shaping the Issues.
14. Law and Regulation: Rewriting the Rules.
15. Ethics: Placing Responsibility.
16. Global Media: Discovering New Markets.
"Shirley Biagi has done an extraordinary job in a limited number of pages for a course that is overwhelming in its breadth. I have great respect for her research and for her teaching. It is her ability as a teacher that makes her a natural writer of textbooks."
"I found Biagi's MEDIA/IMPACT to be an exceptionally current and well organized text for my Media and Society course. The chapters flow well, with plenty of opportunities for students to self-direct their path through the material. In some ways, the book resembles a web experience for students, yet still printed two-dimensionally on paper. Well done. I'm strongly considering changing to this text for my class."
"Excellent book, very well written and easily accessible to the college freshman. I really like the chapter review section at the end of each chapter. It's an excellent tool for students to quickly review for chapter quizzes."
"Generally, I am pleased with the text, which has been my text of choice for more than a decade because it engages my students in a comprehensive and intriguing exploration of the media landscape and all of its economic, legal, ethical, political, and social complexities."
Instructor's Web Site
Everything you need for your course in one place! This collection of product-specific lecture and class tools is available online via the instructor resource center at www.cengage.com/login.
Online Instructor's Resource Manual
This detailed manual provides online tools to assist instructors in teaching the course.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.