Request for consultation
A leading resource for K–8 literacy programs, this extremely popular reading methods text has a simple goal: to provide aspiring teachers with the tools to help every student learn to read and write. LITERACY: HELPING CHILDREN CONSTRUCT MEANING, 9th Edition, continues to provide pre-service and in-service teachers with the information, techniques, and strategies they need to assist their students in becoming literate. The text is distinguished in the field by its use of practical literacy lessons and authentic examples, which clearly demonstrate how to teach reading and writing. The Common Core State Standards are a major focus of this revision. In addition, new, full-color children's stories (in excerpts or in their entirety) model extended literacy lessons.
- Every chapter has been rewritten or reorganized, including updates to references and research, to give teachers the most current research-based perspectives needed to develop effective strategies for teaching literacy.
- Several new “Educators Speak” features provide practical classroom perspectives and tips from teachers across the country.
- The “Good Books and Where to Find Them” feature has been updated with the most recent award winners. In addition, the “For Additional Reading” section has been updated, allowing teachers to easily locate helpful information about pertinent and user-friendly sources.
- Each chapter now has learning objectives that are reflected in new graphic organizers and correlated to the main sections in each chapter, showing students what they need to know to process and understand the information in the chapter. After completing the chapter, students should be able to demonstrate how they can use and apply their new knowledge and skills.
- New opening scenarios in every chapter make real-life connections with classrooms, teachers, and K-8 students. The scenarios are revisited within the chapter to help users of the text build a better practical understanding of chapter content.
- The Common Core State Standards (CCSS) are a major focus throughout the text. An icon appears in the margin to show where CCSS discussions and connections are made.
- This edition includes completely new standards-based “Literacy Lessons.” Each lesson features a new piece of literature and is developed using the Common Core State Standards. The purpose of these lessons is to help pre-service and in-service teachers “know how to teach” while meeting the demands of the Common Core State Standards.
- An expanded emphasis on English Language Learners (ELL) includes practical strategies for use by classroom teachers. An ELL icon in the margins identifies where these connections are made in the text.
- “Digital Download” notations identify information as well as figures and tables (many in complete versions not included in the text) that are available for students to download, customize, and use in their classrooms and to review key concepts.
- “Did You Get It?” quizzes allow students to measure their performance against the learning objectives in each chapter. One question for each learning objective is featured in the textbook to encourage students to go to CengageBrain.com, take the full quiz, and check their understanding.
- Posters and graphics, which have been an important part of this text, have been revised and updated with a fresh new look. Many are available as “Digital Downloads” for use in classrooms.
- TeachSource Video Case features in each chapter introduce videos (viewable at the CourseMate website) that bring text content to life.
- Standards-based “Literacy Lessons” illustrate how standards in various states are more alike than different. Multilevel notes within each lesson indicate how a lesson can be used with students of varying abilities and backgrounds.
- Reflecting the increasing focus on Response to Intervention (RTI) and Tiers of Intervention, Chapter 9 includes information to help teachers understand, identify, and manage whatever level of intervention a student might require.
- “How Do I Teach?” features offer aspiring teachers useful strategies and techniques for effective teaching.
- “Word Skills: Phonics and Structural Analysis for Teachers,” a handbook resource at the back of the text, is designed to help teachers develop the content of phonics and structural analysis.
- “Good Books and Where to Find Them,” a website resource, indexes all of the literature referenced in the text and lists additional award-winning books and resources to help prospective teachers keep up with new literary offerings.
2. Frameworks for Effective Standards-Based Literacy Lessons.
3. Prior Knowledge: Activating and Developing Concepts and Vocabulary.
4. How to Teach Strategies for Constructing Meaning.
5. Beginning Literacy.
6. Intermediate Grades and Middle School: Decoding, Vocabulary, and Meaning.
7. Responding and the Construction of Meaning.
8. Writing and the Construction of Meaning.
9. Helping Struggling Readers.
10. Developing a Management System for a Comprehensive Balanced Literacy Classroom.
11. Assessment and Evaluation in the Comprehensive Balanced Literacy Classroom.
Good Books and Where to Find Them.
Handbook Resource Word Skills: Phonics and Structural Analysis for Teachers.
"This book provides the appropriate research to be effective with both those in the field and those preparing to teach. It is set up to model effective instruction and provides examples of the skills taught using real literature."
"I will describe this as a text that we need to consider very seriously as we “beef up” how our three literacy courses prepare our students for the Common Core Standards, and teaching reading and writing together. The underlying philosophy I find in the writing chapter is right on target for a text that I would choose! This is a current, timely text."
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.