Request for consultation
The Illustrated Series Soft Skills titles are designed to make it easy to teach students the essential soft skills necessary to succeed in today’s competitive workplace. This text delves into the importance of effective, professional, and polite verbal communication from speaking with clients to everyday dialogue with colleagues. Each book and companion CourseMate cover 40 critical skills, providing students with extensive knowledge they can bring with them into the real world. CourseMate brings each text to life with an audio visual eBook, scenario videos, access to Career Transitions, interactive activities for reinforcement, and Engagement Tracker, a first-of-its-kind tool that monitors student engagement in the course!
- New! CourseMate digital solution with an interactive eBook, quizzes, review games, assessment tools, and scenario-based exercises that can be automatically graded and tracked.
- Same Illustrated reader-friendly pedagogy enhanced to tie print and digital components closely together for a more engaging learning experience.
- Employs the Illustrated Series' reader-friendly pedagogy, providing short, focused text on key soft skills needed to succeed in a technological workplace.
- Provides timeless information about skills that make students more marketable to companies and that are necessary in the professional world.
- Complements any course with modular content that can be integrated in existing courses or used for short courses or workshops.
- You Try It exercises allow students to demonstrate their understanding of each lesson.
- Yellow shaded boxes provide real world stories from today's workplace.
- Technology@Work lessons cover Web 2.0 tools and technologies relating to each unit to ensure students' knowledge of the most current technology skills and trends.
- End of unit Critical Thinking questions and Be the Critic exercises require students to analyze and evaluate important soft skills topics from each unit to promote independent problem solving.
1. Organizing Your Messages.
2. Using Vocal Elements Effectively.
3. Understanding Nonverbal Languages.
4. Developing Credibility.
5. Giving and Receiving Feedback.
6. Overcoming Barriers to Communication.
7. Communicating Ethically.
8. Understanding Cross-Cultural Issues.
PART II: WORKING WITH CUSTOMERS.
9. Understanding Customer Service Basics.
10. Communicating Empathetically.
11. Adding Questions to Understand Problems.
12. Denying Requests.
13. Coping with Angry Customers.
14. Dealing with the Unexpected.
15. Working with Customers with Disabilities.
PART III: DEVELOPING PROFESSIONAL TELEPHONE SKILLS.
16. Exploring Professional Telephone Communication.
17. Placing Telephone Calls.
18. Receiving Telephone Calls.
19. Using Voice Mail.
20. Leaving Professional Messages.
21. Taking Calls for Other People.
22. Screening, Holding, and Transferring Calls.
23. Developing Cell Phone Etiquette.
PART IV: IMPROVING INFORMAL COMMUNICATION.
24. Communicating Informally.
25. Listening Actively.
26. Speaking Persuasively.
27. Negotiating Effectively.
28. Managing Conflict.
29. Participating in Meetings.
30. Dealing with Office Politics.
31. Making Proper Introductions.
PART V: MAKING FORMAL PRESENTATIONS.
32. Planning Effective Presentations.
33. Developing Presentation Content.
34. Rehearsing a Presentation.
35. Delivering a Presentation.
36. Building Rapport.
37. Managing Anxiety.
38. Using Appropriate Visuals.
39. Managing Questions and Answers.