Request for consultation
Created specifically for students of Health Information Management and Health Information Technology, this worktext helps bridge the gap between knowledge gained through classroom instruction and real-world, on-the-job application. This versatile text can be used throughout the curriculum, which makes it a perfect complement to any HIM or HIT course, and suitable for lab or practicum work, individual or group assignments, self-study, and professional reference. Questions and exercises for each case study require students to draw on critical thinking, problem solving, and decision making skills, facilitating the transition from studying theory to analyzing and applying what they have learned. Now updated and expanded, the new second edition features the latest AHIMA domains and competencies, so instructors can teach the most current curriculum and students can prepare effectively for certification. In addition, new online learning resources provide convenient access to additional web content, online forms, and spreadsheets for use in case-related assignments.
- The Second Edition includes updated information on the latest AHIMA RHIA and RHIT domains and competencies, linking case studies to the most current curriculum and allowing students to prepare effectively for certification exams.
- Many of the text's 240 case studies have been revised and updated to reflect current industry practices and cutting-edge technology, as well as providing additional emphasis on important topics such as working with registries, meaningful use, the Joint Commission, electronic health interchanges, and disaster planning.
- Case studies in the Second Edition feature a wider variety of care settings to better reflect the idverse options available to today's professionals outside of traditional inpatient facilities, including long-term care centers, behavioral health organizations, correctional institutions, and skilled nursing facilities.
- In addition to promoting critical thinking, problem solving, and decision making, many questions and exercises in the current edition include complex statistical activities involving spreadsheets and flow charts, providing an opportunity to hone valuable technical skills.
- New and updated teaching and learning resources are available to complement the text, including a companion website with additional content, online forms, and downloadable spreadsheets.
- This versatile text is a perfect complement to any HIM or HIT course, as well as a valuable resource for self-study or professional reference.
- The text's 240 real-world cases address diverse scenarios across seven major HIM topics, including health data management, healthcare privacy and ethics, information technology, and project and operations management.
- Within each section, case studies progress from simple, common situations to increasingly complex and difficult challenges, allowing students to steadily increase their knowledge and confidence while developing essential critical thinking, problem solving, and decision making skills.
- Cases include realistic forms modeled on current documentation used by HIM professionals, helping students gain familiarity with an important aspect of daily practice in the field.
- A detailed correlation grid illustrates how case studies relate to current AHIMA RHIA and RHIT domains and competencies needed for certification, making it easy to connect classroom work to exam preparation efforts and the essential skills students will apply as they begin their careers.
2. Clinical Classification Systems and Reimbursement Methods.
3. Statistics and Quality Improvement.
4. Healthcare Privacy, Confidentiality, Legal, and Ethical Issues.
5. Information Technology and Systems.
6. Management and Health Information Services.
7. Project and Operations Management.
"I would highly recommend this text to my fellow faculty and all other HIM colleagues. I would encourage them to adopt this text because of the positive results I see in student accomplishment during the exercises. The wide range of scenarios and activities build student self-confidence in areas where they have had little or no experience. Most of all, the students enjoy working on the case studies as they put their HIM knowledge into practice."
"I love this book, I love the variety of topics all under the same cover- students can buy it once and use it multiple times."
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing by Cognero is a flexible, online system that allows you to author, edit, and manage test bank content from multiple Cengage Learning solutions. Create multiple test versions in an instant, and then deliver tests from your LMS, classroom, or wherever you want.