Request for consultation
Introduction to Veterinary Science, second edition, provides core information for a variety of learners including those studying animal and veterinary sciences as well as students desiring to become veterinary assistants or technicians. The text begins with an overview of cellular and tissue physiology and then follows a systems approach for easy comprehension. It also investigates nutrition, disease, surgeries, and cost analysis of procedures. Both small and large animals are used in examples to provide a real life look at the varied cases encountered in the field. Each chapter begins with a "Day in the Life" preview that gives practical application to the text’s theory, and ends with a description of clinical significance. Introduction to Veterinary Science remains a must have text for animal and veterinary oriented classrooms.
- Current key concerns such as avian influenza are investigated in the new edition.
- The image library allows for instructors to increase understanding by providing the visuals needed by the contemporary student population.
- New laboratory activities and additional test bank questions freshen the ancillary material.
- The updated career section reflects the changing needs of veterinary professionals
- The "Day in the Life" introduction to each chapter gives clinical relevance to the theoretical material.
- The text starts at the basic cell unit and builds to a systems approach making learning sequentially logical.
- Learner activities found at end of each chapter provide hands-on experiences that engage students.
Chapter 1: Basic Cell Biology
Chapter 2: Tissue Types and Functions
Chapter 3: Musculoskeletal System
Chapter 4: Circulatory System
Chapter 5: Respiratory System
Chapter 6: Renal System
Chapter 7: The Digestive System
Chapter 8: The Productive System
Chapter 9: The Nervous System
Chapter 10: The Endocrine System
Chapter 11: The Immune System
UNIT II: NUTRITION
Chapter 12: Basic Nutrients
Chapter 13: Species Comparison
UNIT III: DISEASES
Chapter 14: Principles of Infectious Disease
Chapter 15: Disease Prevention
Chapter 16: Classification of Diseases
Chapter 17: Zoonoses
Chapter 18: Diagnoses of Disease
UNIT IV: SURGERY
Chapter 19: Principles of Surgery
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor Companion Website
Everything you need for your course in one place! This collection of book-specific lecture and class tools is available online via www.cengage.com/login. Access and download PowerPoint® presentations, images, instructor’s manual, lesson plans, and more.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing, Powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.