Request for consultation
Fully updated to reflect the latest changes in the field, this new edition provides comprehensive, practical coverage of both law enforcement and the criminal justice system as a whole (including courts, corrections, and juvenile justice) in one convenient volume. Acclaimed for its uniquely accessible writing style, many real-world examples, and its realistic and relevant "boots on the street" perspective, this new edition is packed with up-to-date information on today's hottest topics, including the Towards Zero Death (TZD) traffic-safety initiative, rapid DNA profiling, CompStat Plus, warrantless searches of vehicles, hacktivism, iPads/tablets and geolocation "pinging"communication devices in the field. joint terrorism task forces (JTTFs), and more.
- New "Myth vs. Reality" boxes in every chapter debunk popular misconceptions about policing and criminal justice.
- New material has been added on the results of the Philadelphia Foot Patrol Experiment, joint terrorism task forces (JTTFs), the Toward Zero Deaths (TZD) traffic safety initiative, hacktivism, technology in policing (SpotShotter gunshot detection, rapid DNA profiling, communication devices in the field such as iPads/tablets, and geolocation "pinging"), and more.
- The most recent statistics on criminal justice system employment and expenditures; crime, criminal events, and victimization; red-light running fatalities, work zone fatalities, seat belt use, alcohol-impaired driving and distracted driving; community policing and intelligence-led policing; post-conviction exonerations based on DNA evidence; and more are included.
- Additional case studies bring the material to life.
- New career profiles showcase the day-to-day work of a blood spatter expert, a crime scene investigator, and a child safety educator from the Jacob Wetterling Resource Center.
- An updated discussion of data-driven strategies and policing, including CompStat Plus policing, is included.
- Comprehensive coverage of both policing and the criminal justice system as a whole helps readers understand the role of police within the larger criminal justice system.
- An easy-to-read writing style aids student comprehension.
- An engaging, structured learning environment facilitates mastery of the material.
- The experience and inside knowledge of an active-duty law enforcement officer (Sergeant Cho) is reflected in the book's realistic, relevant information about contemporary law enforcement and criminal justice.
1. A Brief History: The Evolution of Law and Our Criminal Justice System.
2. The American Quest for Freedom and Justice: Our Laws.
3. Crime in the United States: Offenses, Offenders, Victims.
SECTION II: CONTEMPORARY LAW ENFORCEMENT.
4. Contemporary Policing: An Overview.
5. Patrol: The Backbone of Policing.
6. Specialized Roles of Police.
7. Policing after 9/11: Traditional, Community and Data-Driven Policing.
SECTION III: CHALLENGES TO THE PROFESSION.
8. Policing within the Law.
9. Gangs and Drugs: Threats to Our National Security.
10. Terrorism and Homeland Security.
11. Issues Concerning Police Conduct.
12. Becoming a Law Enforcement Professional.
SECTION IV: COURTS AND CORRECTIONS: LAW ENFORCEMENT'S PARTNERS IN THE CRIMINAL JUSTICE SYSTEM.
13. U.S. Courts.
"The textbook is a comprehensive introductory textbook for any Criminal Justice program. Its distinguishing elements are easy-reading, good support for instructors, and personal stories from professionals in the field."
"I think what sets Hess apart from her competitors is simplicity and ease. Other textbooks are a bit more complex and just not as suitable for an introductory course unless being used in conjunction with something else."
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Online Instructor's Manual
This detailed manual provides learning objectives, chapter outlines, lecture notes, key terms, class assignments, and discussion questions to assist instructors in teaching the course.
Online Test Bank (with Microsoft Word)
Create exams and quizzes for your course with the resources found in the Test Bank, including multiple-choice, true/false, short-answer, and essay questions. All questions are tagged with learning objectives, Bloom's levels, and text references for each chapter.
Online PowerPoint® (with Art)
These vibrant Microsoft® PowerPoint® lecture slides for each chapter assist you with your lecture by providing concept coverage using images, figures, and tables directly from the textbook.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to: import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.