Request for consultation
Today most people agree that no business is purely domestic and that even the smallest local firms are affected by global competition and world events. INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS AND ITS LEGAL ENVIRONMENT is designed to deliver comprehensive, yet accessible, coverage of the legal implications and ramifications of doing business internationally, along with the related cultural, political, economic, and ethical issues faced by global business managers. Focusing on trade, the licensing of intellectual property, and foreign direct investment, the authors present the three major forms of doing business in a foreign country through real-world examples, precedent-setting cases, managerial implications, and ethical considerations. From the legal relationship between parties in an international business transaction to managing risk to learning the special challenges of doing business in emerging economies, the 9th Edition helps students understand the most common practices and critical issues in global business law.
- New student-friendly approach: The authors have taken special care to write in a student-friendly way by streamlining the content, clarifying the structure and organization of the material, revising section headers to provide a clearer context, and writing in a more accessible, readable style.
- New cases and examples: Woven throughout the text are new precedent-setting cases and examples of contemporary issues in business law from all parts of the globe. Examples include updates on the European Union, additional information on other systems of regional economic integration, new case law regarding contracts and business documentation, trends in e-commerce and intellectual property, and much more.
- More colorful presentation: This edition is upgrading from a one-color to a two-color design, which makes the book more engaging. Cases and special features are easier to find.
- Cases and Case Questions: Multiple cases in every chapter illustrate the issues and sources of contemporary business law, and every in-text case concludes with a short set of questions for students to test their comprehension as they progress through the chapters.
- End-of-chapter review: Chapter Summaries reinforce students' understanding of the essential topics, and follow-up Questions, Case Problems, and Managerial Implications encourage students to apply what they've learned about the law to business situations.
- Ethics Coverage: Rounding out every chapter, the Ethical Considerations exercises ask students to consider the repercussions of their decisions as future international business leaders.
- Key Terms: Designed to help students streamline their studies, key terms with their corresponding page numbers can now be found in the end-of-chapter content.
2. International Law and the World's Legal Systems.
3. Resolving International Commercial Disputes.
4. The Formation and Performance of Contracts for the Sale of Goods.
5. The Documentary Sale and Terms of Trade.
6. Legal Issues in International Transportation.
7. Bank Collections and Letters of Credit.
8. National Lawmaking Powers and the Regulation of U.S. Trade.
9. The World Trade Organization: Basic Principles.
10. Laws Governing Access to Foreign Markets.
11. Regulating Import Competition and Unfair Trade.
12. Imports, Customs, and Tariff Law.
13. Regulating Exports.
14. North American Free Trade Law.
15. The European Union.
16. International Marketing and Consumer Law.
17. Protecting and Licensing Intellectual Property.
18. The Legal Environment of Foreign Direct Investment.
19. Employment and Immigration Law.
20. Environmental Law.
21. Regulating the Competitive Environment.
"I have used the Shaffer textbook for many years and believe it is the best college-level textbook on international business law. It is well-written, authoritative, and duly rigorous."
"The chapters begin with sufficiently basic material and build from there. It's very useful to have key terms highlighted and paginated at the end the chapter."
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access
Digital Video Library Instant Access Code
The Digital Library offers more than 90 videos and helps you link your everyday experiences to legal ideas, spark classroom discussion, and reinforce core concepts. The videos are available with MindTap, CengageNOW™, CourseMate, and on http://www.cengage.com/blaw/dvl.