Request for consultation
Larson IS student success. INTERMEDIATE ALGEBRA owes its success to the hallmark features for which the Larson team is known: learning by example, a straightforward and accessible writing style, emphasis on visualization through the use of graphs to reinforce algebraic and numeric solutions and to interpret data, and comprehensive exercise sets. These pedagogical features are carefully coordinated to ensure that students are better able to make connections between mathematical concepts and understand the content. With a bright, appealing design, the new Fifth Edition builds on the Larson tradition of guided learning by incorporating a comprehensive range of student success materials to help develop students' proficiency and conceptual understanding of algebra. The text also continues coverage and integration of geometry in examples and exercises.
- Emphasis on study skills and self-responsibility--Each chapter opener presents a study skill essential to success in mathematics, followed by a Smart Study Strategy that offers concrete ways that students can help themselves with the skill. These chapter openers were written by noted study skills expert, Kimberly Nolting. Quotes from real students who have successfully used the strategy appear in It Worked for Me! Later in the chapter, a Smart Study Strategy note points out an appropriate time to use the strategy.
- Concept Checks--Each exercise set is preceded by four non-computational exercises that check students' understanding of the main concepts of the section. These exercises could be completed in class to make sure that students are ready to start the exercise set.
- Checkpoints--Each example is followed by a checkpoint exercise. After working through an example, students can try the checkpoint exercise in the exercise set to check their understanding of the concepts presented in the example.
- Interactive chapter summaries--The What Did You Learn? section at the end of each chapter has been reorganized and expanded to promote interactivity and better help students prepare for exams. The Plan for Test Success provides a place for students to actively plan their studying for a test; it also includes a checklist of things to review. Students can check off chapter Key Terms and Key Concepts as they are reviewed. A space to record assignments for each section of the chapter is also provided.
- Cumulative review exercises--Each exercise set (except those in Chapter 1) is followed by exercises that cover concepts from previous sections. This serves as a review for students and also helps them connect old concepts with new concepts.
- Plentiful exercises and tests--Graded exercise sets are grouped into three categories, offering a diversity of computational, conceptual, and applied problems to accommodate many learning styles. Detailed solutions to odd-numbered exercises are in the Student Solutions Guide; answers to odd-numbered exercises are in the back of the text.
- Chapter-ending Review Exercises contain skill-building and application exercises, grouped by learning objectives. Mid-chapter quizzes, chapter tests, and cumulative tests provide additional opportunities to practice skills.
- In-text learning aids--Definitions and rules are highlighted, Study Tips offer suggestions for studying algebra and point out common errors, and Technology Tips point out where the use of a graphing calculator is helpful in visualizing concepts and solving the problem.
- Emphasis on learning objectives and outcomes--Every section begins with a list of learning objectives called What You Should Learn. Each objective is restated in the margin at the point where it is covered. Why Should You Learn It provides a motivational explanation for learning the given objectives.
- Detailed, titled examples to develop concepts--Each example has been carefully chosen to illustrate a particular mathematical concept or problem-solving technique. The examples cover a wide variety of problems and are titled for easy reference. Many include detailed, step-by-step solutions with side comments that explain the key steps of the solution process.
- Real-world applications--Identified by an icon, a wide variety of real-life applications are integrated throughout the text in examples and exercises, demonstrating the relevance of algebra in the real world. Many of the applications use current, real data.
- Straightforward problem-solving approach--The text provides many opportunities for students to sharpen problem-solving skills. In both the examples and the exercises, students are asked to apply verbal, numerical, analytical, and graphical approaches to problem solving. The authors' five-step strategy for solving applied problems begins with constructing a verbal model and ends with checking the answer.
The Real Number System. Operations with Real Numbers. Properties of Real Numbers. Mid-Chapter Quiz. Algebraic Expressions. Constructing Algebraic Expressions.
2. LINEAR EQUATIONS AND INEQUALITIES.
Linear Equations. Linear Equations and Problem Solving. Business and Scientific Problems. Mid-Chapter Quiz. Linear Inequalities. Absolute Value Equations and Inequalities.
3. GRAPHS AND FUNCTIONS.
The Rectangular Coordinate System. Graphs of Equations. Slope and Graphs of Linear Equations. Equations of Lines. Mid-Chapter Quiz. Graphs of Linear Inequalities. Relations and Functions. Graphs of Functions.
4. SYSTEMS OF EQUATIONS AND INEQUALITIES.
Systems of Equations. Linear Systems in Two Variables. Linear Systems in Three Variables. Mid-Chapter Quiz. Matrices and Linear Systems. Determinants and Linear Systems. Systems of Linear Inequalities.
5. POLYNOMIALS AND FACTORING.
Integer Exponents and Scientific Notation. Adding and Subtracting Polynomials. Multiplying Polynomials. Mid-Chapter Quiz. Factoring By Grouping and Special Forms. Factoring Trinomials. Solving Polynomial Equations by Factoring.
6. RATIONAL EXPRESSIONS, EQUATIONS, AND FUNCTIONS.
Rational Expressions and Functions. Multiplying and Dividing Rational Expressions. Adding and Subtracting Rational Expressions. Complex Fractions. Mid-Chapter Quiz. Dividing Polynomials and Synthetic Division. Solving Rational Equations. Applications and Variation.
7. RADICALS AND COMPLEX NUMBERS.
Radicals and Rational Exponents. Simplifying Radical Expressions. Adding and Subtracting Radical Expressions. Mid-Chapter Quiz. Multiplying and Dividing Radical Expressions. Radical Equations and Applications. Complex Numbers.
8. QUADRATIC EQUATIONS, FUNCTIONS, AND INEQUALITIES.
Solving Quadratic Equations: Factoring and Special Form. Completing the Square. The Quadratic Formula. Mid-Chapter Quiz. Graphs of Quadratic Functions. Applications of Quadratic Equations. Quadratic and Rational Inequalities.
9. EXPONENTIAL AND LOGARITHMIC FUNCTIONS.
Exponential Functions. Composite and Inverse Functions. Logarithmic Functions. Mid-Chapter Quiz. Properties of Logarithms. Solving Exponential and Logarithmic Equations. Applications.
Circles and Parabolas. Ellipses. Mid-Chapter Quiz. Hyperbolas. Solving Nonlinear Systems of Equations.
11. SEQUENCES, SERIES AND THE BINOMIAL THEOREM.
Sequences and Series. Arithmetic Sequences. Mid-Chapter Quiz. Geometric Sequences and Series. The Binomial Theorem.
Appendix A: Introduction to Graphing Calculators. Appendix B: Further Concepts in Geometry (Web). Appendix C: Further Concepts in Statistics (Web). Appendix D: Introduction to Logic (Web). Appendix E: Counting Principles (Web). Appendix F: Probability (Web).
ANSWERS TO ODD-NUMBERED EXERCISES, QUIZZES, AND TESTS.
INDEX OF APPLICATIONS.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Intermediate Algebra: Algebra Within Reach, 6th: PowerLecture CD-ROM with ExamView Test Generator
Complete Solutions Manual
By Gerry Fitch, Louisiana State University, this manual is available online and includes Chapter and Final Exam test forms with answer keys, individual test items and answers for chapters 1-10 and notes to instructors including tips and strategies on student assessment, cooperative learning, classroom management, study skills, and problem solving.
The Student Workbook, which contains all of the Assessments, Activities, and Worksheets from the Instructor's Resource Binder, is used for classroom discussions, in-class activities, and group work.
Student Solutions Manual
This guide includes detailed ,step-by-step solutions to all odd-numbered exercises in the section exercise sets and in the review exercises. It also includes detailed step-by-step solutions to all Mid-Chapter Quiz, Chapter Test, and Cumulative Test questions.
Get a head-start! The Student Workbook, which contains all of the Assessments, Activities, and Worksheets from the Instructor's Resource Binder. Use it for classroom discussions, in-class activities, and group work.
Student Solutions Manual
This handy manual contains detailed, step-by-step solutions to all odd-numbered exercises in the section exercise sets and in the review exercises. In addition, it also includes detailed step-by-step solutions to all Mid-Chapter Quiz, Chapter Test, and Cumulative Test questions.