Request for consultation
Over 450 data-based studies and years of field testing attest to the effectiveness of the Microskills model in INTENTIONAL INTERVIEWING AND COUNSELING: FACILITATING CLIENT DEVELOPMENT IN A MULTICULTURAL SOCIETY, 8th Edition. This hallmark text enables students of many backgrounds to master basic skills in a step-by-step fashion, thereby rapidly empowering them to use listening and influencing skills as they conduct full interviews. Along the way, students are challenged to re-evaluate their current behaviors and perceptions. As a result, they gain valuable insight about themselves, their strengths, and the areas where they can develop further. By the time they finish reading the text, students will have the ability to adapt their skills to address both individual and multicultural uniqueness, conduct interviews using five different theoretical approaches, and be well on their way to developing a personalized style and theory of interviewing and counseling that matches their own aptitudes and affinities. Available with InfoTrac® Student Collections http://gocengage.com/infotrac.
- A new chapter on self-disclosure and feedback (Chapter 12) provides increased coverage of these two skills, with special attention paid to their relationship to empathic understanding and immediacy.
- The book has been revised throughout to reflect recent research findings and developments in the field. For instance, stress management and cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) are more central in this edition. There's also increased integration of cutting edge neuroscience with counseling skills.
- New topics include crisis intervention, using microskills in supervision, intake, trauma, bullying, obesity, stress management, mindfulness, social justice, and termination.
- InfoTrac® Student Collections are specialized databases expertly drawn from the Gale Academic One library. Each InfoTrac® Student Collection enhances the student learning experience in the specific course area related to the product. These specialized databases allow access to hundreds of scholarly and popular publications - all reliable sources - including journals, encyclopedias, and academic reports. Learn more and access at: http://gocengage.com/infotrac.
- Empathy and empathic communication are now centerpieces for the Microskills framework, and are associated with each and every skill.
- Several chapters (Chapter 9 on confrontation, Chapter 10 on focusing, and Chapter 13 on logical consequences, psychoeducation, and directives) are completely rewritten to incorporate current research and practice, and to further promote student understanding.
- Chapter 15, which explores applications of microskills to counseling theories, now covers crisis counseling and counseling/coaching.
- Self-actualization, intentionality, and resilience are clarified as goals for the interview. A new section focuses on client outcomes that counselors like to see as a result of the interview.
- Five new interview example transcripts with process comments illustrate how skills actually work in an interview.
- CourseMate, the book's website, has been updated with new video demonstrations. The many case studies and interactive video-based exercises provide important practice and further information that help students build competence.
- INTENTIONAL INTERVIEWING AND COUNSELING: FACILITATING CLIENT DEVELOPMENT IN A MULTICULTURAL SOCIETY, 8th Edition, with its Microskills model, is the most thoroughly researched and classroom-tested counseling skills text available. In this edition, every chapter has been reviewed to further enhance clarity and relevance, and to integrate updated research findings.
- The popular five-stage interview structure--relationship, story and strengths, goals, restory, and action--integrates these concepts and helps students understand and utilize microskills more effectively. The model also makes is easier for students to generalize the five stages to multiple theories and practices in human relations, social work, counseling, and psychotherapy.
- Integration of cutting-edge neuroscience includes discussion of the specific impact of neuroscience on interviewing practice. An appendix describes additional practical implications.
- The book's interactive, dialogical view of the interview illustrates how the language and brain of both counselor and client are changed throughout the process. This coverage helps students understand the concepts of consciousness, short-term memory, and how their skills can help the client move new thoughts, feelings, and behaviors to long-term memory.
- Readers are shown, step by step, how to conduct effective motivational interviewing counseling, assertiveness-training sessions, decisional interviews, and person-centered interviews.
- The text helps students master listening and influencing skills, integrate these skills into full interviews, and develop beginning mastery of various approaches to theory. It also illustrates how students can sharpen their observation skills and use those techniques for self-observation and client observation.
- Ethics and multicultural understanding form the foundation of the Microskills hierarchy and students are encouraged to consider these issues throughout the text. Wellness and positive psychology are added to this foundation, including specifics for conducting a wellness assessment.
- The "Portfolio of Competencies" provides students with a wide variety of exercises and assessment systems, helping them to examine themselves and their orientation to theory and practice.
- Each chapter features a sample interview with detailed process notes, research boxes that show the background of important skills, case studies and examples, and boxes and tables that outline key messages in more detail.
- Multicultural issues and competencies are constantly emphasized in this text, the first to recognize cultural differences in the counseling process.
Section I: The Foundations of Counseling and Psychotherapy.
1. Toward Intentional Interviewing, Counseling, and Psychotherapy.
2. Ethics, Multicultural Competence, and the Positive Psychology and Wellness Approach.
3. Attending Behavior and Empathy.
4. Observation Skills
Section II: The Basic Listening Sequence: How to Organize a Session.
5. Questions: Opening Communication.
6. Encouraging, Paraphrasing, and Summarizing: Key Skills of Active Listening.
7. Reflecting Feelings: A Foundation of Client Experience.
8. How to Conduct a Five-Stage Counseling Session Using Only Listening Skills.
Section III: Focusing and Empathic Confrontation: Neuroscience, Memory, and the Influencing Skills.
9. Focusing the Counseling Session: Exploring the Story From Multiple Perspectives
10. Empathic Confrontation and the Creative New: Identifying and Challenging Client Conflict
Section IV: Interpersonal Influencing Skills for Creative Change
11. Reflection of Meaning and Interpretation/Reframe: Helping Clients Restory Their Lives.
12. Self-Disclosure and Feedback: Immediacy and Genuineness in Counseling and Therapy
13. Concrete Action Strategies for Client Change: Logical Consequences, Instruction/Psychedocation, Stress Management, and Therapeutic Lifestyle Changes
Section V: Skill Integration, Theory Into Practice, and Determining Personal Style
14. Skill Integration, Decision Counseling, Treatment Planning, and Relapse Prevention
15. How to use Microskills and the Five Stages With Theories of Counseling and Psychotherapy
16. Determining Personal Style and Future Theoretical/Practical Integration.
Appendix A: The Ivey Taxonomy: Definitions and Predicted Results.
Appendix B: The Family Genogram
Appendix C: Counseling, Neuroscience, and Microskills.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Online Instructor's Manual
This detailed manual provides sample syllabi, course guidelines, in-class exercises, and chapter objectives to assist instructors in teaching the course.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to: import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.