Request for consultation
INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY: THE LAW OF TRADEMARKS, COPYRIGHTS, PATENTS, AND TRADE SECRETS, Fourth Edition, is a thorough guide to the four fields of intellectual property law: trademarks, copyrights, patents, and trade secrets. This comprehensive, yet reader-friendly text helps aspiring and practicing paralegals alike master the complexities of modern intellectual property law, including topics such as registration procedures, duration of rights, protection from infringement, current concerns in each field, and international trends and developments. Now updated in a new Fourth Edition, this wide-ranging text features coverage of cutting-edge issues such as technological innovations, intellectual property in the digital age, the role of the Internet, and evolving business law. In addition to an in-depth overview of each field, the text features abundant practical material, such as sample agreements, forms, checklists of paralegal tasks, charts, citations, statutes, realistic case studies, excerpts of real cases, and interesting trivia to capture students' interest and provide valuable insights into real-world paralegal practice. Additional features useful for paralegal students and professionals include references to intellectual property websites, questions to encourage targeted Internet research, Case Illustrations, Case Study and Activities, Role of Paralegal element, and "Ethics Edge" boxes that explore ethical issues related to chapter content.
- The author has thoroughly updated the text with new information on important current topics in each field, including the in-depth discussion on the Leahy-Smith America Invents Act, which was enacted in September 2011. This is the most significant patent reform act in 60 years. Other topics that have been updated include bankruptcy and trademark licenses, social networks and cybersquatting, the Madrid Protocol, sound recording owners' public performance rights, jailbreaking of iPhones, the Copyright Office's eCo system, new developments in copyright piracy, rejection of the Google Books settlement, Google Patent Search, "false marking," patent "trolls," the "Patent Prosecution Highway," and unitary patents for Europe.
- The Fourth Edition includes new material on recent cases and legislation paralegals need to know, including Honda Motor Co. v. Winkelmann, In re Bose; Tiffany v. eBay; Viacom International Inc. v. YouTube, Inc.; Warner Brothers Entertainment Inc. v. RDR Books; Bilski v. Kappos; the Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Act ("ACTA"), the PRO-IP Act, the proposed Protect IP Act, and the proposed Patent Reform Act.
- The author has reviewed and revised the case studies that conclude each chapter to ensure a more simplified and streamlined presentation, promoting easier understanding and more effective analysis for students.
- The text includes numerous new exercises related to calendars and dockets, giving students ample opportunities to hone these essential skills and ensure they can correctly calculate intellectual property dates.
- New Discussion Questions, Internet Resource Questions, Trivia features, Case Studies and Activities , and Case Illustrations (briefs of intellectual property-related cases) to conclude each chapter help students review what they have learned, apply their knowledge and skills in practical ways, and master course material more readily.
- Complete, comprehensive appendices feature sample forms, agreements, charts, statutes, and references to state trademark laws and provisions for all 50 states, providing an abundance of useful, real-world tools and material to help students prepare for professional success.
- This thorough, engaging text provides a comprehensive overview of the four fields of intellectual property law—trademarks, copyrights, patents, and trade secrets—including essential concepts, practical tools and examples, and activities to support learning and skill development.
- "Ethics Edge" features in every chapter address ethical issues related to course material, helping students appreciate the complexities and ramifications of the situations they will encounter as working paralegals—and reinforcing the importance of ethical action as a standard of professional practice.
- "Using Internet Resources" features direct students to access intellectual property websites to gain familiarity with common resources used by legal professionals, and to look up current information on ongoing cases, active discussions, and evolving trends.
- Each chapter incorporates multiple class activities, including a realistic case study, questions for group discussion, and trivia questions, all designed to reinforce learning and encourage students to engage with the material for easier mastery.
2. Foundations of Trademark Law.
3. Trademark Selection and Searching.
4. The Trademark Registration Process.
5. Post-Registration Procedures, Trademark Maintenance, and Transfer of Rights to Marks.
6. Inter Partes Proceedings, Infringement, and Dilution.
7. New Developments in Trademark Law.
8. International Trademark Law.
9. Foundations of Copyright Law.
10. The Subject Matter of Copyright.
11. The Rights Afforded by Copyright Law.
12. Copyright Ownership, Transfers, and Duration.
13. Copyright Registration, Searching, and Notice of Copyright.
14. Copyright Infringement.
15. New Developments in Copyright Law and the Semi-Conductor Chip Protection Act.
16. International Copyright Law.
17. Foundations of Patent Law.
18. Patent Searches and Applications.
19. Patent Ownership and Transfer.
20. Patent Infringement.
21. New Developments and International Patent Law.
22. Trade Secrets Law.
23. Unfair Competition.
24. Intellectual Property Audits and Due Diligence Reviews.
"The end-of-chapter resources are excellent."
"Students enjoy reading the Trivia boxes, and the Case Illustrations give students exposure to court opinions and pique their interest to read the entire opinion."
"This text has been very popular with instructors and students because the author has done such a good job of covering all of the major topics in IP in a readable, yet thorough, manner. The balance of theoretical and practical is perfect, given the survey nature of the text."
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Companion Website
Everything you need for your course in one place! This collection of product-specific lecture and class tools is available online via the instructor resource center at www.cengage.com/login. This Instructor’s Companion Website includes an Instructor’s Manual, Test Bank, and PowerPoint lecture slides. Instructors Manual: The 300+ page Instructors Manual includes: Tips on teaching, assignments, and grading; Ideas for supplemental assignments; Sample syllabus for course; Helpful websites for teachers; Chapter-by-chapter Resources; Lecture Notes; Suggested Answers to Case Study and Activities; Using Internet Resources Questions (with answers). Discussion Questions (with answers); Suggested narrative/answers to Putting It Into Words sections; and a Test Bank with than 650 questions in true-false, short answer, and fill-in formats (with answers).
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to import, edit, and manipulate content from the text’s test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.