Request for consultation
The seventh edition of Inquiry Into Physics continues its strong emphasis on the inquiry approach to learning physics. Throughout, students are asked to try things, to discover relationships between physical quantities on their own, and to look for answers in the world around them and not seek them only in books or on the Internet. Some of the pedagogical tools this text utilizes to build conceptual understanding and inquiry-based learning include the Explore It Yourself boxes, Concept Maps integrated throughout each chapter, and periodic Learning Check conceptual quizzes. The text periodically reviews the historical development of physics, which is particularly relevant as context for non-science majors. Simple mathematics is integrated into the text so students can see the practicality of physics and have a means of testing scientific validity.
- NOW AVAILABLE WITH CENGAGE YOUBOOK! This an interactive, easily customizable eBook, delivered via Enhanced WebAssign, lets you personalize the text content to fit your course and connect with your students. Personalize the book by removing and rearranging chapters in the table of contents, tailoring assigned readings that match your syllabus exactly, or editing narrative content in the book by adding a text box or striking out text. The Cengage YouBook also boosts students' experience with the book by letting them highlight text, add their own notes, and insert bookmarks. Animations and videos play right on the page at the point of learning so that they're not speed bumps to reading but true enhancements. Self-check quizzes in the printed textbook come to life with instant grading.
- UPDATED WITH THE LATEST IN THE FIELD. The text has been updated with the most current information on scientific discoveries and achievements, including newly discovered chemical elements, recent advances in particle physics (e.g., current status and results from experiments with the Large Hadron Collider) and cosmology, an expanded discussion of entropy, the latest developments in superconductivity studies, a review of the circumstances and status of the Japanese nuclear disaster of March 2011, and an up-to-date list of Nobel Prize award recipients in physics.
- NATURAL PHENOMENA APPLICATIONS – This new edition uses a broad range of applications of physics principles as seen in natural phenomena such as thunder and lightning storms, rainbows and sundogs, auroras, the greenhouse effect, geomagnetism, and more to better engage non-science majors with real world events they can relate with.
- NEW QUESTIONS AND PROBLEMS – More than 50 new questions and problems in each end-of-chapter provide instructors more flexibility in tailoring assignments to their course needs. "Explore-It-Yourself" application boxes feature clearer instructions and outcomes to better support students studying on their own.
- ENHANCED INSTRUCTOR TOOLS. The multimedia manager CD-ROM/DVD includes an instructor support package that includes lecture presentation resources to aid in course preparation.
- CONCISE, STRUCTURED CONTENTS. With just 12 chapters, INQUIRY INTO PHYSICS, 7th Edition, is 1/3 the size of competing texts, making it perfect for instructors who are looking for a text structured in a traditional "chapter-a-week" format.
- CONCEPT MAPS. Concept Maps in each chapter visually summarize abstract concepts, helping students link key concepts, processes, and systems in an easy-to-follow flowchart format. Between one and three of these maps appear in each chapter. And each chapter opens with a flowchart outlining all of the key concepts to be covered in that chapter, facilitating student review.
- CONCEPT MAP EXERCISES. Mapping It Out! exercises help students use concept-mapping techniques to improve their understanding of important concepts and relationships introduced in each chapter. These exercises ask students to fill in concepts on a pre-existing map skeleton or to create their own maps.
- FULL-COLOR ART PROGRAM. The text's outstanding art program highlights the everyday applicability of physics. Colorful photographs and illustrations allow students to visualize even the most abstract concepts.
- PROLOGUE CHAPTER. A special prologue chapter, entitled "Prologue: Getting Started," covers the application of physics, the scientific method, and measurement. It answers such basic questions as, What is physics?, How does one do physics?, and How does a beginner learn physics? This chapter has been designed to help students immediately see why the study of physics is a useful and stimulating endeavor.
- ENGAGING CHAPTER OPENERS. Each chapter begins with a brief look at a topic of current interest, updated to include such relatable topics as iPods, plasma TVs, sundogs, SmartPaper, and PET scans.
- PERIODIC LEARNING CHECKS. Periodic Learning Checks provide conceptual self-quizzes for students to test their basic comprehension.
- ESSAY TOPICS. Physics Potpourri boxes are self-contained essays on selected topics taken from such disciplines as astronomy, the history of science, and biophysics to better engage non-science majors.
- CHAPTER-ENDING PROFILES. Each chapter ends with a fascinating look at the human side of physics. Called the Physics Family Album, these vignettes trace the lives and work of groundbreaking individuals who discovered and developed the physics concepts presented in the chapter. Exploring the lives of scientists from Aristotle to Murray Gell-Mann, these sections engage readers in the challenges and achievements of physicists throughout history.
- EMPHASIS ON MODERN APPLICATIONS. An emphasis on modern applications of physics to such devices as iPods and iPads, airport metal detectors, in-home smoke detectors, radar 'guns,' plasma TVs, fiber optics probes, PET scanners, lasers, and more engage students and show them the relevance of physics in our daily lives.
- ENHANCED WEBASSIGN. Selected end-of-chapter problems are available in Enhanced WebAssign, the most utilized homework system in physics, allowing you to securely create and administer homework assignments in an interactive online environment. Designed by physicists for physicists, this system is a trusted companion to your teaching.
- INQUIRY-BASED APPROACH. Explore It Yourself boxes encourage students to ask questions, and let them try a hands-on activity--and draw conclusions based on their observations--before proceeding to the textual discussion of the principles of physics involved.
1. The Study of Motion.
2. Newton's Laws.
3. Energy and Conservation Laws.
4. Physics of Matter.
5. Temperature and Heat.
6. Waves and Sound.
8. Electromagnetism and EM Waves.
10. Atomic Physics.
11. Nuclear Physics.
12. Special Relativity and Elementary Particles
Appendix A: Winners of the Nobel Prize in Physics.
Appendix B: Math Review.
Appendix C: Answers.
Glossary of Key Terms and Laws.
Table of Conversion Factors and Other Information.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Contains a variety of resources to aid instructors in preparing and presenting text material in a manner that meets their personal preferences and course needs. The posted Instructor’s Manual presents chapter-by-chapter suggestions and resources to enhance and facilitate learning.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero®, is a flexible, online system that allows you to import, edit, and manipulate content from the text’s test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.