Request for consultation
IT AUDITING is an innovative and cutting edge product, which provides students an understanding of how to audit accounting information systems, including such new and expanded coverage of enterprise systems, fraud and fraud detection topics as continuous online auditing. It ensures a solid background in traditional auditing as well as in the auditing of accounting information systems. Students will gain a true understanding of how these audits take place in the real world.
- An Updated and Reorganized Chapter 1, Auditing, Assurance, and Internal Control, provides an overview of IT audit issues and auditor responsibilities that follow Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX) legislation, the COS) internal control model, and SAS 109.
- Chapters 2, 3, 4, and 5 have been updated and significantly revised to present General Control and audit issues in accordance with SOX and COSO framework as follows:Chapter 2, IT Governance, includes structuring the IT function, disaster recovery planning, and IT outsourcing.Chapter 3, System Security I--Networks and Operating Systems, deals with network and operating system risks, controls, and audit procedures.Chapter 4, System Security II--Data Management Systems, examines database risks, controls, and audit issues.Chapter 5, Systems Development and Program Change Procedures, presents the risks, control and audit procedures related to the system development life cycle.
- A New Chapter 6, Overview of Transaction Processing and Financial Reporting Systems, has been added that provides the foundation for material covered in subsequent chapters pertaining to application controls, tests, of controls, and substantive tests.
- A Revised Chapter 8, CAATTs for Data Extraction and Analysis, now focuses more heavily on the relational database model. Understanding database structures and normalization principles is essential in performing data extraction for substantive tests.
- New Appendix to Chapter 8 has been added to provide students with a comprehensive, accounting-oriented data normalization example. This chapter also introduces ACL, which several subsequent chapters draw upon in performing audit tests.
- Updated Chapter 12, Ethics, Fraud Schemes and Fraud Detection, reflects current auditor responsibilities for detecting fraud. The material has been expanded to address a wider range of fraud techniques.
- The end-of-chapter questions, problems, and cases have been extensively revised and expanded in most chapters.
- COMPUTER CONTROL ISSUES and their impact on both operational efficiency and the auditor's attest responsibility are dealt with thoroughly in this edition.
- A RISK ANALYSIS APPROACH. This text focuses on identifying key threats and describes the audit tests and procedures in the following areas: Operating Systems (mainframes and PCs), Data Management, Systems Development, Electronic Commerce (including networks, EDI and Internet risks), Organizational Structure, Computer Center, and Computer Applications (Revenue and Expenditure cycle).
- COMPUTER AIDED AUDIT TOOLS and TECHNIQUES (CAATTs) are used in today's most cutting edge, modern organizations. These are discussed and illustrated in an easy to understand manner for the student.
2. IT Governance.
3. System Security I--Networks and Operating Systems.
4. System Security II--Data Management.
5. Systems Development and Program Change Procedures.
6. Overview of Transaction Processing and financial Reporting Systems.
7. Computer-Assisted Audit Tools and Techniques.
8. CAATTs for Data Extraction and Analysis.
9. Application Controls and Substantive Testing I--The Revenue Cycle.
10. Application Controls and Substantive Testing II--The Expenditure Cycle.
11. Enterprise Resource Planning Systems.
12. Ethics, Fraud Schemes and Fraud Detection.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Companion Website
Save time with the important resources you need, instantly accessible on the Web, with the helpful Instructor's Companion website. You'll find the Solutions Manual, Test Bank in Microsoft® Word, and PowerPoint® slides, all passwords protected and ready for quick download as you need them.