Request for consultation
Discover the information most important for today's successful HR professional with the practical HR concepts and proven HR practices highlighted in HUMAN RESOURCE MANAGEMENT: ESSENTIAL PERSPECTIVES, 6th Edition. Recognized authors Robert Mathis and John Jackson have condensed the best from their market-leading HUMAN RESOURCE MANAGEMENT, 13th Edition, to bring you a concise essentials text that's easy to use and an economical choice. This edition reviews today's most important laws and regulations and addresses the information most often used by human resource professionals. The authors focus on the coverage most important for students preparing for HR certification exams with a solid introduction to HR concepts and practices that are applicable for practicing HR professionals in numerous industries. Chapter openers place concepts in a strong managerial context, clearly highlighting the importance and impact of the principles students are learning. Timely Internet resources and additional readings offer clear guidelines for those interested in further HR study. Focus on the best in human resource management with HUMAN RESOURCE MANAGEMENT: ESSENTIAL PERSPECTIVES, 6th Edition.
- NEW: Each chapter includes a new "HR - Meeting Management Challenges" opener to introduce the chapter.
- NEW: Chapter 1 is reorganized to improve the flow of topics, with early coverage of organizational coverage and ethics, and the addition of coverage of the effects of the recession on jobs.
- NEW: EEO and Diversity (previously chapter 3) is moved up as chapter 2, and reorganized with diversity issues covered earlier in the chapter, and with new sections on Nepotism, romance in the workplace, and genetic bias regulation.
- NEW: The previous edition's chapter 2 is now chapter 3, and includes an expanded section on job satisfaction, employee turnover is covered earlier in the chapter, a new section on HR planning in introduced to cover assessment of the internal and external workforce, and planning/forecasting HR supply and demand.
- NEW: Chapter 4 on Training and Talent Management includes new sections on Planning for Training and on Planning for Global Strategies, and an expanded section on talent management.
- NEW: Chapter 7 is re-titled as Total Rewards and Compensation, and includes new sections on pay secrecy, statistical analysis, and competency-based pay.
- NEW: Chapter 8 is revised to include expanded coverage of sales compensation, expanded sections on Benefits Plan Design and on Increases in Health Benefit Costs, a new section on mini-medical plans, and an expanded section on Pension Plan Concepts.
- NEW: Chapter 9's section on The Current State of Health, Safely, and Security is updated to include employers' use of EPLI and mandatory arbitration, and a section on Absenteeism is added to this chapter.
- Each chapter has been brought up to date on any changes in the HR research or the law that has transpired since the previous edition.
- CHAPTER OPENERS PROVIDE IMPORTANT MANAGEMENT PERSPECTIVES: Introduce each chapter's concepts and applications with new chapter openers, "Meeting Management Challenges," that immediately capture students' attention and provide an intriguing managerial backdrop for the chapter content that follows. Students clearly see the big picture of human resource issues at work in organizations.
- CONTENT COVERS TODAY'S MOST IMPORTANT HRM TOPICS: The most current HR content is integrated throughout this edition with a focus on the most important topics in HRM today, including the recent recession and its impact on HR and jobs, immigration and the diverse workforce, talent management, total rewards, risk management, and workforce demographic changes.
- STREAMLINED INSTRUCTOR'S MANUAL PROVIDES ADDITIONAL FOCUSED SUPPORT: Immediately find the tools and support you need as this edition's Instructor's Manual focuses on the resources most important for today's busy instructor. Streamlined outlines, additional discussion material, and proven teaching tips for each chapter make this resource more valuable than ever before.
- STREAMLINED CONTENT REMAINS PRACTICAL AND COMPLETE: Expertly condensed to less than 300 pages, this edition is briefer than most HR texts but remains practical in emphasis and complete in coverage rather than taking a heavily academic approach or covering only specific functional areas. This overview of HR management is ideal for both HR practitioners and traditional students.
- SOLID ORGANIZATION APPLIES TO ALMOST ANY INDUSTRY: The logical format within this essentials text presents timely HR information that is immediately applicable to a variety of today's industries and professional organizations.
- CLEAR GUIDANCE ENCOURAGES ADDITIONAL HR STUDY: Additional information, timely Internet references, and updated readings in clear notations throughout the text direct students to the best and latest sources for additional study, making it easy for readers to further their HR knowledge.
- LATEST RELIABLE RESEARCH PREPARES STUDENTS FOR PROFESSIONAL CERTIFICATION AND ON-THE-JOB SUCCESS: This edition's authoritative, fully documented research approach helps students effectively prepare for professional HR certification and equips them with the knowledge they need to excel on the job.
- INTERNATIONAL EMPHASIS PREPARES STUDENTS FOR WORLDWIDE PRACTICE: This condensed view of HR management provides a valuable resource for managers worldwide, preparing current and future HR professionals for U.S. HR management practices from other countries.
2. Equal Employment Opportunity and Diversity.
3. Individuals/HR Planning/Job Analysis.
4. Staffing: Recruiting and Selection.
5. Training and Talent Management.
6. Performance Management and Appraisal.
7. Total Rewards and Compensation.
8. Variable Pay and Benefits.
9. Risk Management and Employee Relations.
10. Union/Management Relations.
APPENDIX A: Internet Resources.
APPENDIX B: Major Federal Equal Employment Opportunity Laws and Regulations.
APPENDIX C: Sample Application Form.
APPENDIX D: Guidelines to Lawful and Unlawful Pre-employment Inquiries.
APPENDIX E: Questions Commonly Asked in Selection Interviews.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Companion Website