Request for consultation
HUMAN HEREDITY engages non-Biology majors with concepts and examples that they can apply to themselves, their families, and their work environment. Author Michael Cummings uses clear, concise language to explain the origin, nature, and amount of genetic diversity present in the human population and how that diversity has been shaped by natural selection. The artwork and accompanying digital resources support visual learners by teaching rather than merely illustrating the ideas under discussion. Examining the social, cultural, and ethical implications associated with the use of genetic technology, Cummings prepares students to become well-informed consumers of genetic-based health care services or providers of health care services. Available with InfoTrac® Student Collections http://gocengage.com/infotrac.
- NEW! The text has been revised and updated throughout to reflect the latest developments of human genetics.
- InfoTrac® Student Collections are specialized databases expertly drawn from the Gale Academic One library. Each InfoTrac® Student Collection enhances the student learning experience in the specific course area related to the product. These specialized databases allow access to hundreds of scholarly and popular publications - all reliable sources - including journals, encyclopedias, and academic reports. Learn more and access at: http://gocengage.com/infotrac.
- NEW! New case studies demonstrate the relevance of human heredity to students. These include new case studies in Chapters 1, 2, 3, 4, 7, 8, 11, and 13.
- NEW! Chapter 11, Genome Alterations: Mutation and Epigenetics, has been revised extensively and includes a new section, Epigenetic Changes Involves Alterations to the Genome.
- "Exploring Genetics" boxes and highlight applications of concepts, present the latest findings, and point out controversial ideas without interrupting the flow of the text.
- "The Genetic Revolution" sections emphasize the past, present, and future impact of genetic technology on the daily lives of people, from genetic testing at birth to the future of cancer therapy.
- "Genetics in Practice" case studies at the end of the chapter are tied to the chapter introduction and illustrate the impact of genetics in society.
- Relevant chapter opening case studies motivate the study of the chapter and encourage students to think seriously about genetic issues and concerns.
- The accessible writing style presents complex topics and important concepts with great clarity and precise logic. The on-page running glossary provides immediate support with key definitions.
2. Cells and Cell Division.
3. Transmission of Genes from Generation to Generation.
4. Pedigree Analysis in Human Genetics.
5. The Inheritance of Complex Traits.
6. Cytogenetics: Karyotypes and Chromosome Aberrations.
7. Development and Sex Determination.
8. The Structure, Replication, and Chromosomal Organization of DNA.
9. Gene Expression and Gene Regulation.
10. From Proteins to Phenotypes.
11. Genome Alterations: Mutation and Epigenetics.
12. Genes and Cancer.
13. An Introduction to Genetic Technology.
14. Biotechnology and Society.
15. Genomes and Genomics.
16. Reproductive Technology, Genetic Testing, and Gene Therapy.
17. Genes and the Immune System.
18. Genetics of Behavior.
19. Population Genetics and Human Evolution.
Appendix: Answers to Selected Questions and Problems.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Companion Web Site
Everything you need for your course in one place! This collection of book-specific lecture and class tools is available online via www.cengage.com/login. Access and download PowerPoint presentations, images, instructor’s manual, videos, and more.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero is a flexible, online system that allows you to: author, edit, and manage test bank content from multiple Cengage Learning solutions create multiple test versions in an instant deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom or wherever you want.