Request for consultation
Now it its fourth edition, HUMAN DISEASES has been updated and expanded to include the cutting-edge topics and features students need today. This best-selling pathophysiology text first delivers basic anatomy and physiology in a reader-friendly manner, then explores the diseases and disorders health care professionals see and treat most. Intuitively organized, chapters present each disease’s description, etiology, symptoms, diagnosis, treatment, and prevention. Readings also incorporate contemporary issues in health care, including the impending ICD-10 switchover, pharmacology concerns, herbal and non-traditional remedies, new research findings, and current statistics. Designed to simplify pathology, HUMAN DISEASES, 4th Edition lightens heavy concepts with thought-provoking vignettes and cases, highlighted features, colorful photography and illustrations, and an unmatched variety of interactive learning and streamlined course preparation tools.
- “Glimpse of the Future” and “Complementary and Alternative Therapy” features discuss new and unconventional treatments.
- Expanded Photography: Improved and added color photos help make abstract descriptions of diseases and disorders more tangible for readers.
- Modern Medicine: Critical updates to the 4th Edition of HUMAN DISEASES reflect the latest diagnostic testing, new and emerging diseases, current statistics, and integration of pharmacology content into the readings.
- New “Consider This….” feature added to each chapter addresses new and interesting facts for readers to ponder and apply to their own health care careers.
- New eLearning Tools: Available interactive tools designed especially to support the text include an eBook format, as well as CourseMate.
- “Healthy Highlights” throughout include tips for health promotion and disease prevention, while case studies present real-life scenarios in health care settings.
- Clear and Concise Artwork: Meticulous, full-color illustrations and photographs depict body systems and the impacts of disease to help learners better comprehend important material.
- Simplified Instruction: The available Instructor Resource CD-ROM streamlines course preparation with a computerized testbank and Instructor's Manual, as well as PowerPoint® slides that coordinate with textbook chapters.
- Integrated Focus: Chapter readings integrate pharmacology.
1. Introduction to Human Diseases
2. Mechanisms of Disease.
4. Inflammation and Infection.
UNIT II: COMMON DISEASES AND DISORDERS OF BODY SYSTEMS.
5. Immune System Diseases and Disorders.
6. Musculoskeletal System Diseases and Disorders.
7. Blood and Blood-Forming Organ Diseases and Disorders.
8. Cardiovascular System Diseases and Disorders.
9. Respiratory System Diseases and Disorders.
10. Lymphatic System Diseases and Disorders.
11. Digestive System Diseases and Disorders.
12. Liver, Gallbladder, and Pancreatic Diseases and Disorders
13. Urinary System Diseases and Disorders.
14. Endocrine System Diseases and Disorders.
15. Nervous System Diseases and Disorders.
16. Eye and Ear Diseases and Disorders.
17. Reproductive System Diseases and Disorders.
18. Integumentary System Diseases and Disorders.
UNIT III: GENETIC/DEVELOPMENTAL, CHILDHOOD, AND MENTAL HEALTH DISEASES AND DISORDERS.
19. Genetic and Developmental Diseases and Disorders.
20. Childhood Diseases and Disorders.
21. Mental Health Diseases and Disorders.
“Overall, I like this book. It has qualities that I have been looking for such as: inclusion of medical terminology explanations, pharmacology, and complementary therapies.” - Deborah Cipale RN, MSN, Des Moines Area Community College
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.
Instructor's Companion Website
Everything you need for your course in one place! This collection of product-specific lecture and class tools is available online via the instructor resource center at www.cengage.com/login. You'll be able to access and download materials such as PowerPoint® presentations, images, instructor's manual, videos, and more.
The study guide includes key learning objectives for each chapter, outlines of key sections, self-test questions, and sets of problems similar to those in the text to help you succeed in the course.