Request for consultation
Created by the continuous feedback of a "student-tested, faculty-approved" process, HDEV4 traces development from infancy through late adulthood through a visually-appealing print component complete with tear-out review cards for students and class prep cards for instructors. Additionally, HDEV4 includes an online study center offering with CourseMate that includes an eBook and set of interactive digital tools to address multiple-learning styles, all at a value-based price. HDEV4 was developed with considerable input from focus groups, surveys, and conversations with students and instructors resulting in high-interest and comprehensive content, current examples, and a personal tone that accommodates sociology students' lifestyles and is proven to increase retention and enhance outcomes.
- Hundreds of new references from the years 2012, 2013, and 2014 assure that the text is current. The contents of the fourth edition have also been fine-tuned to reflect advances in the field and readers' daily lives. Here are some examples:
- Chapter 10 revises coverage of bullying, and of ways in which parents can get children with school refusal back into school.
- Chapter 11 now covers the female athletic triad, and revises and updates coverage of substance use and substance use disorders among adolescents.
- Chapter 12 revises and clarifies the topic of sexual identity among adolescents, and revises coverage of the effects of sex hormones on sexual orientation.
- Chapter 13 updates substance use and abuse in early adulthood.
- Chapter 14 updates the intersections of sexual attraction and the color red; and the topics of gay marriage and cohabitation.
- Chapter 15 updates the topic of sexual dysfunctions beginning in middle adulthood.
- Chapter 17 updates coverage of life expectancy in the United States and around the world; the topic of osteoporosis; and causes of death among U.S. adults aged 65 and older.
- Chapter 18 revises coverage of successful aging.
- CourseMate for HDEV4 has been ENHANCED with a practice quiz generator to help your students prepare for tests. This new practice quiz provides a ten question quick randomly drawn from a large bank of questions, so students never get the same quiz twice. Also, a variety of NEW trackable activities provides your students the opportunity to expand their knowledge with higher-level activities, while providing you easy access to data and reports on their progress and where they need more help through Engagement Tracker.
- Chapters 1 and 11 present evidence that females are as capable of males of performing in the so-called STEM fields (science, technology, engineering, and math).
- Chapter 2 updates information on chromosomal and genetic abnormalities, and on sex selection by means of selective abortion in some developing countries.
- Chapter 3 updates "Save the Children's" surveys of the risk of maternal death during pregnancy and delivery, and the under-5 mortality rate of children born in countries throughout the world; and the various kinds of postpartum depression.
- Chapter 4 updates the growth charts for ages 0–2; and information of the benefits of breast feeding versus bottle feeding.
- Chapter 7 revises coverage of nutritional needs in early childhood.
- Chapter 8 updates the effects of media violence on children, and the effects of sex hormones of stereotypical feminine and masculine behavior.
- Chapter 9 updates coverage of overweight in children, of socioeconomic and ethnic differences in IQ, and of foreign languages spoken in the homes of children in the United States.
2. Heredity & Prenatal Development.
3. Birth and the Newborn Baby: In the New World.
4. Infancy: Physical Development.
5. Infancy: Cognitive Development.
6. Infancy: Social and Emotional Development.
7. Early Childhood: Physical and Cognitive Development.
8. Early Childhood: Social and Emotional Development.
9. Middle Childhood: Physical and Cognitive Development.
10. Middle Childhood: Social and Emotional Development.
11. Adolescence: Physical and Cognitive Development.
12. Adolescence: Social and Emotional Development.
13. Early Adulthood: Physical and Cognitive Development.
14. Early Adulthood: Social and Emotional Development.
15. Middle Adulthood: Physical and Cognitive Development.
16. Middle Adulthood: Social and Emotional Development.
17. Late Adulthood: Physical and Emotional Development.
18. Late Adulthood: Social and Emotional Development.
19. Life's Final Chapter.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor Companion Website
Everything you need for your course in one place! This collection of book-specific lecture and class tools is available online via www.cengage.com/login. Access and download PowerPoint presentations, images, instructor’s manual, and more.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to: import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want. Every question has undergone a series of accuracy checks and anti-piracy reviews, as well as a multi-point inspection to remove weak question options (e.g. all answers are correct), sharpen ambiguous questions, and ensure balanced coverage of major course concepts, difficulty levels, and Bloom’s Taxonomy. The test bank questions form the basis for the assessments in the HDEV Online product, and are different from the Practice Quizzes available for students.