Request for consultation
Created through a student-tested, faculty-approved review process, HDEV is an extremely concise, visually appealing new text that traces development from infancy through late adulthood without any delays or distractions. Spencer Rathus's trademark reader-friendly, effective approach is evident throughout. This brief, affordable paperback includes downloadable flashcards that allow students to study wherever they are, whenever they have time. Designed for today's students in every detail, this unique solution was developed through conversations, interviews, surveys, instructor reviews, and input from nearly 150 students and faculty members like you. From its abbreviated, no-nonsense title to its engaging, effective content, HDEV ushers in a groundbreaking new genre of life-span development texts that's perfect for modern learners.
- Expanded coverage of key topics, including the impact of child abuse and neglect on development, gender roles and stereotypes, emerging adulthood, and retirement planning.
- New topics are discussed throughout. Chapter 3 ("Birth and the Newborn Baby: In the New World") introduces hypnosis and biofeedback as alternatives to anesthesia in childbirth; Chapter 5 ("Infancy: Cognitive Development") provides a new discussion on mirror neurons and their role in observational learning and language acquisition; Chapter 11 ("Adolescence: Physical and Cognitive Development") provides a new discussion on schools and adolescent nutrition; and many more!
- New data reflect the most recent discoveries in the field, such as the rising rate of caesarean section births in the United States, masturbation in adolescence, trends regarding marriage and cohabitation, and hospice care.
- The hallmark of HDEV is a contemporary magazine-style design perfect for visual learners. Photos and graphics bring the material to life, and headers help readers quickly identify key concepts and their relationships. A broad array of highly effective, student- and faculty-tested teaching and learning tools accompanies the book.
- Spencer Rathus provides concise coverage of human development. Streamlined chapters, with an average length of just 17-20 pages, make it easy for students to break reading into manageable sections.
- Truth or Fiction statements at the beginning of each chapter entice and encourage students to delve into the chapter content by challenging folklore and common sense beliefs. Truth or Fiction Revisited sections close the loop on the issues raised. Learning Objectives in each chapter opener focus study and keep students on track. Occasional, brief feature boxes present high interest applied topics. Other than this targeted pedagogy, the book is free of clutter that can distract students.
- Every 4LTR Press solution comes complete with an engaging print textbook, tear-out review cards, an interactive digital solution (CourseMate), and an eBook, all of which were directly influenced from student focus groups and surveys and from interviews with nearly 150 faculty and students.
- Shorter, comprehensive chapters in a modern design present content in a more engaging and accessible format without minimizing coverage for your course.
- Tear-Out Review Cards at the back of the Student Edition provide students a portable study tool containing all of the pertinent information for class preparation.
- Instructor Prep Cards at the back of the Instructor's Edition make preparation simple with detachable cards for each chapter, offering a quick map of chapter content, a list of chapter learning objectives, key terms, and suggested assignments, classroom activities, and discussion questions to help you organize chapter content efficiently.
- Every 4LTR Press solution comes with CourseMate, the interactive digital component that offers a full suite of unique learning tools that appeal to different learning styles. Quizzes, interactive eBook, flashcards, games, and more are only a click away.
- HDEV3 has a refreshed art program to better illustrate concepts, and references and examples have been updated to be as current as possible.
2. Heredity & Prenatal Development.
3. Birth and the Newborn Baby: In the New World.
4. Infancy: Physical Development.
5. Infancy: Cognitive Development.
6. Infancy: Social and Emotional Development.
7. Early Childhood: Physical and Cognitive Development.
8. Early Childhood: Social and Emotional Development.
9. Middle Childhood: Physical and Cognitive Development.
10. Middle Childhood: Social and Emotional Development.
11. Adolescence: Physical and Cognitive Development.
12. Adolescence: Social and Emotional Development.
13. Early Adulthood: Physical and Cognitive Development.
14. Early Adulthood: Social and Emotional Development.
15. Middle Adulthood: Physical and Cognitive Development.
16. Middle Adulthood: Social and Emotional Development.
17. Late Adulthood: Physical and Emotional Development.
18. Late Adulthood: Social and Emotional Development.
19. Life's Final Chapter.
"The content is well-written and it is appropriate for an undergraduate level course. I think that heredity is a challenging topic to cover in a single overview chapter, but HDEV does a good job."
"The topics covered match what I have taught, or wanted to cover, in years past. Because of the pacing of the book, Rathus is able to introduce numerous topics in a way that is engaging and informative without being dry."
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor Companion Website
Everything you need for your course in one place! This collection of book-specific lecture and class tools is available online via www.cengage.com/login. Access and download PowerPoint presentations, images, instructor’s manual, and more.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to: import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want. Every question has undergone a series of accuracy checks and anti-piracy reviews, as well as a multi-point inspection to remove weak question options (e.g. all answers are correct), sharpen ambiguous questions, and ensure balanced coverage of major course concepts, difficulty levels, and Bloom’s Taxonomy. The test bank questions form the basis for the assessments in the HDEV Online product, and are different from the Practice Quizzes available for students.