Request for consultation
This thorough and practical guide to teaching kindergarten through sixth grade level mathematics is a perfect combination of a math methods text and resource book for the pre-service and in-service elementary school teacher. The text's organization uses the NCTM standards as its overarching framework; a rich variety of chapter activities reinforces the standards, and includes many examples of cooperative learning strategies. Content chapters first "develop" a math topic, and then "extend" the same topic, thus providing foundational material for primary grades and even more appropriate material for upper elementary and intermediate grades. Other useful features highlight misconceptions often held about math operations and concepts, ways to be inclusive of various cultural backgrounds, findings from key research in mathematics, and key technology resources.
- Integration of NCTM principles and standards is even more pronounced. The standards serve as organizing themes in the first seven chapters and provide structure for the content chapters (8–16). In addition, new videos (available on the Premium Website) illustrate lessons that integrate the principles.
- Updated research on mathematics teaching and learning as well as technology reflects the most up-to-date trends in elementary school education.
- New activities and lessons appear in every chapter, including technology-enhanced lessons, lessons that incorporate children's literature, take-home activities, and a variety of assessment strategies.
- End-of-chapter material now includes questions and activities suitable for portfolio preparation, examples of standardized questions similar to those in teacher certification tests and state testing programs, and chapter summaries in an easy-to-read bullet-point format.
- Activities in each chapter reinforce the latest NCTM Standards, and include many examples of Cooperative Learning Strategies.
- "Misconception" features throughout the content chapters highlight how and what children often and erroneously think about specific math operations and concepts. These features also help pre-teachers clarify and correct their own misconceptions.
- "Multicultural Connection" features throughout each content chapter provide meaningful ways a teacher can include and value the cultural background of all students in the classroom.
- The chapter organization presents content chapters that first "develop" a math topic, and then "extend" the same topic, thus providing foundational material for primary grades and even more appropriate material for upper elementary and intermediate grades.
- Each content chapter includes "ELL Alerts," comments about problematic areas for English Language Learners.
1. Elementary Mathematics for the 21st Century.
2. Defining a Comprehensive Mathematics Curriculum.
3. Mathematics for Every Child.
4. Learning Mathematics.
5. Organizing Effective Instruction.
6. The Role of Technology in the Mathematics Classroom.
7. Integrating Assessment.
Part II: MATHEMATICAL CONCEPTS, SKILLS, AND PROBLEM SOLVING.
8. Developing Problem-Solving Strategies.
9. Developing Concepts of Number.
10. Extending Number Concepts and Number Systems.
11. Developing Number Operations with Whole Numbers.
12. Extending Computational Fluency with Larger Numbers.
13. Developing Understanding of Common and Decimal Fractions.
14. Extending Understanding of Common and Decimal Fractions.
15. Developing Aspects of Proportional Reasoning: Ratio, Proportion and Percent.
16. Thinking Algebraically.
17. Developing Geometric Concepts and Systems.
18. Developing and Extending Measurement Concepts.
19. Understanding and Representing Concepts of Data.
20. Investigating Probability.
NCTM Table of Standards and Expectations.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Online Instructor's Manual
The accompanying online Instructor's Manual contains information to assist the instructor in designing the course, including sample syllabi, discussion questions, teaching and learning activities, field experiences, learning objectives, and additional online resources.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.