Request for consultation
GUIDE TO OPERATING SYSTEMS, 4E provides the theory and technical information professionals need as they work with today’s popular operating systems, such as Windows, Mac OS, and UNIX/Linuxplatforms. Topics include operating system theory, installation, upgrading, configuring (operating system and hardware), file systems, security, hardware options, and storage, as well as resource sharing, network connectivity, maintenance, and troubleshooting. Designed to be easily understood and highly practical, GUIDE TO OPERATING SYSTEMS, 4E is an excellent resource for training across different operating systems. GUIDE TO OPERATING SYSTEMS, 4E prepares readers to understand the fundamental concepts of computer operating systems. The book specifically addresses Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows Server 2003 and Windows Server 2003 R2, Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2008 R2, SUSE Linux, Fedora Linux, Red Hat Linux, and Mac OS X (Panther, Tiger, Leopard, and Snow Leopard), and provides information on all network operating subjects.
- Expanded information on operating system features and new hardware for most operating systems.
- All-new information with complete steps for installing and upgrading Windows Vista, 7, Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2008 R2, Fedora Linux, and Mac OS X Leopard and Snow Leopard ensures that everything goes smoothly.
- Many new "From the Trenches" features located throughout the textbook offer recent practical examples from real life situations.
- Includes Fedora 13 Live Media DVD to enable readers to perform UNIX/Linux Hands-On Projects located within the text.
- Provides an in-depth survey of modern operating systems, enabling the reader to understand how they work and to compare them feature-by-feature (or topic by topic).
- Includes two appendices covering operating system command-line commands and using Fedora with this book.
- "From the Trenches" stories in each chapter contain examples from the authors' experience, adding color and context through real-life situations.
- Extensive learning tools, including Review Questions, Hands-On Projects, and Case Projects allow review and technical practice.
- Includes Fedora 13 DVD to help students train across UNIX/Linux.
2. Popular Operating Systems.
3. Operating System Hardware Components.
4. File Systems.
5. Installing and Upgrading Operating Systems.
6. Configuring Input and Output Devices.
7. Using and Configuring Storage Devices.
8. Modem and Other Remote Communications Devices.
9. Network Connectivity.
10. Resource Sharing Over a Network.
11. Standard Operating and Maintenance Proceedures.
Appendix A: Operating System Command-Line Commands.
Appendix B: Using Fedora With This Book.
"This textbook is an excellent introduction to operating systems in addition to a fundamental networking course. Students that may be preparing for different certification exams (Microsoft Windows 7, Vista or XP for example, or Linux+) might find this book an exceptional introduction to the similarities and differences to the varying operating systems. I love the idea of having hands on projects and end of chapter case projects. It is important for students to know and know how, but also how to show and do! Integrating authentic activities into the book is excellent practice for future IT practitioners."
"Chapter content is covered in a balanced manner; writing style is clear and structured for easy comprehension."
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Companion Web Site
Find everything you need for your course in one place. This collection of product-specific lecture and class tools is available online via the instructor resource center at www.cengage.com/login. You'll be able to access and download materials, such as PowerPoint® presentations, images, instructor’s manual, videos, and more.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero®, is a flexible, online system that allows you to import, edit, and manipulate content from the text’s test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions. Create multiple test versions in an instant and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.