Request for consultation
GUIDE TO NETWORKING ESSENTIALS provides students with both the knowledge and hands-on skills necessary to work with network operating systems in a network administration environment. By focusing on troubleshooting and not on an exam, this book offers a comprehensive introduction to Networking and to advances in software, wireless and network security. Labs are directly integrated in each chapter to allow for a hands-on experience in the classroom. Updated content reflects the latest networking technology and operating systems including Windows 7/Server 2008 and Linux. Proven pedagogy and comprehensive, non-exam-focused format provides a compelling introduction to network administration.
- Includes two new chapters with thorough coverage of network hardware include a new introductory chapter and a new in-depth chapter.
- Thorough update of technology and standards including coverage of operating system virtualization and cloud computing.
- Includes information based on the latest operating systems including Windows 7/Server 2008, Linux.
- More coverage on IPv6 and virtualization. Virtualization is now a mainstream technology, and the use of virtualization in today's networks is now covered.
- New Challenge Labs give students hands-on experience without step-by-step instructions.
- New Flash simulations included on CD include drag and drop exercises.
- Advances in software, wireless, and security have been updated throughout the book.
- Hands-on and Case Projects throughout text allow for real-life application of material.
- Server Management and Administration are covered in detail on the latest operating systems.
- A hands-on, non-exam approach provides an alternative to traditional introductory networking texts.
- By focusing on troubleshooting, students are prepared for professional challenges faced in the industry.
- Includes extensive learning tools, such as chapter summaries, review questions, hands-on projects and case projects, helping students to practice skills as they learn them, allowing real-life application of material.
- Coverage of virtualization and the latest operating systems in addition to advances in software, wireless and security provide students with the most up-to-date material.
- New chapters on an introduction to in-depth network hardware make this a comprehensive introduction to the field of Networking.
2. Network Hardware Essentials.
3. Network Topologies and Technologies.
4. Networking Media.
5. Network Protocols.
6. Network Reference Models and Standards.
7. Network Hardware in Depth.
8, Network Operating Systems
9. Introduction to Network Security
10, Supporting a Small Business Network
11. Network Administration and Support
12. Enterprise and Wide Area Networks.
13, Solving Network Problems.
Appendix A. Common Networking Standards.
Appendix B. Old or Obsolete Technologies
Appendix C. Planning and Implementing Networks.
Needs Assessment and Justification. Establish the Need for a Network. Network Plan.
Appendix D. Network Troubleshooting Guide.
Appendix E. Networking Resources, Online and Offline.
Appendix F. A Guide to Using Virtualization in the Classroom.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Companion Web Site
Everything you need for your course in one place! This collection of product-specific lecture and class tools is available online via the instructor resource center at www.cengage.com/login. You'll be able to access and download materials such as PowerPoint presentations, images, instructor’s manual, videos, and more.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to: import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.