Request for consultation
Prepare your students with a solid understanding of the fundamentals of information systems using today's most current, concise overview from leading authors Ralph Stair and George Reynolds. FUNDAMENTALS OF INFORMATION SYSTEMS, 7E relies upon nine brief, captivating chapters to explore the core principles of IS and examine how it's practiced today. Students gain a strong understanding of the latest developments and their impact on the rapidly changing role of today's IS professional. As many as 140 new examples and references in each chapter keep the presentation as current as possible. New discussion focuses on the increased use of cloud computing throughout the world and the latest in mobile solutions and challenges in IS today. Students see, first-hand, how information systems can increase profits and reduce costs as they review new information on e-commerce and enterprise systems, artificial intelligence, virtual reality, green computing, and other issues reshaping IS today. Expanded material introduces the challenges and risks of computer crimes and hacking as well as cyberterrorism. This edition presents some of the most recent research on virtual communities and global IS work solutions as well as social networking. No matter what your students' career plans, FUNDAMENTALS OF INFORMATION SYSTEMS, 7E and its resources can help you equip future professionals to function more effectively as employees, decision makers, and leaders in business today.
- UP TO 140 UPDATED REFERENCES AND EXAMPLES PER CHAPTER KEEP LEARNING AS CURRENT AS POSSIBLE AND REFLECT THE LATEST DEVELOPMENTS IN IS TODAY. Your students clearly see how information systems are effectively used today in both personal and professional settings with as many as 140 and no fewer than 50 new, recent examples and new references in each chapter. Each chapter has been completely updated with the latest topics and examples to keep students current with today's quickly changing technology and systems.
- NEW COVERAGE (CH.3) HIGHLIGHTS HOW MANAGERS AND EXECUTIVES USE DATABASE SYSTEMS TO THEIR ADVANTAGE. A new section reviews big data applications and offers new information on how database administrators and data scientists can more effectively analyze what is stored in vast corporate databases. Students examine the increased important of today's data centers and review contemporary concerns about costs, storage capacity, security and backup. New coverage highlights database virtualization.
- THE LATEST INFORMATION ON THE TELECOMMUNICATIONS, NETWORKS, INTERNET, INTRANETS AND EXTRANETS (CH. 4) PREPARES STUDENTS TO MAXIMIZE TODAY'S TECHNOLOGY. New discussions highlight FiOS as well as the role of the IEEE and the IEEE 802.Simplified coverage focuses on 3G and 4G standards with updated material on Wi-Fi and WiMAX technologies. Students examine the rapid growth in wireless data traffic and its significance with even more coverage on smartphones and their applications throughout this edition.
- UPDATES ON CLOUD COMPUTING EXAMINE ITS USE THROUGHOUT THE WORLD. Chapter 4 updates review the latest from Apple® Computer's iCloud, Microsoft®'s Office 365 software and the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE)'s new cloud computing applications for use on Euronext, a European market for stocks, bonds, and other investments.
- THE LATEST INFORMATION ON INTERNET AND WEB APPLICATIONS DEMONSTRATES HOW INDIVIDUALS AND COMPANIES MAXIMIZE ONLINE TOOLS. New coverage of today's social Web sites and newer Web 2.0 technologies now appears at the beginning of this section (Ch. 4). Students see how today's entrepreneurs start successful online companies as well as how other companies use the Internet to resolve business problems, such as distribution. New coverage examines popular free and paid music and movie sites and today's enormous video games industry.
- UPDATES PRESENT THE LATEST DEVELOPMENTS IN E-COMMERCE AND ENTERPRISE SYSTEMS (CH. 5). Examples and figures emphasize the latest growing trends in online consumer research and purchases as well as restrictions and important cautions organizations must consider. Readers discuss the importance of load testing a Web site with familiar examples, such as Target and Best Buy, and examine the growing volume of mobile commerce. Students also review the use of mobile coupons for smartphones and other trends.
- UPDATED MATERIAL ON DECISION MAKING, PROBLEM SOLVING, AND OPTIMIZATION (CH.6) DEMONSTRATES HOW ORGANIZATIONS USE THE LATEST TECHNOLOGY TO MAKE BETTER DECISIONS. Examples highlight how the latest devices, such as new tablet computers, and optimization programs have helped familiar companies significantly reduce costs and make better real-time decisions. Students also examine today's use of technology in market research and advertising throughout the world as well as its benefits in virtual meetings.
- NEW MATERIAL (CH. 7) HIGHLIGHTS TODAY'S MOST RECENT DEVELOPMENTS IN KNOWLEDGE MANAGEMENT, ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE, VIRTUAL REALITY AND MORE. Students review the latest specialized business information systems and expert systems and their use in healthcare, automotive, investment and entertainment industries. Students see new examples of augmented reality, such as heads-up displays on car windshields, as well as examples of knowledge management systems to locate and use critical information. They learn how one organization successfully uses artificial intelligence to pick and trade stocks.
- NEW MATERIAL ON MULTIMEDIA AND VIRTUAL REALITY (CH. 7) DEMONSTRATES TODAY'S MANY USES. From TV animation in ads and 3D movies to the use of virtual reality to treat health disorders and design and manufacture airplanes, readers see innovative uses for today's technology and examine some of the latest developments in areas, such as nanoparticle technology.
- NEW FIGURES AND INFORMATION EXAMINES THE LATEST EXPENDITURES AND REVENUES IN SYSTEM DEVELOPMENT TODAY (CH. 8). Students review the soaring costs in systems development and focus on mobile applications. Readers look at new examples of how specific systems development tools can be used to achieve organizational goals. Students also inspect the latest tools, resources and today's focus on outsourcing. New material emphasizes the increased importance of security in design and implementation, particularly in smartphones and other mobile devices.
- THE MOST CURRENT ISSUES AND DEVELOPMENTS HIGHLIGHT TODAY'S PERSONAL AND SOCIAL IMPACT OF COMPUTERS (CH.9). Students review how today's computers can enhance or detract from productivity with numerous new examples of computer-related waste. Readers also survey the latest trends in computer crime, fraud, and hacking as well as the growing threat of cyberterrorism. In addition, students discuss the latest lawsuits surrounding software use and new examples of computer scams.
- NEW INTRODUCTORY CONTENT (CH. 1) EMPHASIZES THE IMPORTANCE OF TIMELY INFORMATION AND POSITIVE IMPACT OF INFORMATION SYSTEMS TO BUSINESSES AND CONSUMERS. Readers examine the emerging impact of Internet sites, such as Groupon®; the increasing popularity of Internet-based cloud computing; and the importance of smartphones and other mobile devices in IS today. Students examine augmented reality and review today's impact of faulty computer analysis and use of computers in contemporary crimes.
- NEW SECTION ON INNOVATION (CH. 1) STRESSES HOW INFORMATION SYSTEMS ARE USED TO INCREASE PROFITS AND REDUCE COSTS. Readers examine how companies, such as Procter & Gamble, use software to save money and streamline operations. An updated section on competitive advantage demonstrates how executives are looking for new ways to gain the business advantage using smartphones, tablet computers, and powerful applications for the latest devices.
- NEW INFORMATION ON CAREER (CH.1) REFLECTS THE MOST PROMISING JOB OPPORTUNITIES. Students examine the advantages to becoming certified from a software, database, or network company and its direct impact on pay. They review Internet sites that post IS projects for hire and offer information and advice for people working on their own.
- NEW CONTENT (CH.2) INTRODUCES THE LATEST DEVELOPMENTS IN HARDWARE AND SOFTWARE. This edition uses examples from a German financial services company, Facebook®, the Air Force and more to illustrate the effective business use of virtual machines and cloud computing. Students learn to assemble computer systems that are effective, efficient, and well suited to specific tasks. New discussion highlights the ARM computer chip used in smartphones and tablet computers and today's latest Intel® 3D technology.
- UPDATED COST COMPARISON EXAMINES TODAY'S LATEST FORMS OF DATA STORAGE. Students review the latest choices in data storage used by well-known companies throughout the world as well as new speech recognition software and scanning devices to speed workflow and reduce paperwork.
- NEW COVERAGE (CH. 2) PRESENTS LATEST MOBILE SOLUTIONS, THE NEWEST USER-INTERFACES, EMERGING TECHNOLOGIES AND UPDATES ON PROGRAMMING LANGUAGES AND SOFTWARE ISSUES. Readers examine the latest choices in portable and non-portable computers and wireless technology and its use throughout the world. New information on user-interfaces highlights the natural user interface (NUI) or multi-touch interface in mobile devices and PCs, including speech recognition and sight interfaces. Examples highlight the savings in the effective use of application software.
- NEW COVERAGE OF GREEN COMPUTING (CH. 2) HIGHLIGHTS TODAY'S EFFICIENT AND ENVIRONMENTALLY RESPONSIBLE CHOICES. Students survey today's green choices in the design, manufacture, operation, and disposal of IS-related products and review their impact on all types of computers, printers, and printer materials, including cartridges and toner.
- COMPLETELY UPDATED COVERAGE OF SYSTEMS SOFTWARE INTRODUCES THE LATEST OPERATING SYSTEMS. Readers examine Apple®'s latest OS X Lion, Google®'s Android® operating system in smart phones and mobile devices, and Windows® Home Server as well as Microsoft®'s Windows 8, the newest version of Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization (RHEV) software, and Alibaba Cloud Computing.
- OPENING VIGNETTES REFLECT TODAY'S INFORMATION SYSTEMS AT WORK IN ACTUAL COMPANIES THROUGHOUT THE WORLD. Students are drawn into the chapter content as intriguing vignettes highlight familiar organizations, actual issues and interesting IS challenges and issues facing today's U.S., foreign-based and multinational companies.
- "INFORMATION SYSTEMS @ WORK" SPECIAL INTEREST BOXES HIGHLIGHT THE LATEST TOPICS AND TRENDS. Lifted directly from today's leading headlines, these engaging "Information Systems @ Work" features focus on some of the most current topics and trends in IS. These feature boxes show students how to most effectively use information systems to further a variety of business careers.
- "ETHICAL AND SOCIETAL ISSUES" SPECIAL INTEREST BOXES DEMONSTRATE THE CHALLENGES FACING PROFESSIONALS TODAY. Your students gain a better understanding of the numerous ethical challenges today's information systems professionals encounter. Students see, first-hand, how actual information systems professionals confront and react to today's ethical dilemmas.
- CASE STUDIES EXPLORE PRACTICAL SOLUTIONS FOR DILEMMAS IN REAL ORGANIZATIONS. Two new end-of-chapter cases provide a wealth of practical information for your students. Each case follows a real company or actual organization facing a problem or concept discussed in the chapter. You can assign cases for homework or use them to prompt meaningful class discussion.
- THE LATEST, DETAILED COVERAGE PREPARES YOUR STUDENTS TO WORK WITH THE NEWEST DELIVERY MODEL IN INFORMATION SYSTEMS TODAY. Students study multimedia in business today. They examine application development for the iPhone, iPad and similar devices as well as cloud computing to gain a strong background in the most recent technologies. This enables them to maximize the scalable, virtualized resources in this latest internet-driven delivery model for IS.
- UPDATES AND EXAMPLES REFLECT THE LATEST DEVELOPMENTS IN FORECASTING TODAY Prepare your students to maximize contemporary IT tools as this edition details how to use forecasting and other skills to speed delivery and innovation throughout information systems.
- EXAMPLES HIGHLIGHT SUPPLY CHAIN MANAGEMENT (SCM) AND CUSTOMER RELATIONSHIP MANAGEMENT (CRM) AT WORK. Contemporary examples and the latest content in this new edition help prepare your students with both IS and business skills for success as workers, managers, decision makers, and organizational leaders.
- UPDATED COVERAGE OF ORGANIZATIONAL STRUCTURES AND VIRTUAL TEAMS HIGHLIGHTS TODAY'S MOST RECENT DEVELOPMENTS. Readers examine some of today's most recent research on virtual communities and work structures. New coverage explores how social networking sites, such as Facebook and Twitter, assist today's virtual teams. Students further explore how many companies use virtual organizational structures to manage mobile workers.
- STUDENT-FRIENDLY, INVITING LEARNING FEATURES CAPTIVATE AND INFORM READERS. This edition incorporates chapter-opening vignettes, special interest boxes, memorable business examples, and intriguing cases throughout the text to actively involve students in learning.
- "SOCIAL AND ETHICAL ISSUES" QUESTIONS ENCOURAGE CRITICAL THINKING ABOUT INFORMATION SYSTEMS. These "Social and Ethical Issues" questions, woven throughout end-of-chapter exercises, provide thought-provoking discussions related to today's information systems.
1. An Introduction to Information Systems in Organizations.
Part II: TECHNOLOGY.
2. Hardware and Software.
3. Database Systems and Business Intelligence.
4. Telecommunications, the Internet, Intranets, and Extranets.
Part III: BUSINESS INFORMATION SYSTEMS.
5. Electronic and Mobile Commerce and Enterprise Systems.
6. Information and Decision Support Systems.
7. Knowledge Management and Specialized Information Systems.
Part IV: SYSTEMS DEVELOPMENT AND SOCIAL ISSUES.
8. Systems Development.
Part V: INFORMATION SYSTEMS IN BUSINESS AND SOCIETY.
9. The Personal and Social Impact of Computers.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Companion Website
Find everything you need for your course in one place. This collection of book-specific lecture and class tools is available online via www.cengage.com/login. Access and download PowerPoint® presentations, images, instructor’s manual, videos, and more.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero®, is a flexible, online system that allows you to import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions. Create multiple test versions in an instant and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.