Request for consultation
Written by authors who have an extensive track record teaching the Introduction to Business course, the fourth edition of this best-selling text features an up-to-date, comprehensive survey of business, including management and organization, human resource management, marketing, social media and e-business, information systems, accounting, and finance. Core topics highlighted within these areas include ethics and social responsibility, small business concerns and entrepreneurship, and global issues. New coverage in this edition closely examines cutting-edge topics such as the impact of social media on business, the economic crisis, green and socially responsible business, and sustainability. In addition to updating and revitalizing the content, the authors have refined the program to be even more accessible and student-friendly. The fourth edition is also now available as MindTap™, an online personalized learning experience.
- The fourth edition is now available as MindTap™, an online personalized learning experience: www.cengage.com/mindtap.
- Completely new in-depth coverage of social media has been included in the chapter on e-business.
- Accounting coverage has been streamlined for the introductory business student and covered with the topic of management information systems.
- Each chapter has been thoroughly updated to provide the most recent data and examples. New topics include the current status of the economic crisis, new information about the national debt, the latest news in social media, the flourishing app world, competition in the global environment today, the latest productivity trends and lean manufacturing, new coverage of the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act, and China's emergence as one of the world's largest economies.
- Each chapter now includes a social media exercise within the "Building Skills for Career Success" section.
- Two Personal App features within each chapter provide visually enhanced student-centered examples to illustrate main text concepts.
- All "Inside Business" cases are new to this edition and introduce the theme of each chapter by focusing on real-world companies such as Starbucks, Google, Intel, Cisco, Coca-Cola, and Amazon.
- All boxed features are new but continue to emphasize the theme of success: Striving for Success, Ethical Success or Failure, Entrepreneurial Success, and Career Success. Two additional features focus on hot-off-the-press information about sustainability and social media.
- New end-of-chapter video cases highlight contemporary situations facing well-known companies such as Zappos, Lenovo, and The Container Store.
- The theme of success is highlighted throughout the text to give students insight into best practices for attaining business and career goals.
- "Why You Should Care" features begin each chapter to show students the relevance of business in their lives.
- "Concept Checks" at the end of each major topic help students self-check their understanding of each important concept.
- "Test Yourself" quizzes at the end of each chapter prepare students for exams.
- The ongoing video case featured at the end of each part has been thoroughly revised with new information about Graeter's, a specialty ice cream retailer. This firsthand look into one business's day-to-day operations allows students to gain a better understanding of the real challenges that business owners face. Students also can apply what they learn by analyzing problems, solutions, and actions taken at the company.
- The Building Skills for Career Success feature focuses on skills students can learn and use right now and includes three different types of exercises: Social Media, Building Team Skills, and Researching Different Careers.
- The end-of-part Building a Business Plan project walks students step-by-step through the preparation of a real business plan.
- Five appendixes are also available online: "Understanding Personal Finances and Investments"; "Careers in Business"; "Enhancing Union-Management Relations"; "Risk Management and Insurance"; and "Business Law, Regulation, and Taxation."
- Four learning modules also are available for instructors to use or to create a customized textbook for students: "Crisis Management: The Effects of Disasters on Business," "Sports Marketing," "Customer Relationship Management," and "Marketing Ethics."
- The instructor's support package includes helpful teaching tools. The Instructor's Resource Manual (IRM) features unique, easy-to-navigate layouts and several helpful ready-to-duplicate classroom activities for each chapter. The companion instructor site includes a complete IRM in PDF format, chapter IRM and Test Bank Word files, and two PowerPoint® slide decks: a comprehensive set of instructionally designed slides focused on student engagement and learning as well as slides outlining lecture content.
- Primarily written and class-tested by the text's authors, the Test Bank contains over 5,000 items. Each chapter test includes essay, true/false, multiple-choice, and mini-case questions. All questions are tagged to provide information on the correct answer, learning objective correlation, level of difficulty, text page reference, and business program (AACSB) outcomes and by Bloom's taxonomy level.
- Video modules correlate to the chapters in the textbook and help bring your lectures to life. Lecture launcher videos about a fictitious company called Urban Farmz feature a variety of interesting characters who bring business concepts to life in an engaging and lighthearted way. The chapter videos provide thought-provoking insight into real-world companies, products, and issues. The DVD also includes videos to support the continuing end-of-part "Running a Business" case.
- The student CourseMate site includes a wealth of study aids to help with understanding and retention: glossary, flashcards, interactive quizzes, student PowerPoint® slides, and fun learning activities.
- CengageNOW is available as an online homework tool that allows you to assign auto-graded activities before or after class. CengageNOW also is available within MindTap™ as a MindApp.
1. Exploring the World of Business and Economics.
2. Being Ethical and Socially Responsible.
3. Exploring Global Business.
Part II: BUSINESS OWNERSHIP AND ENTREPRENEURSHIP.
4. Choosing a Form of Business Ownership.
5. Small Business, Entrepreneurship, and Franchises.
Part III: MANAGEMENT AND ORGANIZATION.
6. Understanding the Management Process.
7. Creating a Flexible Organization.
8. Producing Quality Goods and Services.
Part IV: HUMAN RESOURCES.
9. Attracting and Retaining the Best Employees.
10. Motivating and Satisfying Employees and Teams.
Part V: MARKETING.
11. Building Customer Relationships Through Effective Marketing.
12. Creating and Pricing Products That Satisfy Customers.
13. Distributing and Promoting Products.
Part VI: INFORMATION FOR BUSINESS STRATEGY AND DECISION MAKING.
14. Understanding Social Media and e-Business.
15. Using Management Information Systems and Accounting Information.
16. Mastering Financial Management.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Resource DVD
For your convenient reference and use, all of the videos for this edition's end-of-chapter and end-of-part cases are included in this DVD.
Instructor's Companion Website
Find everything you need for your course in one place! This collection of book-specific lecture and class tools is available online via www.cengage.com/login. Access and download PowerPoint® presentations, images, instructor's manual, videos, and more.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access for Pride/Hughes/Kapoor's Foundations of Business
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero®, is a flexible, online system that allows you to import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions. Create multiple test versions in an instant and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.