Request for consultation
MacKinnon's ETHICS: THEORY AND CONTEMPORARY ISSUES—CONCISE EDITION, 2E presents focused coverage of the major areas of ethical theory and an engaging collection of contemporary moral debates. The concise edition removes readings found in the market-leading comprehensive edition, but the remainder of the content is identical, providing a balanced and effective introduction to ethics that integrates theory with today's most pressing moral issues. Rigorous, yet reader-friendly, illuminating overviews and selections of readings from both traditional and contemporary sources make even complex philosophical concepts accessible for students. Comprehensive, clear-sighted introductions to general and specific areas of ethical debate cover major ethical theories, including feminist ethics, contract theory, and ethical relativism, before delving into issues ranging from euthanasia and sexual morality to war and globalization. Increased coverage of contemporary dilemmas highlights issues of widespread interest, including torture and terrorism, "partial birth" abortion, cloning, same-sex marriage, and global distributive justice. An innovative online resource center offers, among other things, animated simulations. These simulations offer students the opportunity to personally engage with dilemmas and thought experiments commonly presented in introduction to ethics classes and provide instructors with a way to seamlessly integrate online assignments into the class.
- Two new chapters have been added: one focuses on feminist thought and the ethics of care, the other, on contractarianism.
- Overviews are updated with current events and research ensuring relevant and factual examples.
- The innovative Resource Center is updated and expanded, and still includes interactive learning modules that use flash-animated ethics simulations.
- A four-color layout designed with readability and student interest in mind. Opening vignettes in each chapter are highlighted with illustrations to help focus and engage today's visually oriented student.
- Valuable introductions to guide learning: Extended introductions in this edition's chapters on theory provide detailed summaries of the theories, major issues, positions, and arguments. Extended introductions for the applied ethics chapters highlight relevant cases and place information within the context of current news events.
- Balanced presentation: This book introduces traditional ethics as developed in the European tradition, while still emphasizing a range of cultural, gender, racial, and international perspectives.
- Assistance in writing papers: Because writing philosophy papers often poses a significant challenge for today's students, a 12-page appendix dedicated to writing ethics papers provides much-needed assistance. In addition, topics and resources for written assignments appear within discussion cases, the text's companion website, and within each end-of-chapter bibliography.
- Intriguing chapter openings: Actual, interesting life events, hypothetical dialogue, or recent empirical data at the beginning of each chapter capture students' interest and direct their attention to the engaging readings that follow.
- Effective learning aids: Study Questions at the beginning of each reading help students focus and become critically engaged with the content. Review Exercises at the end of each chapter can also serve as test or exam questions. Discussion Cases, following each chapter in the second part of the text, encourage profitable classroom discussion.
2. Ethical Relativism.
5. Kant's Moral Theory.
7. Morality and Human Nature.
8. Virtue Ethics.
9. Feminist Thought and the Ethics of Care.
12. Sexual Morality.
13. Equality and Discrimination.
14. Economic Justice.
15. Legal Punishment.
16. Environmental Ethics.
17. Animal Rights.
18. Stem Cell Research, Cloning, and Genetic Engineering.
19. Violence, Terrorism, and War.
20. Global Issues and Globalization.
Appendix: How to Write and Ethics Paper.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Everything you need for your course in one place! This collection of book-specific lecture and class tools is available online via www.cengage.com/login. Access and download PowerPoint presentations, images, instructor's manual, videos, and more.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero is a flexible, online system that allows you to: import, edit, and manipulate test bank content from the Ethics: Theory and Contemporary Issues, Concise Edition test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.