Request for consultation
The new edition of this brief introductory text retains the hallmark features that have made its parent text unique, while offering a more manageable, student-friendly format. The book was written with three goals in mind: to make the study of psychology accessible and engaging to the beginning student in psychology, to provide students with a solid grounding in the knowledge base in psychology, and to help students succeed in the course. Nevid's comprehensive learning system-derived from research on memory, learning, and textbook pedagogy-is featured throughout. This learning model incorporates what the author calls the "Four E's of Effective Learning"-Engaging Student Interest, Encoding Information, Elaborating Meaning, and Evaluating Progress. ESSENTIALS OF PSYCHOLOGY: CONCEPTS AND APPLICATIONS, 4th Edition, provides a broad view of psychology as well as applications of the knowledge gained from contemporary research to the problems and challenges we face in today's world.
- New! In addition to being listed in chapter openers, Learning Objectives are now integrated within modules to guide and focus students' reading. The integrated objectives replace "Did You Know That. . ." survey questions, which now appear only at the beginning of each chapter.
- New! Recite It sections in the module reviews now feature a fill-in-the blanks format, further promoting students' active learning by asking them to recall key information.
- New! Application sections are now integrated within modules in a new Applying Psychology in Daily Life feature, complementing the narrative while engaging students with insightful and practical information. These sections illustrate how psychologists apply the knowledge they have gained from their research studies to real-life problems, and how concepts relate to students own lives. Topics include "Psychology and Pain Management," "Putting Reinforcement into Practice," and "Becoming a Creative Problem Solver."
- New! To address many instructors' teaching preferences, coverage of social psychology appears earlier in the text as Chapter 12, immediately following the chapter on personality theories.
- New! Each chapter provides students with QR codes for access to a chapter preview podcast and a See It Now video that complements a key topic-meeting today's "digital" learners in their comfort zone while enticing them to actively participate in understanding, retaining, and applying psychology's principles.
- The book is revised throughout with the latest research and real-world examples, including expanded coverage on the psychological effects of social media on today's youths.
- Chapter-ending visual overviews help students visualize connections among key concepts in summary form.
- A learning-centric approach is designed to help students encode and retain key concepts in psychology. Keystones of the approach include pedagogical tools such as Interactive Concept Maps, Concept Links highlighting connections among key concepts across chapters, Module Reviews to help students gauge their knowledge of the material, Concept Signaling (which highlights both key concepts and key terms in the text margins), and Concept Charts that offer "at-a-glance" summaries of key concepts to reinforce new knowledge.
- The text employs the Survey, Question, Read, Recite, Review (SQ3R) study method to enhance learning and encourage students to adopt a more active role in the learning process.
- The IDEA Model of Course Assessment-unique to Nevid's texts-maps specific learning goals (tied to APA goals) to measurable skills students acquire in their first exposure to psychology. The model is based on an acronym, IDEA: "Identify" key figures in the history of psychology, parts of nervous system, etc.; "Define or Describe" key concepts and key features of major psychological theories; "Evaluate or Explain" underlying processes and mechanisms of behavior and mental processes; and "Apply" psychological concepts to examples.
- The IDEA Model is executed throughout each chapter, beginning with a listing of learning objectives that are formulated with active learning verbs and linked to measurable learning outcomes. The model is integrated with the test-item file, allowing instructors to select items measuring these particular outcomes-to Identify, Define or Describe, Evaluate or Explain, and Apply knowledge.
- The Brain Loves a Puzzle questions engage student interest and encourage critical thinking by challenging them to think more deeply about information in the text needed to solve the puzzles.
2. Biological Foundations of Behavior.
3. Sensation and Perception.
7. Thinking, Language, and Intelligence.
8. Motivation and Emotion.
9. Human Development.
10. Psychology and Health.
12. Social Psychology.
13. Psychological Disorders.
14. Methods of Therapy.
Appendix A: Sample Answers to Thinking Critically About Psychology Questions.
Appendix B: Answers to Recall It Questions.
Appendix C: Statistics in Psychology.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
These vibrant Microsoft® PowerPoint® lecture slides for each chapter assist you with your lecture by providing concept coverage using images, figures, and tables directly from the textbook.
Online Test Bank
Organize your course and capture your students' attention with the resources found in the Test Bank, including multiple-choice, true/false, short-answer, and essay questions--most with answers and page references for each chapter of the text.
Online Instructor's Resource Manual
Streamline and maximize the effectiveness of your course preparation using such resources as brief chapter outlines, chapter summaries, extensively detailed chapter lecture outlines, lecture suggestions, video suggestions, and creative lecture and teaching suggestions. This manual also contains student learning objectives, key terms, essay/discussion questions, student activities, discussion exercises, and Internet exercises.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to: import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.